What's new

I just watched To the Galaxy and Beyond, and certain movies weren't mentioned.... (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
When I first tuned into this show chronicling sci-fi, I thought they would have mentioned certain movies, most of which were mentioned. Some of which I was surprised that weren't, are as follows:

Godzilla
The Blob
THX 1138
Terminator 1 and 2
Blade Runner
Superman
Total Recall
Running Man

I consider these sci-fi classics and/or innovators, as I'm sure most of you here do. Some of the choices were perplexing without mentioning these. How can you mention King Kong without having Godzilla? How can you talk about '50s alien/sci-fi movies without having The Blob? How can you mention Robocop or time travel without having Terminator? How can you talk about how computers helped create better sci-fi situations and graphics without mentioning T2? How can you talk about aliens who are friendly and/or help humans without mentioning Superman? How can you talk about a bleak futuristic society without mentioning Blade Runner, Total Recall, or Running Man? How can you not talk about George Lucas' first sci-fi film THX 1138? These were questions I asked myself after watching this show.

It's real crazy that they put in Robocop without having Terminator. And how is Independence Day any better than the films I mentioned? It's mainly eye candy.

So has anyone else seen this and thought the same or similar thoughts as me? It was a pretty informative show though, and I liked it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Was this something you saw on television? If so, I should move it to the forum devoted to TV programming. Please advise. Thanks.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yea, it was on TV, but I thought it'd be ok here because the show itself discusses sci-fi movies. If not, I guess you can move it.

Paul W

Second Unit
What movies did they discuss? Given the list they left out above, I'm thinking maybe they dumbed it down for the Audience (unless of course 2001 was mentioned).

StephenA

Screenwriter
They discuss most of the important sci-fi movies made. Ones that I can remember off the top of my head:

King Kong
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Frankenstein
Metropolis
Forbidden Planet
War of the Worlds
2001: A Space Oddyssey
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Robocop
Abyss
Alien series
Star Trek series
Star Wars series
Planet of the Apes(but no mention of the sequels)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Destination Moon
Invisible Man
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Invaders from Mars
Things to Come
Time Machine
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Fantastic Voyage
Jurassic Park
Predator
They even showed a frigging clip of Batman

I don't know how they could discuss sci-fi without the movies I mentioned.

I just thought of some others they could have mentioned, at least in my opinion:

12 Monkeys
Mad Max
Tron
A Clockwork Orange
Dune
Rollerball

I looked it up, and it's a show from 1997, and is why I haven't mentioned any sci-fi movies made after 1997. It was a great show, besides not mentioning some of the best or innovative sci-fi movies. It had a bunch of cheesy '50s movies mentioned in it, alot of which I can't remember. It also mentioned a 26 minute movie from 1902 called Voyage to the Moon which the Smashing Pumpkins got their idea for the video of Tonight Tonight.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's the famous film by the Meiles brothers. It's one of the first films ever made that had a sustained plot.

StephenA

Screenwriter
By the way, I didn't mean the 1989 movie version of Batman, I meant the 1966 version. I just wanted to clear that up. Maybe some got it because of the "frigging" part. I loved the 1989 version, because it's dark, and hate the 1966 version cuz it's stupid and cheesy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks