What's new

IGN spanks Bruce Lee (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Video games are known for taking legendary characters from history and using them in games and this one is no different
I think there is nothing wrong with using characters, but when you use a person's social image, likeness, and name for something after they have been dead for a while, then that's kinda wrong. Using the Terminator is one thing because you are using the Terminator, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The main problem I have is that they took what appears to be a bad game and stuck his name on it to sell copies.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
While I do agree with you, your logic can be turned around. The people in those commercials are those actors in films portraying characters. They are being used for those commercials because of the fact that their characters are well known. How is this any different from the Bruce Lee thing?
Because they are being used to promote products they never really used.In the game it is an adventure portraying the characters in which you become them. In essence, BRUCE LEE is the product and you are buying into the business of Bruce Lee. Just because an actor dies doesn't mean the business of them or their legend ends. I think anyone would like to know their popularity lends them into continuing on where people can pretend to be them in a game format. Unfortunately in this situation it's a very bad game.

I rented it today and let me tell you that it is every bit as bad as the review says it is.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Celebrities might advertise products they never use, but still do the ads. I've seen Kevin Bacon do an ad for seeing-eye dogs, but he's not blind.
Yes but at least they choose to support the product.
Again, in the case of a game that features a dead celebrity it isn't about hawking a product it's about hawking the actor. In the case of Bruce Lee- (Which I may point out wasn't his real name, it was his STAGE NAME. His real name is Lee Jun Fan) this is about marketing Bruce lee and becoming him in a game that supports what he did as a celebrity Not about him saying, you like me so you will like XYZ beer even though I'm dead.

Would you be ok if they released an Enter the dragon game. They make games based on movies all the time. Just like the movie the Thing. If they had a dead actor in that do they leave him out?
Many actors and movies were made during a time when they didn't even have video games.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Boy, I leave you kids alone for a few weeks, and nothing changes! Leave Morgan alone. ;) Point is, as seems to be the case with most licences, the game is simply BAD. I for one would love to see a great martial arts game with Bruce Lee, but for now will simply enjoy Jann Lee in DOA3. More or less Bruce himself.
Kip

GaryAR

Agent
"the game is simply BAD."

this thread summed up in one short sentance.
i rented it from blockbuster because all their copies of outlaw golf were out. BIG mistake. i played it for about five minutes, and i couldn't take any more.

on a more positive note, i bought motogp. that game, on the other hand, is awesome.

-gary

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have nothing wrong with them making movie-based games, but the Bruce Lee game uses his image as a selling point. Whether he is always kicking guys' asses all the time or not, we still think of him as this cool guy who knew a ton of chop-socky style fighting skills. We (as in the general public) don't think of his real name, his morals, his goals, etc. They are using his public image to sell a BAD game after his death.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
anyone ever play China Warrior for the Tuirbo Grafx 16?
that was bruce lee without the name 100%.

oh, and the game sucked as well

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"This is a friendly discussion we are having. No one is attacking Morgan."

Agreed.

I think the fundamental thing here is the difference between one's onscreen image and one's off screen life, that is to say, one's real life. It is Bruce Lee's cinematic persona that is used in video games, good or bad (so far I think they've all been bad). No one should confuse that with the man himself. Morgan, I think you are failing to differentiate between the two. Arguing that the entertainment value derived from the onscreen character Lee created should die with him makes no sense to me. Marilyn Monroe's screen image lives on long after her death, in a variety of forms (though she wouldn't really lend herself to a video game!) because the screen image she created is immortal. She's dead - this in no way hurts her. It isn't as if her image is being used to sell crack or something questionable like that. Same thing with Lee.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, when I (like most people) think of any celebrity, I think of their on-screen image unless they did something really big like went to drug rehab or something. Celebrities from the past are remembered by their movies, so their off-screen image is lost and replaced by their on-screen image. They are using his on-screen image to promote the game, and while that is different from his off-screen image, I don't know his off-screen image, and thus, base the game on his on-screen image. In this sense, they are using his public image to sell the game after his death.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Arguing that the entertainment value derived from the onscreen character Lee created should die with him makes no sense to me.
Great point.

Morgan, you keep saying his 'public' image when his 'public' image was a path chosen by him that directly involved fame. Fame doesn't necessarily stop at death.
How about this for another example. Walter Payton was a great football player.If EA sports or Sega released a Walter Payton football game or a game that featured the old stars and had their pictures on the box, is that wrong? Do we stop trying to emulate our favorite movie and sports stars because they die?

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
The Marilyn Monroe game? Hmmm
River of No Return raft adventure, Niagra boat fight, Bus Stop rodeo adventures, avoid the psycho baby sitter from Don't Bother to Knock, ..... :)
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks