1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

I just gave up on Shenmue II for XBox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Yee, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm sure there is a strong contingent of fans for Shenmue II but after getting a little over halfway I've decided I've had enough. I enjoyed the first one but for some reason the sequel seems more ponderous. I know the opposite is supposed to be true given the changes in the time feature but ultimately I discovered I just don't care enough about the story to go through all the tasks.

2. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone (though I couldn't stomach the first Shen Mue, either).

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Eric, that's nice of you to give the second a chance if you hated the first. Either of you fellows looking to unload it for a good price or trade?

4. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

D'oh! If you'd asked (yes, yes, I know--how could you possibly know) two weeks ago I'd have given it to you.
    Sorry [​IMG]

5. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm probably going to sell mine at a local shop that pays well. I read a FAQ to see how the game ends. Let's just say it didn't change my mind.

6. Jeremy Santos

It's to bad that you are not going to finish the game, as IMO, it is one the best games ever. To me the story just sucks you in, and isn't that what gaming is about, where it makes you feel like you are part of another world.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I don't argue with the immersion issue, as it is a vast world to explore, but the more pertinent question is whether I WANT to be part of that world and do all the things required to make it through. Ordinarily I don't cheat on games (i.e. consult FAQ's on how to progress) but I know things have reached a bad point when I find myself doing so. I know the choice is mine and it would be silly to place blame on the game designers for my cheating, but I've noticed that when the payoff isn't equal to the requirements to earn it then I get frustrated and frustration leads to cheating. Why does a person cheat (or, in general, rebel)? Because at some point he decided the game was not worth playing by the rules because the rules themselves are unfair or silly or unrealistic (all subject to one's point of view of course). If I were to continue playing Shenmue II I would just consult a FAQ to make it through and I've decided if that's the case then I may as well play something else I will actually enjoy more and not feel compelled to cheat in.