What's new

If your TV has Component Video Inputs will it display High Definition from HD Source? (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
My Wega has COmponent VIdeo inputs and I want to know if I can send progressive scan from my DVD to it and GET HD output on the TV. Are all TV's with component video inputs capable of HD?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
No, you must have a digital HD ready TV or a progressive scan capable EDTV TV in order to use progressive scan from your DVD player to your TV via the component output/inputs. HD is another issue altogether. Most good quality analog TVs have component inputs but cannot display a progressive scan or HDTV picture.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On my HDTV I have two inputs, one is for 480i from a DVD player the other is for 480p EDTV or 1080i HDTV...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You cannot display any HD source unless your TV is HDTV capable. Not all component video equipped tv's are capable of HD. Which Wega do your have?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just one additional note, I did recently get HDTV hooked up for a guy that had an older GE that could receive 480p on its component inputs, the HDTV downconverted to EDTV (480p) was quite good and the customer seems very happy with it.

It really depends on the set though. If it only recieves 480i on it's component video in's, there isn't much advantage at all for HDTV.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You need a digital TV (the Sony WEGAs are only analog) to input progressive DVD format (480p) or HD formats (720p,1080i) signals. With an analog set, your component video only supports interlaced 480i mode.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Well, the FS- and FV-series WEGAs are NTSC-only sets. The HV-, HS-, and XBR-series WEGAs are ATSC-capable (480p and 1080i). In fact, many critics are calling the KV-34XBR910 the "finest" direct-view set on the market this season.

But to reinforce what the others are saying here, the mere fact of component-video inputs does not mean a set can receive and display HD.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Component inputs are now on all but the cheapest analog sets. They actually first appeared on the analog 35" Sony XBRs late in 1997, I had one.

Lately we've been seeing folks automatically assuming component inputs meant the set would do 480p from a progressive scan player and now we've got others thinking it automatically means the set is HD-capable. This is not the case. Component inputs will give a better picture on an analog set even though they are still just 480i, difference being mainly in color fidelity and contrast ratio, and most visible on larger screens.

All tv sets come with a little booklet called an owner's manual, and in this booklet one can determine what scanrates the tv is capable of displaying.

In addition, in all my shopping for tvs for myself and others I've never seen an HD capable set that was not described as such on the tag on the display shelf. If that tag doesn't say it's HD capable, it's not HD capable, Period.

Paying a little attention when buying a tv and/or actually reading the owner's manual that comes with the set can really eliminate a lot of confusion.

jasonSH

Auditioning
Not to go disgreeing with anyone because I am anything BUT adn expert in this arena...BUT I will say this from personal experience...

I used to have a Panasonic 32" True Flat Tau (non-HDTV but with component inputs)...Knowing that I was planning on purchasing a true 36" HDTV set in the near future, I ordered the HDTV Cable Box from Comcast. They came and set it up and for 3 months (after changing the resolution output on the cable box to 480), I was able to view ALL the HDTV channels and they looked beautiful distinctly crisp. Now I understand that this is not the quality of the 1080 HD I now get with my JVC 36" IArt HDTV (to me the best 36" HDTV set on the market by the way IMO), but if your question is whether or not it is possible to view HDTV channels and broadcasts on a non-HDTV set with component inputs, the answer (atleast with the Panasonis Tau 32") is Yes...though it may not be technically TRUE HD, it will display and look pretty dog on good!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I think you were probably seeing the converted analog output from the cable box to the TV. Kind of like when you have cable and they advertise on a TV show that says "Broadcast in HighDefinition" and you can still see it because the feed getting to your analog TV is either analog or converted to analog along the way.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

You were able to view the HD channels because the box converted them to SD. This is the way it is supposed to work. The poster was asking if having component inputs enabled him to view HD from an HD source. This is a very different thing and the answer to that question is no. But he can (as you have) view SD from an HD source as long as his HD sat/cable box allows him to convert it to 480i/p (not all boxes do this).

Actually it is not even close to true HD, it is by definition SD. It is usually clearer and less compressed than regular TV because the source is HD, a superior transmission method to analog NTSC.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

NOT TRUE!

People get this confused, and the word "digital" is more confusing. That a television is a digital display (this defines HOW it creates a picture) is IRRELEVANT to the display capabilities of the set. There are MANY analog TVs (those being CRTs) that are capable of displaying high definition signals. Some even have digital inputs. However, they are still ANALOG displays.

Likewise, there are digital televisions, that CANNOT display high-definition video.

Don't confuse the TYPE of display, with what resolutions it is capable of displaying.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

For that matter, you can do the same thing with a plain-vanilla composite input, which I do with my old 27" Magnavox. The PQ is indeed better than ANY other source, but as others have pointed out, all you're seeing is HD downconverted to SD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks