I was laid off today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by nolesrule, Apr 1, 2002.

1. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Talk about a shock. I was called into my boss's office at 3pm this afternoon and told I was being let go. Apparently, the company of 5 was being downsized to 4 and I was the odd man out. No warning whatsoever.

Oh well. At least I get to sleep in tomorrow. I guess I'll be updating my resume later on this week.

This really puts a damper on my future plans. My wife and I were going to buy a house this summer. And what's worse is she will be laid off in September (but at least she gets a good severence that'll last until January).

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Eish. Sorry man. What industry were you in? [​IMG]

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    website design/publishing. The company owns multiple domains and puts up money-generating websites at their own domains. The company was and is making money, and now it'll make a bit more every year. [​IMG]

4. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Doesn't the company have to give you proper notice? There must be some sort of state or federal regulation on that.

Dave

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

It depends with the state, but most often it comes down to the size of the company and the number of people/percentage let go. In this case, I doubt they are governed by any of these rules.

I feel for you. I was just discussing with my boss today how it was 3 years ago yesterday that I was first laid off, about a year and half later I was laid off again. It really does suck. I hope things work out for you and you find something quick.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Might be in the same boat as you soon Joe, as I'm getting decidely mixed signals from our I.S. director. Hope you find another job soon.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I'm in the same boat. Qwest nuked me last Wednesday.

Fortunately I have several prospects already lined up, although they involve moving away from Omaha...

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Ack, sorry to hear that, Joel!

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Count me as #3. I'm getting laid off on Friday. However, not all is bad, as this allows me to study full time for a career enhancing CFA exam on June 1st and I get 37 weeks of severance, so I expect a new job well before that runs out.

10. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

The WARN act (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) only applied to companies who are performing "mass layoffs" (over 100 employees).
    You can read about it here.
    WARN Act

11. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

If you're looking for the most stable job on earth, get a job as a civilian in the US gov't. Hope you all find new jobs soon.

12. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Sorry to hear about your dismisal. Just yesterday I was thinking that I should update my resume.

Good Luck find a new job.

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Sorry to hear that Joe. I was laid off once and busted hump and found a new job in 3 days. I could not afford to put it off. I wish you the best of luck in landing a new job.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

14. Mike Huay

Mike Huay Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to hear it. Good luck to you (from another laid off person)

15. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Interestingly, most companies ask for a 2 week notice if you decide to quit but fail to give the same respect when it's their call. Many people go along with it in an effort not to "burn bridges". Do these companies care if they leave you in a pinch? NO. Do they care if they burn the bridge with you? NO.

The last place I worked for before coming to where I'm currently employed wanted 2 weeks notice when I told them I was leaving. However, I told them the new company needed me now (which was a lie. I wanted a vacation before starting at the new place). They offered me twice my hourly rate to stay and finish up a few things; so I did.

16. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

17. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

The people getting laid off where I work are not being given anything but their final check and being shown the door right away.

I understand the company might feel you could commit sabotage or stir things up with the rest of the employees, but it certainly doesn't help the moral of the people still there to see the treatment being given to their co-workers who have been with a company for 15+ years.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

19. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Layoffs, and more layoffs, think seriously about becoming self-employed. You don't have to worry about being shown the door, just plan on lots of hard work, but in the end you'll be boss! [​IMG] Hope it works out. [​IMG]

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I currently work in the IT field and everyday I come to work wondering I'm next on the chopping block, therefor I have decided to go back to school and get a teaching degree, that is something that I have always wanted to do and well I think I just will go out and do it.