What's new

If Xbox can produce 1080i (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Well, if Xbox can produce 1080i...Then why can't someone make a DVD that is coded in the "game" code (that bypasses the DVD movie area of the Xbox) and lets individuals see what prerecorded 1080i is capable of being like?

Are there any games that use 1080i? (game play, cut scenes, or both) Any games that are going to be 1080i down the line?

Why couldn't someone just make a 1080i DVD game that is just one big cut scene that shows what 1080i is capable of?

Does the Xbox use the “blue laser” technology that everyone is talking about with HD-DVD’s?

Thanks for all your help and assistance!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Graham

Agent
Madden 2002 supports 1080i, but from my understanding the xbox and games actually do an upconversion to 1080i so it's not a true 1080i. Can anyone back me up on this or set the record straight?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard anything about Madden 2002 supporting 1080i. The only games that I have heard of on the horizon are Sega GT 2002 and Test Drive. Still unconfirmed and both coming these next months.

Until then no one really knows if it is upconverting it to 1080i or true 1080i.

I'm beginning to think that 1080i and 720p support was an after thought now and it will never get used correctly.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
The current issue of either Home THeater or Sound and Vision has a goo write-up about why HD-DVD is not hear yet. The Xbox does NOT use anything different than regular DVD readers - no blue lasers. A standard DVD could hold a little 1080i information, but the current lasers can't read it quick enough. The video you see on screen doesn't get read directly from the disc, it is generated by the Xbox's processor. So, no you can't put a 1080i cutscene on the standard disc because the Xbox (or any current player) can't read enough info, fast enough to produce a full HDTV picture. The Xbox, in theory, can produce 1080i scenes - but I think they would either be upconverted, or compressed in some way (in other words, not near the quality of a true 1080i by 1900 resolution HDTV broadcast).

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
The Xbox is set to max out at 1024x768, so any 1080i would be an upconversion of that. Still, it beats the pants off of 640x480.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
That Madden info started in a completely erroneous NextGen article. It does not support 1080i. Madden, and all other current Xbox games, support 480i & 480p.

-Dave

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Running a game at 1024x768 requires a considerable amount of horsepower, or a compromise in graphic detail. For simpler games, I suspect it will be possible, but for games with Halo/DOA3/Rallisport type graphics, running at that resolution while keeping the intricate details and framerate would be a tough job.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Is the X-Boxes 64 megs shared between the Video Card and the Processor like on the PS2, or do they each have independant memory? If so, the X-Box could EASILY produce 1042x768

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
The 64 megs is supposed to be global, or unified. You /theoretically/ should be able to allocate as much of that 64 megs as you want to whichever areas you want.
I think that the Xbox could do fairly complex games in 1024x768 with that 64 megs. Developers have been known to do some pretty creative things to get around system limitations before. If a developer is hell bent on offering up 1080i in a game, then they probably could find a way. Weather or not they will beat their heads against a wall trying to find a way to appease the minority of HD gamers out there is another question :D

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The problem really is that the graphics throughput is 'a'. Do you want to put that into running smooth at 1080i, or do you want to make it only run smooth at 'normal' resolution (which is all most of your customers can use) by piling in four times as much detail on screen?

Scott Graham

Agent
If Madden only supports 480i and 480p then if it was run under 1080i on the xbox wouldn't the picture be distorted? I'm asking because I did set my xbox to 1080i and the picture was just amazing, that is unless the xbox will automatically switch back to 480p even after I set it at 1080i. However to my knowledge it did run under 1080i.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
No, Scott, you were seeing 480p. Despite your settings in the dashboard. The software determines the resolution...in other words, Madden was never designed to run at any resolution greater than 480p.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Madden does not run at 1080i. I have my X-Box set to 1080i as well, but it won't output that unless the game supports it.

As a matter of fact, I think Madden looks pretty bad on my 50" widescreen HDTV. Way too many jaggies...

Scott Graham

Agent
Ok.. after seeing this thread I figured it only ran in 480p but I wanted to make sure that even though I had it set to 1080i it would automatically adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks