1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the problem my HDTV or my cables?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh Q S, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Josh Q S

Josh Q S Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure where to ask this...

I have my video game consoles/DVD player hooked up to my Zenith TV via AV Tool's component splitter:

http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt-5842.htm

Here's my TV:

http://www.audioreview.com/HDTV-Digi...6_2727crx.aspx

When I play Dragon's Lair on my Xbox at 1080i, I've noticed that certain colors create faintly discolored lines across the screen (green bricks, or highlights in wooden doors are examples of what causes the effect)

I've recently noticed the anomaly during Tony Hawk (running in 480p), but it's much more subtle.

I tried Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker in 480p and the effect is basically non-existent (maybe I'm just seeing things, haha [​IMG])

My progressive scan DVD player seems to work fine except for bright objects on dark backgrounds. Closing credits, for example produce the most noticeable side-effects, like this:

********Kevin*Smith*as*Silent*Bob**********

*******************and*********************

********Will*Farrell*as*Iforget************
    ********Bob*Sagat*as*Himself***************

Pretend this is white text on a black background, and where you see the asterix marks (****), they represent a solid bar that is slightly lighter than the rest of the black background. That's about the best way that I can explain the anomaly :/

I also tried my Dreamcast hooked up through DVI (VGA box) and there seemed to be no bars... I think..

Sounds like a cable problem in combination with something on my HDTV that I need to turn off (the scan velocity modulation or dynamic focus, maybe? It's not in the basic menus though)

Any help on this subject would be appreciated VERY much. Any suggestions on things to test or look for is also more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, not sure. I run both X-Box and HDTV at 1080i through my AV Toolbox switcher and haven't noticed any degredation. And I don't think SVM can cause lighter bars across the screen like that.

Have you adjusted the convergence / other picture settings lately (i.e. gone through an Avia or V.E. setup). That might help.

Better yet, let's blame Dragon's Layer 3D ... it's a sad and misguided attempt to bring back one of the coolest games ever (sorry, I was SERIOUSLY dissapointed in DL3D).

Good luck,

adam

3. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

What happens when you run it straight to the tv. This would at least let you know if it is the switcher. I have a hitachi 36" hdtv and on some xbox games I get vertical lines in the background. Tried everything and the only time they go away is if I run it in 480i.

4. Josh Q S

adamKI: I'd love to blame Dragon's Lair 3D, too, haha [​IMG] I haven't done ANY tweaking (aside from brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.) since I got the TV. It's a refurbished item, so I'm wondering now about some stupid settings that might have been changed :/

I've tried running the games directly hooked up to my TV but I'm still experiencing the same problems, so I'm pretty sure it's not the AV Toolbox's switcher :/

5. Josh Q S

Anyone else have any idea?

6. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

If its happening on several devices it sounds like a problem with your TV. Have you tried your equiptment on another TV?

Johnny

7. Josh Q S

I'm pretty sure it's the TV now, but it seems the cables might have something to do with it too. The effect does happen when I have my Dreamcast plugged into it via DVI cables (VGA), but it's *VERY* slight, and only noticeable in the most extreme cases (eg. playing Tony Hawk 2 in 2-player mode, having the 1st player skate around while the 2nd player stands still and has their screen filled with lighter colors. Like I said, *VERY* subtle).

Something new I noticed while playing Metal Gear: Substance on Xbox. Usually, when there's white text on black backgrounds, the white tex will create horizontal "ghost" lines across the screen. However, I noticed that if the black in the background is *PURE* black; like, completely black, the effect doesn't seem to rear its ugly head. It seems as though the effect is most strongly visible in the following 2 situations:

1) In 1080i mode (I've only tested this with Dragon's Lair 3D)

2) When white text is on VERY dark backgrounds (not pitch black, though)

I have this feeling in my bones that this anomoly could be fixed if I went into the service menu and calibrated my HDTV... Just a hunch though, since it's a refurbished model.