What's new
World Wide Stereo

I have my OPPO UDP-203 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Are you speaking of the Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray player? If so, how would you compare this device to an Oppo? I am certain the differences are day and night; but curious as to how you might measure or rate it all.

I don't have the Oppo UHD player, so cannot offer a direct comparison in picture quality. The Sony does support both SACD and DVD-Audio discs like the Oppo, but lacks Dolby Vision support. The Sony does an excellent job upconverting SD-DVD and BD material to 4K, IMO. I let the player do all the upconversions instead of my Vizio 4K display. The Sony is substantially less expensive than the Oppo. I have experienced an occasional player freeze-up when playing UHD discs, but ejecting the disc, re-inserting it, and resuming play fixes the issue. The newer Sony X-700, which is supposed to eventually get a firmware upgrade for Dolby Vision support, has had a similar issue reported elsewhere, too.

I am planning on eventually upgrading the Sony to either the Oppo or one of the new Panasonic players for Dolby Vision support, and moving the Sony X-800 to our bedroom where the Samsung 4K display is located. I do not need Dolby Vision support there, and the current BD player attached to that display is an early model Sony which is quite slow loading discs.

Reactions: PMF
728x90

JaykohZ51

Grip
Real Name
Jake Lewis
I
If you have the packaging from the cable, there is an app available for both Android and Apple smartphones to verify that your cable is truly Premium Certified by scanning the certification QR code. I tried the Android app on the Monoprice premium certified cables I own and they were verified by the app as certified.

Android app

Apple app
don’t have the cables yet. Everything gets delivered this Friday. I’ll check. But everything I’ve read about Audioquest was solid.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
My 203 gets delivered tomorrow. Been using an inexpensive Sony BD player (BDP-S570) and a Panasonic Plasma (TC-P60GT50-2 that I love). My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR608. Getting the Oppo to future-proof my player, as I watch movies pretty much daily, and the Sony is getting a little creaky. What little I stream, I have been doing through the BD player, but i can do it on my TV (or buy a Roku, if need be).

I'm going to try running two HDMI cables, one directly to the display, and the other to the receiver for audio. Hopefully, I can figure out all the setup stuff (not my favorite part of the hobby). I'll check back here is I run into any problems. These threads really help!

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Randy!

I'm in the same boat. I've got the 203 along with a Denon receiver that handles 4k...but still have my Panasonic Plasma that I will ride until it dies. The Oppo is a whole different beast of a player than anything I ever had before.

I'm not much into streaming--yet (I think I see much more in my future)--but I used to stream the MLB app on my Panny plasma until I get an Apple 4k TV late last year. That's another night and day situation. Streaming on the MLB app via my plasma was balky (constant buffering). Streaming the MLB app via the Apple 4k unit is solid as a rock.

Enjoy the Oppo!

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Hey Randy!

I'm in the same boat. I've got the 203 along with a Denon receiver that handles 4k...but still have my Panasonic Plasma that I will ride until it dies. The Oppo is a whole different beast of a player than anything I ever had before.

I'm not much into streaming--yet (I think I see much more in my future)--but I used to stream the MLB app on my Panny plasma until I get an Apple 4k TV late last year. That's another night and day situation. Streaming on the MLB app via my plasma was balky (constant buffering). Streaming the MLB app via the Apple 4k unit is solid as a rock.

Enjoy the Oppo!

I have an OLD Apple TV (2nd gen, I think). I'd get a new one to watch my beloved Twins (I'm in AZ). Where does your MLB app come from? I assume it's a paid app, right?

Thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pay for MLB.TV so I can get the TV broadcasts and radio broadcasts of both home/away teams for all games.

They keep talking about a "follow your team" feature which may help with the price some.

I'm a Red Sox fan who lives in upstate NY. Since it's "all out of market" games, I can't see the Yankee games on the app...but that's okay since they're on my local cable system (along with the Mets).

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I pay for MLB.TV so I can get the TV broadcasts and radio broadcasts of both home/away teams for all games.

They keep talking about a "follow your team" feature which may help with the price some.

I'm a Red Sox fan who lives in upstate NY. Since it's "all out of market" games, I can't see the Yankee games on the app...but that's okay since they're on my local cable system (along with the Mets).

I realized that I already have access to the MLB app on my old Apple TV - not sure I want to part with the $115 for subscription...

JaykohZ51

Grip
Real Name
Jake Lewis
Got my delivery of all my theater stuff. The Oppo packaging was awesome. LOL. I almost didn’t want to take it out!

I’m still a couple weeks away from having it all hooked up. :-( work and other stuff taking up my time. I can’t wait tho.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You can always learn more about your Oppo. We put on the blu ray of HP and the Deathly Hallows, pt 1. I turn on subtitles and it appears the disc will only give me some of the titles. When a line of subtitles does show it appears complete, the line that is. But it’s only part of a sentence. Sometimes lines of dialogue go by with no subtitles.

I tried shutting the titles off, ejecting and restarting the disc and it did not fix the problem. Finally a little light came on in my head and I tried repositioning the subtitles. That fixed it. It seams that I had repositioned them for another movie and that setting carries over to every disc you play.

Jeez, I found out quick how much I need sub titles. I was missing too many words. Glad I got it fixed.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I need subtitles or captions for anything I watch. Another great feature of the 203 is the CC decoder built in. I watch a lot of older DVDs that don’t have subtitles but are CC. Even some Blu-Rays have CC encoded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks