iDVD - Flim/Video Flags?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian McHale, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I have recently started burning DVDs on my Mac using iDVD. The first few were home videos, which I haven't watched much. I finally created a DVD of an old B&W movie (It Happens Every Spring) that hasn't made it to DVD yet. The movie was on a Beta tape and recorded off of cable. Since it was less than 90 minutes, I was able to get it on a single disc.

When viewing the DVD, I noticed some motion artifacts. I switched out of AUTO mode and it seemed to be better in VIDEO. I'm assuming that, since I was copying off of video tape, that VIDEO is the correct setting, but I was wondering whether iDVD flags the discs properly so that the player can select the right mode when in AUTO.

I should also point out that I've only recently upgraded to a progressive scan player (Toshiba), running component outputs into a 16x9 Toshiba RPTV. I was under the impression that progressive scan should reduce motion artifacts, but I'm new to this.

Any iDVD users out there that can help me? I've done a bit of searching (both here and on some Mac forums) and haven't been able to find anything.

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Yes, put your player in Video mode. I have to set my RP-91 into Video mode for all DVDs (retail and home-authored) whose sources are derived from video.

Cheers,

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Forgot to mention - a great resource for DVD authoring is www.2-pop.com

Cheers,

4. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Felix,

Thanks for the response. That's a good link you sent me to.

I'm not all that smart on the FILM/VIDEO settings. Aren't most DVDs flagged so the player, when in AUTO, will choose FILM or VIDEO as required? And do you know if iDVD sets a flag to indicate VIDEO?

Thanks again.