1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I've been hit by a surge

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chazz_S, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

All of the surge protectors have the "surge" light on, after the power went out and on again.

How do I reset it, or am I supposed to even worry about it! I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but the light is still on. I'd look in the manual- but who honestly keeps the manuals to surge protectors!?

2. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps see if a fuse is blown, or tripped. It should be somewhere on the side of the bar usually.

Dan

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Some have a reset button but judging from what you're saying, this one doesn't. The light can come on for a variety of reasons.
    The unit no longer sees a ground. Get a $4 circuit tester over at Home Depot and check for proper wiring.
    It died for whatever reason. Buy a new one.
    What were you using?

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Don't hold me to this, but the "cheap" surge protectors are said to only protect you once. After they take the first surge, a part inside burns out. I guess that is when the red light comes on. The 2nd surge will zip right to your equipment.

Glenn

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Even Monster's expensive surge protectors die after talking a hit, may be your problem.

6. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

WOW, ok I see what you guys are saying now. It wasn't just one, multiple protectors are all 'lit'

One is a monster(kind of a lower end model) and another is a Cyber power. Dammit- I have to replace them all?!

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you own your own house, look into a whole house device. Your utility company may even install it for a nominal charge per month.
    The longevity of a surge protector is related to its joules rating assuming your getting MOV based devices. For a fairly inexpensive one, consider a Stratitec available at Sam's Club or at directron.com. Somewhere around $20.

8. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Looks like they did their jobs. Be glad that you're not replacing all of your equipment!

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You are correct... mostly: It would be more accurate to say that inexpensive surge protectors (typically build with varistors) have a finite life which depends on the intensity and frequency of the voltage spikes.

--
    H