What's new

I need to get a graduation present (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I need some help everybody. My wife is graduating in May from college and I need to get her a present. My price range is pretty low as I am still a student and I only get $20/week for gas and everything else I have to buy. Therefore, my limit is around $50 or below. What would be a really good present? I would really appreciate all of the input I could get. Thanks in advance.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
If you are creative, a love poem would really get her going as a starter. My wife also took great pleasure in simple romantic ideas. For example, you could get a blanket and a few candles and take her out for a candlelight dinner somewhere secluded.

I know its cheap, but some girls really go for the surprise thoughtfulness of their husbands.

Jason

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Hrmph. I told my girlfriend that we'll have kids once she completes her PhD. She's pretty happy with that. I was hoping she'd go for the new car, but alas....

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
How about a book that symbolizes her achievement? With a personal note inside the cover, of course.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Something that you took the time to make yourself (scrapbook of her & friends, etc.) would probably be popular. I think the key is that you put thought & planning into the gift (not a quick purchase down at the mall)...

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Do NOT get her some new DVD's.....

When I proposed to my wife, I wrote her a song. Well, a pretty darn simple song since I only know 10 chords on the guitar. She still gets all mushy thinking about it.

I vote for the poem. Give her a small decorative box with some fresh rose buds in it, and a locket in the bottom, then read her the poem.

Just don't don't have it start: "Roses are red"... And leave "Nantucket" out of it also.

Congrats to her !

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
What I was thinking about doing was getting a bunch of pictures of her from the time she was little through all of her achievments, graduations, etc. up till this point and scanning them. Then making a PowerPoint show that highlights her life with music playing in the background. Converting that to an mpeg, and burning it to a CD so we could watch on our DVD player. Sorry my sentences are a bit disjointed, but hopefully you get the idea. What do you honestly think of this idea?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Jeff, it's an okay idea, but it may be more fun for you than for her :)
When I graduated high school, my parents collected the First Day of School pictures that they had taken every year, and put them in a big frame (the kind with the little windows for smaller pictures). I've got it hanging in my house, and it makes me happy every time I walk by it. Maybe something like that?

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Jeff, It’s a great idea.

Early days, when marriage had rocky moments, my husband would appear with roses. Just infuriated me, it did not count as a get out of jail free floral card.

Everything has always meant more, when it was for “no reason” or to “commemorate”.

And His best choices were those that cost the least, yet displayed planning, time and ‘Fore-Thought”

The 2-carat earrings will never mean as much as when he came home with the “ugly” hat, he thought I might need on an upcoming Boy Scout trip.

The DVD is great; your starting a tradition, “the kids” (if you have them) will pass on to theirs.

What is your wife’s major, and/or career choice, -you might slant it that direction.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Mary,
We don't have kids. My wife is going to be a highschool English teacher and hey, if you know where I could get 2 carat earrings for $50 or less....well I'm sure she wouldn't turn them away. :)
I appreciate everyones opinions, please keep them coming.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Jeff,
The idea you have using PowerPoint is the same idea a buddy of mine did except he made her a book out of pictures from early in her life until that point. One of his main points (Since they had 2 kids) was how much he appreciated all the hard work in the house she did even though she had so much homework and a job. He filled the book with pictures and comments next to all the pictures. To this day he is still on a pretty high pedistal with his wife and all it took was a little creativity and time. :) Your idea sounds wonderful but I would possibly recommend a book instead of a PP slide show as it would be a little more tangible to her.
KyleS

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> What is your wife’s major, and/or career choice, -you might slant it that direction.

I was thinking the same thing.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Teach your wife 2 words: CUBIC ZIRCONIA. :) Honestly, it’s weird my husband did this as I always stated I’d prefer Cubic set in gold. (Some items I like real - pearls). Since my mother-in-law had just flushed 3 carats down the toilet, a situation the insurance declined to cover. I really did not want the responsibility, in earrings ‘one’ will get lost all the time (like socks). I truly believe in CZ’s.
We do have a jeweler in the family so that takes a bite out.
This may sound dorky, but since your powerpointing, then burning to CD. Got any pics of her reading when she was young, or centered on a school stage, or looking bossy in pics when she was little. Do some titles, such as: Her parents knew at 5 she was headed for the teaching field, when she lined up the neighborhood kids…or preferred doing this instead of that….etc.
That your taking the time to post here, to try and get this right, is proof to me, she’d be crazy not to love whatever it is you decide to do, sounds like your a 'keeper'. Good Luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks