What's new

iDVD - Flim/Video Flags? (1 Viewer)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I have recently started burning DVDs on my Mac using iDVD. The first few were home videos, which I haven't watched much. I finally created a DVD of an old B&W movie (It Happens Every Spring) that hasn't made it to DVD yet. The movie was on a Beta tape and recorded off of cable. Since it was less than 90 minutes, I was able to get it on a single disc.

When viewing the DVD, I noticed some motion artifacts. I switched out of AUTO mode and it seemed to be better in VIDEO. I'm assuming that, since I was copying off of video tape, that VIDEO is the correct setting, but I was wondering whether iDVD flags the discs properly so that the player can select the right mode when in AUTO.

I should also point out that I've only recently upgraded to a progressive scan player (Toshiba), running component outputs into a 16x9 Toshiba RPTV. I was under the impression that progressive scan should reduce motion artifacts, but I'm new to this.

Any iDVD users out there that can help me? I've done a bit of searching (both here and on some Mac forums) and haven't been able to find anything.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Yes, put your player in Video mode. I have to set my RP-91 into Video mode for all DVDs (retail and home-authored) whose sources are derived from video.

Cheers,

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Felix,

Thanks for the response. That's a good link you sent me to.

I'm not all that smart on the FILM/VIDEO settings. Aren't most DVDs flagged so the player, when in AUTO, will choose FILM or VIDEO as required? And do you know if iDVD sets a flag to indicate VIDEO?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks