What's new

I suggest a new name to . . . (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
the Software Forum. Most people think of softwre as computer software and there is one of the problems.

Change the name to DVD Programming or something. Get the word software out of it.

I can understand Movies but Software leaves me confused. I suppose Music CD's are now software if we discuss the qualities of the CD.

Perhaps DVD Quality and Extras?

Just thinking outloud at 5 in the morning.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. Software is fine. (Considering the Software section is the most active on HTF, I think most people know what it is about.)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Considering last month it changed it's name twice before returning I'd also say to leave it. I agree in principle but in practice people soon realise what it is.:D

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Just adding to the conversation.

Software:

The programs, routines, and symbolic languages that control the functioning of the hardware and direct its operation.

written programs or procedures or rules and associated documentation pertaining to the operation of a computer system and that are stored in read/write memory

The instructions executed by a computer, as opposed to the physical device on which they run.

THAT is why I am/was confused!!

Now that I know what YOUR meaning is I won't complain but anybody new to the group will be confused. I just think that this will always be a problem to new people and it's easier to fix it then to constantly explain the differences in the two forums.

Just adding my 2 cents and I'll drop the subject as it SOUNDS like I'm trying to change things (which I certainly am not - you're doing a GREAT job).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rod:

The programs, routines, and symbolic languages that control the functioning of the hardware and direct its operation.
A DVD, VHS tape, Laserdisc, etc. are just recorded bits of information used to control the functioning of the hardware and it direct its operation.

A floppy disc, CD Rom and so on just happen to be the prefered format (at this time) for entering data into a computer from a local source.

The software for a CD player is the CD that you put into the player.

In other words DVDs, LDs, VHS tape, etc. are the Software that we all use to direct our hardware (receiver, pre/pro, DVD player, etc.) to do its thing.

Parker

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just to add to Parker's point:
The question of how to name the Software forum was extensively discussed during the recent HTF reorganization. As noted earlier, the name changed several times as we experimented with different approaches. Ultimately the decision was made to use the most general descriptive term. The term "software" is now commonly used in the entertainment industry to refer to content, in whatever medium. The dictionaries may not have caught up yet, but the name of the Software forum matches with current parlance.
If anyone is unsure of what goes in each forum, the descriptions are right there on the main page. The very first sentence of the Software forum description says it all:

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Well then. If ""software" is now commonly used in the entertainment industry to refer to content" then the argument is moot and you are correct.

Thanks!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Plus, we have settled on the name "Home Theater Software" as its "final" name. It doesn't get any more descriptive than that.

Jude Faelnar

Stunt Coordinator
And... there is a description (ok, its in finer print, but its there) below the forum heading, to wit:
If people would only take the few seconds to read the description, I don't see any reasons for confusion. I think it is these persons' own assumptions that are confusing them and NOT the forum's name and description which I find to be appropriate.
All IMHO, of course. :)
JUDE

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
But honestly - who reads descriptions - that's like assuming that everybody reads instructions. I say fix a problem (as it obviously is/was) rather then justify why it's not a problem. It would be easier to fix it now then go the next 10 years explaining why it's not a problem.

Not that it's a problem - just a confusion.

Anti-bugging!

Don't get me wrong - I'm perfectly happy. :) see!

Just debating

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
But honestly - who reads descriptions - that's like assuming that everybody reads instructions
As long as the descriptions are there, why would there be a need for further action? Packy, Ron and the admins are not babysitters. It is up to each member to take it upon themselves to read the descriptions if they are confused.
Also, you might want to give up your habit of incomplete thread titles. Suggestive topic headers are generally frowned upon.
Bruce

Jude Faelnar

Stunt Coordinator
Descriptions or, indeed, Instructions are placed there for a purpose. It is supposed to save the author/s from forever explaining to people what a particular item is for.
The author/s took the effort of writing down the descriptions... we should do our share by reading them. How long does it take to read one short paragraph, anyway? It is a worthy investment of our time, if only to avoid the "confusion," real or perceived.
If we ignore these descriptions then we have no right to complain and claim that there is a "problem." We really should stop blaming others for problems that we created ourselves.
But, that's just me, I guess... :)
JUDE

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Who say's I'm complaining. I'm not! I'm just adding to a discussion. Just the fact that the name was changed twice already tells me people know it's a problem already.

Honestly - I really don't care about the name, it's been explained to me and now I know. It will be explained to many people in the future and then THEY will know. Not a big deal.

The people who take care of this forum are doing a GREAT job. I've taken care of forums and most people do not realize how much work it actually is.

peace

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You can say that again.

Nobody here is offended. And this is the place to ask such questions, so no harm done. BTW, I have heard the word "software" being used to refer to vinyl LPs--The Absolute Sound magazine, way back in the '70s, was referring to LPs as "software" in order to distinguish from the equipment ("hardware") they reviewed.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Well there now Brian, actually the term dates back to the 1955-60 era.

Cliff Clavin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks