What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Identifying Blu-ray VC-1 Discs ??? (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit

MPEG4 as a format probably could be capable enough to rival VC-1 but currently it is not as good simply because the encoding tools are not as good.

Let's face it, VC-1 has the best software developer in the world behind it. MPEG4 really has no one company driving it. VC-1 also has lower CPU usage than MPEG4, meaning it is more desirable for computer users and because of this might even be able to drive higher quality using less resources than MPEG4.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I wouldn't even call Microsoft the best bug maker ;)

"Largest" or "most powerful", sure.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I think the answer to the question is that Blu-ray discs using VC-1 will reflect that fact on the case and disc, anything else would be another mistake.

Chris

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Why would movie studios do something as idiotic as not releasing their movies on dual-layer 50GB Blu-Ray disks when those dual-layer disks are now available for use?? That 50GB capacity is one of the main reasons why so many people want to watch movies in HD on Blu-Ray players in the first place, to have a bunch of capacity so you can get the best picture possible (very high bit-rates) from each movie. This is simply not acceptable. The 50GB dual-layer disks are now available and there is no excuse whatsoever to not use them. 50GB disks and super high bit-rates are what Blu-Ray is all about.

Why should anyone go out and buy a Blu-Ray player if the movie studios are going to try to foist movies on us that don't even use the full capacity of the disks that are available? It's ridiculous.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

I believe the reason is that 50GB discs are not (yet?) available for use in pre-recorded BD. The "recordable" (data storage, home recording, etc...) BD discs and the type used/required for pre-recorded discs are physically different.

Maybe someone else here can better clarify the differences for you, but they are different.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I thought there were articles stating that dual-layer Blu-Ray disks, not just blank recordable ones, were already in production? There might not be a huge number of them available at the moment, but surely enough to have the first HD dual-layer disk Blu-Ray movies start to arrive in time for Christmas.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

As far as I know, they don't have either sufficient replication equipment or media available yet to start using dual-layer Blu-ray for commercial releases. I would guess it will likely be a couple of months, but who knows at this point.

Chris

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I have to agree with Ricardo on that Microsoft may be the largest software company and the most influential. But they are far from the best and many of there products leave much to be desired. They do how ever slip out a decent product from time to time. But other than that :thumbsdown:.

It just so happens that MS does offer the best codex at this time but I would not want to use there media player. I would rather use VC-1 than be stuck with MPEG2 transfers and encoded discs. MPEG2 was good in its day but it is now time to move to something better. And Sony needs to move on and accept that VC-1 is the way to go. Especially if they want Blu-ray to succeed! I wtill would like to see Blu-ray succeed but thats all up to Sony at this point. And from the way things have been looking Sony is not giving me many reasons to go with Blu-ray.

These are the things I personally need to see in order to proceed with my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray purchase.
  • VC-1 Encoded Disc's, No MPEG2
  • Resonanably bug free player
  • Support for Dolby Digital +, Dolby True HD & DTS-HD
  • Better movie titles being released, they really don't count if there is no release date for a title.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
All of this reminds me of when CDs had special codes to tell the consumer what stage Digital entered the picture. Sure, if you absolutely hated tape hiss, and liked digital recorders, "DDD" seemed like the way to go. But often the CDs that trumpeted DDD the loudest were made by uninspired no name orchestras.
It's not the process that matters. It's the end result.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I think you might be in luck with the aodio codec support.

I'm talking about the PlayStation 3 here but it is relevant, I promise ;). The PS3 lists some of its supported codecs on the side and it has Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital and some form of DTS though from the pictures I can't read the fine print below the DTS logo to see exactly which one it is.

Basically what I derived from that is that if the PS3 has it, then the stand-alone should have it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I bet many HD supporters here at this forum might say the same thing I am going to say now, SHOW ME THE VC-1 DISCS ! :cool:

Just like in Jerry MaGuire "Show me the money" :laugh:

Hopefully once VC-1 discs start becoming available. Then MPEG2 encoded discs will completly vanish and they will not try to sneek them in with the VC-1 releases.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Warner is releasing its first batch of VC1 BD titles and will utilize VC1 exclusively from that point onward:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=241237

I've exchanged some confidential words with some of the industry guys working on these discs who assure me that the VC1 encoded BD discs will look spectacular. Corpse Bride in VC1 (on BD... soon on HD DVD as well) was described as "the most stunning HD image I've ever seen" by one of the techs who spoke to me.

MPEG2 needs to fade away into history now that superior codecs are available. MPEG2 certainly has NO BUSINESS on a 25gig BD disc, despite what quality results it may be able to achieve on BD50.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
DaVid,
I must say that your open minded and honest posts are very refreshing. Thanks for all of your input and info.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Warner has shipped four movies on Blu-ray we already saw on HD DVD, three (Blazing Saddles, Firewall, Lethal Weapon) that use the VC-1 codec for video compression, and one (Full Metal Jacket) that doesn't, but they are all "virtually indistinguishable" from their HD DVD counterparts according to High-Def Digest:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html

The discs all contain the same extras and roughly equivalent soundtracks, even Firewall, originally released on HD DVD/DVD combo with only 15GB of space for the movie.

Greveland17

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I just want to say that I just purchased a PS3 and Xmen 3 on BD. The box does say at the bottom where the rating and such are that it is on a 25gig single layer disc, I notice alot of post stating that no indication is on the box as to what type of disc is used. I just got the system and the movie yesterday so thats the only movie i own to date. I will say that I also have a Xbox 360 with HD-DVD and Kong on the HD-DVD Blows the BD away. SO Sony PLEASE hurry with the VC-1

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The difference in those titles isn't a function of MPEG2. It's an issue with source material and Fox's early HD mastering that was pretty soft in general (same problem with Devil wears Prada).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks