What's new

I need help, please (1 Viewer)

tyuiui

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Webber
I have a Sony Blu-Ray player model BDP-S300 and an LG HDTV plasma. I have an old Yamaha system that has done well for the years that I have had it, but it does me no good for today. I need some advice on what to upgrade too. I have been researching receivers on the internet, and seems the more that I read, the more I get confused. Then once I get past the receiver issue, what to do on speakers? I went to my local high priced audio store, there they introduce me to dipole speakers for the surround speakers. The sound was great. Yet, I don't know if it was the speakers, or the receiver? They were pricing me a Yamaha RXV661 with Paradigm cinema 110ct speakers for $1500. I have never heard of Paradigm? I want to just make sure that I get the most for my money. And at the same time make sure that when I buy my system, a better doesn't come out tomorrow. HELP please.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm makes some good quality speakers, but so do many other companies. I imagine the local high priced audio store you mentioned probably had them set up in a listening room. That can be a better environment to audition speakers than in an open environment like Best Buy or Circuit City where you are dealing to all the noise from all over the store. I would suggest you listen to as many different kinds of speakers as you can. They all sound a little different so only you can tell what sounds good to you. Yes, different receivers will make speakers sound different. Ask to listen to speakers run through different receivers as some are called bright/neutral and all sorts of other descriptors. The sound also depends on what sound processing the receiver is set to, Dolby, DTS, jazz, rock, game mode, 5 or 7 channel stereo, and the list goes on....

And don't worry about a better one coming out tomorrow. Something better always comes out, but it takes longer than a day:).

Set a budget, and buy what sounds good to you within that budget. You're going to be listening to/enjoying your purchase for a long time so take your time, don't make a decision based on the one set of speakers you listened.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
For what its worth, im VERY pleased with my Paradigm speakers, i just wish i could afford to upgrade the rest of my speakers to Paradigm.

If i did not have Paradigms id be going B&W both excellent speakers and better than alot of other brands out there in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks