What's new

I need a new Car CD Player (1 Viewer)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I know nothing about car audio, so I need some help.

I need some help picking out a new Car CD Player for my 99 Chevy Lumina. I plan on ordering from Crutchfield because they give you free installation instructions, wiring kits, adapters, and all that other nonsense.

So, what is a good unit? The most important feature is for the player not to skip very much. I have stiff suspension in my car which makes CD's skip to the moon with my current Delphi player. I wouldn't mind MP3 capability so I can drive on longer trips more safely because I won't be changing the discs very much.

My budget is from 130 to 175 dollars. I'm looking at the Alpine 9843 unit and the Pioneer 3800 unit, but I'm open to any good brands or units.

Also, when installing the new player, can I put some kind of antishock absorber around the player and the screws to reduce the vibrations that the CD Player has to take?

Thanks much everyone. I'm a total dummy with car audio.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
you should check out the car audio/video section of the forum.

pioneer and alpine make good units, i'd avoid sony. also, you won't need any kind of shock absorber, it's already been taken into account the unit will be in a car. a properly working head unit won't skip on normal roads.

CJ

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you have an iPod this year's Alpines have excellent integration with it using a mere $30 cable! That will be my choice whenever I get to that part of my wish list :).

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Joe,

Unless you've done some really radical aftermarket modifications to your Lumina's suspension there is no way that car is riding rough enough to disturb a properly functionning automotive CD player, chances are the old Delphi was malfunctionning.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input everyone.

My Car is a stock LTZ, which has stiffer suspension than the normal Lumina's, but nothing crazy.

I usually have the most problem on bumpy interstate roads where I'm driving 70+ MPH.

Anyone have any comment on whether to choose an Alpine or Pioneer? If not, I'll just order whichever unit is cheaper. Thanks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love JVC.

I had an Alpine installed one time. About 3 days later I took it back to the dealer and exchanged it for another JVC (which I'd had in my first two vehicles).

I got the CD upgrade in my current vehicle, but if I ever decide to have an aftermarket stereo installed again, it will be another JVC.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

$30!!! Thats a lot. I just got the Dodge Charger and it had the auxillary plug. All it cost me was $5.99 for a cable to connect from the ipod headset connection to the aux connection. And it works great.

Back on subject. If you have an Ipod is it really worth it for you to get a cd player? Since I have hooked my Ipod up. I never use the cd player. When I get out of the car. I unhook it and take it with me. Just something to think about.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I am a die-hard JVC fan too, but at their upper end. They might not have all the greatest features, but they sound good and I have never had a mech. problem.
I think Kenwood makes a good deck too. Their tuners are always around 9.* senstivity where as most of the others are 11.* .

Try www.sounddomain.com They have some pretty good prices.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
What that cable gives you is control and charging of the iPod at the head unit - access playlists, songs, everything with head unit controls. So you wind up tucking the iPod in your glove box out of the way with no wires exposed and not as much driving while distracted quotient. The previous Alpine integration solution was a box about 2-3X the size and price of the cable.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cd5E38P...d&i=500KCE422I

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I own one of these new generation Alpine's (9856) with the iPod controller cable and can definitively say it is nothing like an aux port. An aux port install means you have to actually use the iPod for control. The Alpine setup let's you search/play by playlist/artist/album/song by using the Alpine's multi-function wheel just like the iPod, but the iPod stays in the glove compartment out of sight. It is also almost as fast as the iPod (a small millisecond slower when searching for a selection), much faster than any other head unit iPod controller that will cost you around $100. I have since ditched my CD's to storage, never to be seen in my Jeep again. The CD player in my Alpine has actually never been used, so I can't tell you if it skips or not.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up on the new Alpine units. I was set to buy one of the old ones, but balked at the needed extra $100 box for past models. Since now all they need is the $30 cable, I'm okay with that.

Looks like I'll be on the lookout for the next "free install" offer from Best Buy...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
free install means free basic labor ONLY. depending on your car, you could need up to $35 in parts, and maybe a little custom labor if you have a factory amplifier that can't be easily interfaced with. but the free basic labor offer saves you $45 or so.

CJ

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Plus, the new interface is much faster than the old box and does not suffer from the limited number of playlists/artists you can have.

I bought mine from Crutchfield. They include all needed harnesses and mounts. Install of the unit is easy in most cars, if you can learn to solder. I installed this, an Alpine Sirius tuner, a 4x20 watt Alpine amp and Infinity speakers all around by myself. It's really not hard, especially if it is only the head unit.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm also looking forward to get one of the new Alpines with my next system update. It's great to have your full library of songs at the touch of the button in the car. I've been rockin the old-school KCA-420i box since its release and I'm so used to it I have no complaints. :)

One of the coolest features with the ipod integration that you can't get with a simple $6 cable is viewing the track info on the LCD screen:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just bought the lowest model new Alpine unit (CDE-9852) to replace my factory installed head unit in my 2000 Nissan Altima. I simply wanted iPod capability to go with my vanilla system.

Cost was: $179+tax for the head unit, $29.95+tax for the cable, and $59 for complete installation and hardware from Best Buy. All told I came in under $300, and Al&Ed's quoted me $360 (and I don't know if that included tax or not) for the exact same setup. Also, BB was able to install it on the same day, in about 30 minutes.

Haven't fooled around with it too much. The SQ is better ("clearer" is a word that comes to mind) than my factory unit. The iPod last night sounded a little better than CDs sounded in my old unit which shouldn't be the case, being that my files are 320AAC rips of my CDs.

Unfortunately now I have a detachable faceplate to worry about (haven't had that in years) hopefully I won't forget to take it out, or leave it someplace by accident.

For under $300, if you're looking to replace a factory head unit and want iPod full control, I can initially recommend this unit, and for $20 more you can get the step up 9856 model with HD radio, Sirius capability, CD changer controls, 3 line outs, etc. I might have done that, but they only had the 9852 in stock and since I don't plan on having a CD changer (that's what the iPod is for!), outboard amps, or subscribe to pay-radio, I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

If I discover any flaws or weaknesses, I will update this thread.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I got the 9852 installed with the high speed cable. Everything works as it should EXCEPT, I can't play songs I've purchased from the iTunes store. It just displays the song info with no audio. Is there a setting I've overlooked somewhere?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Are you playing them from the iPod or from a burned CD? They should play from the iPod, but any tracks purchased from iTunes can only be played on the specific iPod the version of iTunes was registered with. One set of download per iPod, no swapping between iPods, due to encryption.

One other question - Do the tracks play on the iPod in portable mode, with headphones? If yes, I have no idea what's wrong because all my iTunes purchased stuff plays through my 9856. If no, it's probably what I described above.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks, turns out the iPod was acting up and what I was seeing on the HU was happening on the iPod. So I did a reset and everything is fine. I have to say that's the weirdest glitch I've encountered so far, affecting only Music Store purchases.

One criticism:

It takes a long time to scroll through everything with the lack of a jump or faster scroll speed. I think I ultimately have to be more selective about what I put on there or start making more playlists. If anyone has tips for faster navigation...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks