What's new

I need help on buying new speakers. $1,000 to $1,500 price range. (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I am looking for a speaker system like the Energy Encores in the $1,000 and $ 1500 range that delivers good sound. I actually have very good floor speakers but with the size of my new 65" widescreen tv I really need to make space, and smaller speakers is the only way to get there. I was listening to the energys encore and they sound pretty good but maybe you guys could help me out in finding some great satelites or (small speakers) that are better than the energys. I don't need a sub, I am perfectly happy with the one I have.
I liked the energys because of the color, Which goes perfectly with my new tv, but the thing I care the most and will decide at the end is sound quality. Any reviews on suggested system is welcome. Thanks.

are u looking for a 5.1 system in that range or for just the mains ?
if u are looking for the 5.1 system then look at www.cheaphometheater.com they've reviewed some excellent systems in that range.
I have the ascend acoustics 5.1 system ($1100) and am quite satisfied with it.
------------------
happy listening,
prashanth

Luis M

Second Unit
I am looking for main, center and surrounds. I don't need a sub. I guess I could settle for a good pair of mains and a center channel and add the surrounds later on, that would work too, because my surrounds are pretty good, but I always hear about timbre matching and what a difference it makes.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Look into something from Definitive Technology.
http://www.definitivetech.com
If you need to go very small, consider ProMonitor 100 or ProMonitor 200. If you can go a bit larger, consider the PowerMonitor series. If you can go floorstanding, go with the bp series. Trust me, they will all look excellent next to a black rptv!

Luis M

Second Unit
Bob, My tv is gray or scenium. That is why I took a listen to the Energy Encores, which match my tv perfectly. I would have gone ahead and buy them, but because I have exellent speakers now I don't want to downgrade my sound quality because of the space limitations, That is why I am asking for advise on that price range on small speakers that may have had rave reviews and possibly mantain or even better my present set up. I have the JBL- HP-520s with 200 watts power handling and JBLs in the surrounds, all with the same titanium tweeter. the only one that does not match is the center (Klipsch KLF-C7)which I believe is a good center, I just don't know how much a good set of 5 speakers will better or worsen my current set, which the mains by themselves cost $1500.
So, the question is;
Can I buy a set of well timbre match speakers for $1500 that can better my $2400 unmatched set?

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Luis, try this. Go to Brandsmart in Miami to pick up the encore speakers. They have a 30 day return on them. Then set them up in your room and crank up those bad boy with Gladiator playing. I doubt that they will be going back. Also pick up a y spliter for your subs if your receiver doesn't have two sub outputs.
BTW. I do own these speakers. Also, just last night I upgraded my fronts and center with the Veritas 2.4 and 2.0. and the encores still sound great as the surrounds even with this setup. If you can work up a deal with the sales person then maybe you could be going home with the veritas instead.
So IMHO I would definately try the encores.
Check out my web page. I have not updated it recently so I still have the encores on it and I did get the stands for them. Soon they are going to be my bedroom setup.
Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.
------------------
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
hulk.jpg
3EMS Hometheater
[Edited last by Michael Mathius on November 16, 2001 at 10:44 PM]

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I've never heard them but the Diva setup for $1198 (without sub) has certainly received a lot of rave reviews from users... http://www.av123.com/popup.html
Robert
Sorry, didn't see that you wanted smaller speakers. The Diva's are quite large...
[Edited last by Robert James Clark on November 17, 2001 at 12:49 AM]

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
Luis: I would second the opinion in looking into the Def.tech.Procinemas.I have the pro 100's powered with a marantz sr7000 in a 22.5 x 19.5 room and they really sound great.They are probably the best sub/sat system out there.I beleive this is what you're looking for.I have had mine for approx 2yrs.I'm presently going to upgrade the front three to Mirage OM7 w/center.If you ever go by Sunset Place there is a Def.tech dealer around the corner called Sound Components.Ask for Bill Peters.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Try the new Infinity series of speakers, very high bang for buck. You can get the small floorstanders for the front (no bigger than bookshelf on stands) and match the rears acoustically with their bookshelf line. They also have silver grills available to match your decor.
Good luck in your search and let your ears make the decision.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Luis, I'm partial to Klipsch. I have the Reference Series speakers and they produce some beautiful natural sound. I was able to obtain them for a little less than $1500 ($1350 to be exact)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks