What's new

I want to seperates but (1 Viewer)

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
I want to go separates,ill spend 1500 or so on a amp.but I dont want to spend that much or more on a pre amp.what I need is 5.1or6.1,componet vido switching at least 50MZH.can I get a receiver with pre amp outs to do the job a lot cheaper than a pre amp?is there a pre amp that will do the job?

thanks

gene

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i also wish there was a complete FAQ about separates + receiver combo. this is confusing!

i am on the same boat here, please help us...

Miles_W

Second Unit
Gene, is 1500 for both the amp and pre amp or for just the amp? The Outlaw 950 is soon to be available with a host of excellent features for the price... a very reasonable introductory 900$... have a look www.outlawaudio.com

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Gene and Felix,

Traditionally, separate pre-amp/processors and amplifiers have tended to be priced higher than comparable receivers because of their relative quality and sales volume. Low end receivers ($300) have all the bells-and-whistles features, but are unlikely to have as pleasant a sound. These days, you can also spend more on a high end receiver (~$4K for a Denon 5803) than on "low end" separates (~$1.5K for each).

Pre/pros usually cost more than amplifiers of similar quality: they are significantly more complex.

Many people do augment receivers with external amplifiers. You usually can't do that with the least expensive receiver models, however. They don't have the necessary pre-amp outputs.

If you want to keep the cost down, you should consider preowned or refurbished equipment. Apparently Lexicon is remarketing for extremely reasonable prices (~$1K) digital pre/pros that they've accepted as trade-ins, to pick one example. Most Lexicons don't accept component video, however.

Don't forget that one of the reasons for separates is to avoid introducing unnecessary sources of noise -- like video in an audio unit.

About a year ago I purchased separates in about the same price range as Gene is considering. A lot more went into my choice than just the price, however. You really need to start with a list of the features you need, want, and could live without. I decided to start with the list of equipment on the THX web site. In addition to the THX processing features, their certification requires that the equipment pass rigorous tests of reliability and quality -- think of it as an insurance policy.

For what it's worth, I wound up with Marantz equipment: the AV9000 pre/pro and MM9000 5 channel amp. I've found their sound to be much more pleasant than the Pioneer receiver they replaced.

I hope this helps a little.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Don't cut corners on a pre/pro. In today's world of digital audio, the pre/pro has to do all sorts of sophisticated tasks that will probably have much more influence on what you ultimately hear than the choice of amplifier.

It's even more important not to cut corners if you want good video switching too. Generally, video signals are more fragile than audio signals, and a cheaply engineered video switcher can seriously degrade what you see -- especially with component connections.

M.

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
miles

is that canadian money?thats a good deal.serious 1500 for both pieces,Iknow that wont do it.if my receiver had pre amp outs id have the amp now.ill play around with my new subs for a while.I only watch dvd,and hdtv.never cds,I dont know if that makes a difference in the scemes of thing.

thanks

gene

Miles_W

Second Unit
No the Outlaw price is us$ I would also pursue a used 5 channel amp as an alternative to new...

Felix, the pre-pro usually has an output for the LFE channel. It is a feature that has become common place since dd 5.1 has been around!

Miles

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
miles

I found out the 950 will componet switching at 45MHZ that should do it for hdtv.I cant find any thing else about it where can I go to find out.with 2 grand I should be able to get 2 pieces.whats with preamp 1050?

gene

Miles_W

Second Unit
Gene,

the outlaw 1050 is a reciever... not a pre-pro! they do have an amp though it is the 750 (I think 5 channels or the new 770 7 channels...)

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
MILES

how do I preorder the 950?I couldnt fid a spot on the web site,they talked about it there thats it,ill get that and worry about an amp later. good or bad idea?

thanks

gene

snowing up a storm here

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
miles

I put myself on the list for the 950 last week.I noticed the 770 amp seven channels,200 watts, at a decent price? what is family discount? will I get a discount if I buy both at same time? is there a list for the 770? hey were getting there.

thanks again

gene

will the 950 be able to supply everything the 770 needs?

Miles_W

Second Unit
Gene, I am glad to hear you put yourself on the list! I think that you will have a real winner with the outlaw product! as for the 770I am not sure if they have announced it for sale yet. I would imagine there is a "family" discount if you have already purchased outlaw product I believe they give you a small discount as a thank you! the 770 should be the perfect match for the 950! good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks