What's new

I just gave up on Shenmue II for XBox (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm sure there is a strong contingent of fans for Shenmue II but after getting a little over halfway I've decided I've had enough. I enjoyed the first one but for some reason the sequel seems more ponderous. I know the opposite is supposed to be true given the changes in the time feature but ultimately I discovered I just don't care enough about the story to go through all the tasks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Eric, that's nice of you to give the second a chance if you hated the first. Either of you fellows looking to unload it for a good price or trade?

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
D'oh! If you'd asked (yes, yes, I know--how could you possibly know) two weeks ago I'd have given it to you.
Sorry :frowning:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm probably going to sell mine at a local shop that pays well. I read a FAQ to see how the game ends. Let's just say it didn't change my mind.

It's to bad that you are not going to finish the game, as IMO, it is one the best games ever. To me the story just sucks you in, and isn't that what gaming is about, where it makes you feel like you are part of another world.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't argue with the immersion issue, as it is a vast world to explore, but the more pertinent question is whether I WANT to be part of that world and do all the things required to make it through. Ordinarily I don't cheat on games (i.e. consult FAQ's on how to progress) but I know things have reached a bad point when I find myself doing so. I know the choice is mine and it would be silly to place blame on the game designers for my cheating, but I've noticed that when the payoff isn't equal to the requirements to earn it then I get frustrated and frustration leads to cheating. Why does a person cheat (or, in general, rebel)? Because at some point he decided the game was not worth playing by the rules because the rules themselves are unfair or silly or unrealistic (all subject to one's point of view of course). If I were to continue playing Shenmue II I would just consult a FAQ to make it through and I've decided if that's the case then I may as well play something else I will actually enjoy more and not feel compelled to cheat in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks