What's new

I Just Got Alf...A Little Sad (2 Viewers)

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Season 2 is what I am talking about! Sorry!

The episodes seem oh so short. I knew they were syndicated but I am seriously guessing that the episode "Oh Pretty Woman" must be about 18 minutes at the most. The makers of the DVD did put effort into the release. The discs are pretty, the booklet (one sheet) is a nice addition. The DVD opens with Alf at the menu screen talking about Alf's home shopping. When the package came it was rattling. I couldn't imagine why but realized 3 of my 4 discs were loose and I still cannot secure 2 of the discs in the package no matter how hard I try. I am happy to have Alf but so disapointed . Even if they are syndication episodes they seem awfully, awfully short. I read someone on Amazon said that 3-7 minutes could be missing from any given episode.

Oh well...I guess it's better than no Alf at all...

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
If they cut 7 mins that is about 1 third of the episode. If that is true I will definatly not get this set!

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know, I was referring to a review I saw posted on Amazon. But they do seem short. I would put on an episode to entertain the kids and before I knew it poof it was over. I am going to watch more before I post my review maybe I will time it.

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Im timing an episode. The picture quality looks really good. A lot of effort was put into these releases I believe, the packaging is a nightmare though. I will let you all know some timing results..

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Yup doggie....started an episode at 10:28, ended at 10:49--including opening and closing credits...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
isnt there a time code on the front of your dvd player or just hit display to put it right on the dvd screen.

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I didn't think of that. I think I have seen enough Alf for tonight. It's a funny show but this is the first time I ever really noticed the syndicated episode difference on a series.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
I have the set, there is only one episode that is in under 20 minutes. It's like 19:30 or so. The rest are between 20 to 21:30 or so. The cartoon episodes are much longer. One was almost 23 and the other more like 24:30. More details will come in my review for SitcomsOnline.com

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Really is pathetic what they've done to this show. This is the classic example of a TV show on DVD gone wrong.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Hmm the Christmas episode seems to be in its original one hour format, it clocks in over 47 minutes. That seems unedited to me. Anyone can confirm or have the original airing?

Wezzo

Second Unit
Damn damn damn!

Lions Gate, stop losing customers over things that would take you such a short time to put right.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Didn't even bother to put this on my preorder list after the season 1 fiasco.

Yup, that's the same thing that happened with my season 1. So they didn't bother to improve that POS packaging either.

Chris

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I wrote in my softy review...I'm putty, because I do think they tried. Imissthe80s isnt as in depth with the reviews on Sitcomsonline or Tvshowsondvd...I leave the real detailed stuff to the experts :). I do believe Lions Gate tried when I compare it to some of my bare bones dual disc Universal releases...
----------------------------------------
Alf Season 2 will be available on DVD on August 23rd 2005. It is quite clear that Lion's Gate put a great deal of effort into the production of this DVD. It was not some DVD that was simply thrown together. The set includes all of the episodes from the show's second season. Alf was a surprise hit from the mid 80's. Alf was a furry creature from the planet Melmac. He landed in Willie's back yard and made himself part of the family. Alf had a wise crack for everything and he had a fetish for cats. With the show background out of the way, on to the DVD set itself.

The way I see it we have two choices--syndicated episodes or no Alf on DVD at all. The video quality looks really, really, great, but the episodes are the syndication cuts. The menu screen is really cool. It opens with a little mini movie that runs in the background with Alf talking about the "Alf Shopping Network" where he plugs the Alf Season 1 DVD with other Alf related products in the background. When you click the "play episodes" hot spot screen shots from the episodes are shown. You can click on the "?" and hear Alf provide a brief explanation of the episode.

Alf was a funny show. Oh, the packaging. It's colorful and pretty. The discs are single discs. The set also includes a one page color sheet with episode descriptions. The packaging design however makes it very easy for discs to come loose. My set arrived with three lose discs.

Overall, I was semi-pleased with Alf on DVD. I think that that Lion's Gate did a good job provided with what they were given. It's a great purchase if you love the show and it's a blast to see the big hair and 80's fashions on the show.

--------------------------------------------------

TimTV

Grip

Lions Gate "tried" my ass. They're a sham of a DVD company. Bad packaging, bad video quality, AND edited episodes makes this nothing better than a bunch of syndication tapes plopped onto DVDs and shoved into D-grade packaging.

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
It's my personal opinion. I do think they tried when I look at ALf and look at some of Universals releases from yesterday like McMillan and Wife and Columbo three, they are so bare boned and I dont like dual discs...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks