What's new

If money's no problem what Paradigm speakers would you use for a 7.1 setup? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
When I get moved next month I'm going to go to a 7.1 setup. I want all Paradigm speakers and I'm curious as to what I should use. Thanks

james e m

Second Unit
I would buy the set up I already own! ;) Two Paradigm Reference Studio 100s, four Studio 20s, and one Studio CC. You will love them, I feel you can't do much better for the money.
James

Chip E

Screenwriter
Money's no object ? Get 7 Studio 100's & 1 Servo 15 sub...lol. Dolby, i believe, specs identical speakers all the way around anyway.. :D

Erich S

Agent
What can your room (and wallet) fit? Studio/100s all around, maybe three on each side to get diffuse surround :), would be great. Can you fit a Studio/100 or Studio/40 for the center? I use two Studio/20s on each side rather than an ADP since my side walls are irregular.

Nick V

Second Unit
I'd go with 6 Studio 100's and either a Studio 20 or a studio 40 for your centre depending on what you can fit. If you're going front projection, and you're sitting far enough back that a perforated screen isn't a problem for you, I'd even go for a Studio 100 in the centre!!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would find 7 Active-40s on the used market. Barring that, I'd find out when the new Paradigm high-end lineup is coming to market and would buy a set of those...

If I had to buy now, I'd get:

fronts: Studio 40s (I prefer these over the 100s)
Rears: Studio 40s
Sides: ADP-450s
Center: Studio CC
subs: 2 servo-15s

This is of course assuming an all Paradigm setup...

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
It really depends on the room, but if money were no object and you are using a frnt projector, I would be looking hard into using 3 studio 100's accross the front and a pair for the back wall. Add 2 studio adp's for sides and the servo 15 to feel in down low (2 would be better, but you said 7.1) For the whole 7.1 setup, in us dollars it should run a bit under 5k. Add another $1200-1300 for a second servo-15.

Because of space and monitary issues (biggest reason), I chose a 5.1 system. I have 2 studio 100s, a studio cc (I have a RPTV and no way to use a 40 or 60), 2 studio 20's, and a servo 15 in a 17.5 x 21.5 room. I will upgrade later and get a couple of studio adp's.

Heywood

Auditioning
Realistically speaking, I'd get Studio 60's for the front, Studio CC for center, Studio ADP's for side surrounds and Studio 20's for rear surrounds. Servo15 would round out the package. All speakers timbre-matched very well.
As far as some mentioning 3(and more?) Studio 100's for the front, who would break up a set and sell you one? If somebody actually sold you one, where the 'ell would you put it?:eek:And driving just 2 Studio 100's, you need/require a lot of power....I can just imagine trying to drive 6 of them!:D

Ron_L

Second Unit
Ok, Heywood. Here's what i'd install if I had the cash for power/processor wise in a studio100 application.

Lexicon MC8/12 Processor

5 QSC mxA1500 power amps.

The three front would be bi-amped with the side and rear surrounds running normally.

DBX or Behringer eqs units for the system in between the lexi and qscs.

This would be for a front projection setup of course.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I was using 4 Studio-40 all around, but then I had a really good deal on a pair of Studio-100. I wasn't sure and was skeptical, because I already had a Servo-15 for bass. But, I was really surprised by the bigger soundstage compare to the 40's. So now I use Studio-100 in front, 2 Studio-40 in the back, 2 Studio-20 for back centers, and a Studio-CC.

I don't see why anyone would use something bigger then Studio-20 for back centers, because they are scarcely used and never put on any strain. For DVD-A and SACD 4 Studio-100 would be ideal... but I prefer my Studio-40 on a nice stands in the back 2 feets above ear level (tough to put Studio-100 at this heigth...). Some people prefer having the backs at ear level, but me I prefer 2 feet high for HT. Personnal choice.

I have both at home, but for me the Studio-100 smoke the Studio-40 in front...(IMHO).

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Lévesque,

Would you consider 20's for the sides instead of 40's? Do you think the difference would be that noticeable? I have 100's and the CC, but have put off getting the studios for the "back four." I'm hoping to save some cash by getting four 20's instead of four 40's.

Thanks,
Martin.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
For HT, I think that 2 Studio-20 would do pretty well for the sides. But for DVD-A and SACD, you can listen to the 40's "full-range". It all depends to what you want to listen. If you are not interested in DVD-A and SACD, then go for the 20's, they will do an awesome job. :D

Me, I listen to alot of SACD and DVD-A, and like to go "full-range", so I went for the 40's.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I would suggest go and listen to all of their line.
As most people find differences from one model to the other within the same line, Why would you not trust your own ears?
If you can't bring them home for audition, at least try to bring in your own amplification & music that you are familiar with.
May I ask why you said
(I want all Paradigm)
I hope it's not just by the hype alone:frowning:

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
An addition to my last post.
A bit long & personal.
I have owned these paradigm speakers:
Studio 100's
Studio 40's
Studio 60's
Studio 20's
Studio CC
All ver 2
CC-450
Monitor 3
Monitor 7
CC-350
PW-2200
Atoms

I had all these models over the past three-four years.
The only pair still with me are the Atoms.
Now many AVS & HTF members own my old Paradigm's.
I found it easy to get caught up in all the paradigm hype,
But yet I just was not completely happy with what I had.
I purchased a pair of cherry B&W N802's at -75% retail, these were very nice, But the frugal side of me said that was to much profit to sit in one pair of speakers at this stage of my life, so I sold them (I still have kids to put though college)
I took that profit and purchased a complete Mirage OM set up
with the OM-5's as mains with about the same discounted price. (I had a few great closeout leads, very lucky):D I added a Velo HGS sub. Am I happy now? Yes i'm happy with the sound & happy I'm no longer looking for speakers again, Could they be better, Most definitely, almost everything in life can be with the right bankroll.
I just found that over trial & error I like the full sound of omni bi-polar over direct radiating, just a personal taste thing.
If you do not want to play this endless costly upgrade game, Take the time NOW, Do complete auditions within your budget.
The right speakers will tell your ears.
Paradigm is a fantastic brand for many, as there are many others also to consider.
This is not to hijack the thread to something other than paradigm, Just advise, take your time & audition.
As you have shown no preference for one model to the other,
which leads me to believe you have not spent much time comparing the models.
Once you decide, Many members here are loyal users and they will continue to give accurate suggestions.
Good luck in your searches.:emoji_thumbsup:
-Jerry

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Brent: I LOVE paradigm. I can't recommend their speakers enough to everyone I know. I have titans and mini monitors, with more on the way, and have heard many of their other models as have other members here. That being said, once you hit the thousand dollar pricetag, you're reached the top of Paradigm's line really. Other brands and speakers for more money sound better. I expect their new signature series will be fabulous, and will compete with the more expensive lines fielded by their competition. If you want to buy right now, though, I recommend you go listen to other brands as well. If a really good 'digm studio series setup is still well within your budget (gosh I love spending other people's money :D ), then I suggest you look at brands like B&W, Revel, JM labs, and my personal favorite, Dynaudio. There are many more out there as well. The key is just to go listen, if you're going to spend that much on a very nice setup, the only person who can decide what sound you like is you. Go audition, audition long and hard and carefully with your favorite cds, and you'll make the right purchase.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. When I make a final decision I'll post here what I decided to go with. Thanks again for the feedback.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks