What's new

I just want the original Raiders! (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm sorry I just can't understand how you can "love" Back to the Future I, but not want the other two in the series. It's not as if there was a neverending series of BTTF sequels, only 2 were made thus far, by the same director and star, and both outstanding examples of that genre. If you wanted to limit your dvd collection to 50-60 dvds I might understand. But if you think they're both irredeemably awful... than thats too bad.:D

Next please. Alien quadrilogy, anyone? ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Here you go Brett, just for you.;)

I'm sorry I just can't understand how you can "love" Alien, but not want the next one in the series. It's not as if there was a neverending series of Alien sequels, just one good one was made thus far, by James Cameron and starring Sigourney Weaver, it's an outstanding example of that genre. If you wanted to limit your dvd collection to 50-60 dvds I might understand. But if you think it's irredeemably awful... than :p)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Steve, what if Indiana Jones was named Mindiana Jones? :D Would it still be a good movie?

Back on topic:
I'm probably the only one who would have only bought RAIDERS, but is glad that they are forcing me to buy all 3 at once. Once I get them, I'll be glad I have them all. It really should be a no brainer.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Boxed sets of films should always be offered individually.
I disagree.

Studios still have this little incentive called profitability and with that this other little idea called "maximizing on the investment" (also errantly referred to as "capitalizing on the investement") in their cards.

The numbers would be run. There would be an expected reduction in sales if only sold as a boxset, but the upside is that three dvds are sold instead of one.

In many instances it becomes evident that releasing single copies will adversely impact the sales of others.

SO... put it another way... if it helps you, perhaps you should think of this as buying RAIDERS at a criminally high price, with the others thrown in... (whatever works for you to justify it...) ;)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Of course, it's always possible that, following the initial release of the box, that Paramount will pull a Disney/Pixar and make the films available individually, like D/P did with the new master of Toy Story and the release of Toy Story 2. Keep your fingers crossed.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry I just can't understand how you can "love" Alien, but not want the next one in the series. It's not as if there was a neverending series of Alien sequels, just one good one was made thus far, by James Cameron and starring Sigourney Weaver, it's an outstanding example of that genre. If you wanted to limit your dvd collection to 50-60 dvds I might understand. But if you think it's irredeemably awful... than
Steve, I'm looking forward to reading your post again when someone suggests they only want BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS, but not the Schumacher shitfests.:p)

richardWI

Second Unit
So the price of the boxset isn't that bad. Consider you're just buying Raiders for the $55 or so dollars and you're getting the other 2 and the extras disc for free. And it's remastered and has 5.1 sound. What a deal!
And if it was available seperately, I could have gotten Raiders for 20$, instead of paying more for two additional movies I won't watch again. How much things cost in the past is irrelevant... you're taking to someone who owned one the the first VCRs which cost a thousand dollars (in early 80's money), weighed a ton, and had to be turned off for several hours when it got overheated. The Indiana Jones movies were available separately AND as box sets in the past.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Larry, here you go...

[sarcastic tone]I'm sorry I just can't understand how you can "love" Batman & Batman Returns, but not want the other two in the series. It's not as if there was a neverending series of Batman sequels, only 3 were made thus far, by 2 different directors and 3 different actors playing Batman, the last two 'shitfests' are outstanding examples of how to kill off a successful franchise. If you wanted to limit your dvd collection to 50-60 dvds I might understand. But if you think they're both irredeemably awful... than you're probably right.;)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
OK Steve,

You made me laugh, that is hilarious!

But back the topic at hand. I only buy movies I like right? Why would I buy movies I don't like? I liked Crusade, didn't love it. Thought Temple of Doom was pretty bad.

So with that said... I need my Raiders!!!!!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
And not that I am for or against box sets, but can can you imagine some boy in school that is limited to buying one DVD a month? He's be screwed until next year!

Glenn

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know why studios do this, but I still don't like it. The end result is forcing someone to buy one movie they don't like to get two that they do. OK, so no one is really putting a gun to their head and making them buy it, but there's still no reason to make viewers buy individual movies only as a set.

There's no way I would have bought Godfather III if I had a chance. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I enjoyed it the first time, but I know I'll probably never ever watch it again. How many copies of Godfather III would they have sold if you could buy the movies seperately? How many copies of Temple Of Doom would they sell compared to the other two Indy films if you could buy them individually?

For Back To The Future, I do love all three movies, and am glad they are together, but I still think they should have made them avaliable seperately as well.

The one that's really annoying me today is Scarface. I know it's probably taboo to say this, but I really don't like the Brian DePalma/Al Pacino version. I can't think of one redeeming quality in that film, at least for my tastes. I found it to be stupid and almost unwatchable. It was one of those films where I spent three hours looking at my watch and counting the minutes as if I was back in high school geometry class. But I do like the original, 1932 version of the film and I would buy that. I won't buy the special deluxe super-duper Scarface set because I will NEVER watch the DePalma film again. So that's $15 that Universal is losing by not letting me just buy the movie I want. I'm not spending $60 (that's the retail price, probably could be gotten for less) for one movie I loathe just to get a bare-bones copy of the original.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
How many copies of Godfather III would they have sold if you could buy the movies seperately? How many copies of Temple Of Doom would they sell compared to the other two Indy films if you could buy them individually?
There ya go. The cost to market a Boxed set AND individual titles is not worth it to the studios.

Sorry to be so vocal about this, but I'm sure they looked at the Indiana Jones trilogy and figured out that they probably couldn't sell it both as a boxed set and as individual titles (it's just not feasable money-wise), so instead of getting singles, they opted to please the fans (who can afford $60) by giving them a nice boxed set.

As DVD lovers, I'd hope that everyone would be more excited about boxed sets than cheesy individuals. The fact that they aren't sold separately is an indication that it is not possible to sell them both ways. So any disgust and vocalization toward the studio about this method, bothers me because I fear the vocalization may win and more studios will be afraid to do more boxed sets in the future :frowning:

Don't ruin a good thing for those who enjoy the hobby.

This reminds me of the Beta vs. VHS debate. People were upset about the cost of Beta decks (and tapes) so the VHS won out (because it was cheaper) :frowning: And now all you hear about is the crappy quality of VHS. If not for the peoples complaints about the price, we WOULD have had a BETTER video tape system.

So the next time you cry abut the price, try to think about what your voice may actually be doing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone done a study of what the sales figures were for the Planet of the Apes series boxset? And also wasn't the first film sold separately only and the rest was not available separately? I'm just trying to see if that boxset set a precedent that they knew the first film was the big seller and the rest were not going to be as popular, so they opted to only market it that way. Maybe the POTA boxset outsold the individual disc of the first film. So by this reasoning, perhaps the marketing folks took this into consideration and that the majority of the market loves all 3 Indy films and went with the boxset.

richardWI

Second Unit
So the next time you cry abut the price, try to think about what your voice may actually be doing.
You still don't get it. This isn't strictly about price. It's about limiting the consumer's options in a negative way. Remember the ET debacle? The original film would not have been released in a reasonable way unless people complained.

The consumer's options on Indy up to this point was you can get them as a set or individually. (Somehow that economic model worked for Paramount up until now) I had no problem that a box set existed and I was glad I could buy the only movie I wanted. The cost/production argument is BS. Heck even the Three Colors Trilogy gives the option of individual titles and heavens knows it won't make Indy money. Same with the Eastwood trilogy. (And I'm certain TGTBATU sells more than the other two.)

If we're going towards a future filled with box sets with no other options I'd say death to box sets.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It's amazing how much people have been crying for years for these movies to be released on DVD in any way, shape or form, and now that they're announced there's just endless bitching about it. If Paramount were petty they'd just say, fine, we won't release it at all. Luckily, they like money more than pettiness.;)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
And I'm sure you'll see the same petty b#$%ing if and when the original Star Wars trilogy gets released as a boxed set only. "But I hated 'Jedi" they'll all cry.

I really think a lot of the Temple of Doom haters are finding they don't like the film after they hear the "public" opinion. It's certainly my least favorite of the three films, but I still find it more entertaining than 90% of the other action/adventure films in the genre. It's easy to hate ToD. I for one like it a lot, and absolutely love Last Crusade. And that goes for BTTF as well-I thought 2 and 3 were almost as good as the first.

Considering the price will be about $45 on street day, you could argue that Raiders + the extras on disc 4 are worth at least $25. So it's only $10 each for the last two movies. I'm surprised street on this set wasn't $60 or more like Godfather, but I'm not complaining.

Give these movies an honest, unbiased chance (or second chance), and I think you'll enjoy them a bit more. I was convinced I would HATE Moulin Rouge until I actually sat down and watched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks