What's new

I made BIG BOO-BOO with Sonosub, plz help! (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Ok, while drilling the holes for the driver in the bottom endcap of my sonosub (2, 3/4" thick MDF and 1, 1/4" plywood glued together)I had a slight mishap! Of course, with my luck it happened on the last hole. Well, it takes a lot of pressure to drill all the way through the endcap and I guess I lost my balance a little of the way through which caused the drill bit to go through THE SIDE of the wood. To paint a better picture, it looks like I have a groove dug out the side of the driver hole! DAMNIT! How do I go about fixing this?? I filled it with wood filler but I really don't think that will work when I go and try to drill a hole through it. Any suggestions in making the repair in the wood? THANX in advance!
Mike

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
What about two part epoxy that somes in a "doughy" roll. You supposed to be able to drill and tap that stuff. But, it might be too hard and might not bond with the wood.
I wish I had a better idea for you
frown.gif

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Rotate the driver a little and drill new holes. Hopefully the driver's flange will cover the boo boo.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Welp, unfortunatley, I already glued the T-nuts on the other while I waited for the wood filler to dry. So, I can't rotate which definitely would have been the easiest thing to do. DAMN! Wish I had thought of that! Thanx
Mike

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If you can get a tee-nut to hold on the other side of the hole/slot then it shouldn't be a problem. It's the tee-nut that will be holding the screw. And even though you have already installed the other tee-nuts you can still rotate the driver and redrill. You just won't be able to use the other tee-nuts. If there are 4 holes in the driver then rotate it 45 degrees and redrill. If there are 6 holes then rotate 30 degrees and redrill. How are the tee-nuts interfering?
Just make sure to seal up the unused holes and the boo-boo to make sure you don't get any leaks.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Rotating the driver works very well. Since it is only one hole that is dished, you might want to try cutting the wood cleanly and gluing in a piece of fresh wood. This can be very strong if done with a tight fitting joint. I would aim for a rounded joint so the patch would wedge into the space when clamped. Try it on some scrap to see what's involved, and when done, back it up on the back of the baffle with another patch to cover the back of the t-nut and tie it all together. I have not done this on this particular boo-boo, but have used it very successfully for other, lesser boo-boos.
You can't go wrong by rotating the driver, though.
Vince

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Welp, fixed the boo-boo. I went out to a local hardware store where this old guy knows EVERYTHING and he showed me "Plastic Wood." I was hesitant at first but thought, eh...what the hell. This is a really weird substance with a really weird texture, but it worked. Drilled right through it and there was enought fresh wood on the back to sink the T-nut in! Thanx for all the suggestions.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks