What's new

I have my OPPO UDP-203 (1 Viewer)

Keith G

Grip
Real Name
Keith
I just received mine last week directly from the manufacturer. This is probably way more than I need but I liked the fact that it did not include the streaming services and since I have a new LG OLED65E6P I figured it would be a good match.

IMG_1664-L.jpg

IMG_1665-L.jpg
IMG_1666-L.jpg

IMG_1671%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Keith!

I've had my Oppo 203 for a few months now. Love it! And...I don't even have a 4k display yet. But I find it very easy-to-use and love the way it's menus and such are laid out.

Enjoy!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Congrats Keith! I have the same display as well, and it's awesome! Don't forget to check for a UDP-203 firmware update. Oppo released the latest official public firmware on 2/27, and who knows what version your unit has installed. It fixes several vexing problems, so IMO you should update as soon as possible.

Keith G

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Thanks to all. The first thing I did was to connect to my wireless internet and install the updates. So far I have only watched a few blue ray disc from Netflix and the picture is stunning.

Edit: I just noticed that I have been a member since 2003 with only 10 post. There should be a prize for being the longest tenured lurker :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My one complaint about this player so far is that they dropped the Angle button from the remote. True that not many discs use that, but some do. The new remote only lets you access this by hitting an "Options" button then scrolling down to "Angle". Luckily the older BDP-93 remote still works with this player so I'm using that instead, though I have to keep the other remote around mainly because I can't active the convert-2D-to-3D function with the old one. I wouldn't use that much anyways, much less than the Angle button.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Issues like this are but one reason why I just love universal remotes. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am thinking of this player when I get by the WAF and I'm wondering...if I buy this from 220 electronics with a region free mod, does that invalidate the Oppo warranty?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If it's a hardware mod then no, it does not invalidate the warranty. It's been proven that the BDP-103/105 hardware mods work just fine with the 203 (I use one myself), and the external version can be purchased on eBay for around $60. That makes buying the player directly from Oppo and getting the mod on eBay more cost effective:

UDP-203 from Oppo: $567 shipped
eBay RF Mod: $60 shipped

$627 total cost vs. the $699 that 220 Electronics is charging.

Link to the external mod:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162101335749?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If it's a hardware mod then no, it does not invalidate the warranty. It's been proven that the BDP-103/105 hardware mods work just fine with the 203 (I use one myself), and the external version can be purchased on eBay for around $60. That makes buying the player directly from Oppo and getting the mod on eBay more cost effective:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162101335749?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Thanks Doug. That mod you linked to doesn't mention the 203, is to compatible with the 203. It looks like it used an HDMI port, does it?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Agreed. The DIY external mod is much preferred.

You'll probably also want to program a macro on your universal remote to run the sequence for changing BD regions -- that's what I do (for my BDP103)... one for each region.

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Is just ordered my 203 via Amazon, the seller is Oppo. Also ordered the region mod linked about. Didn't get any expedited shipping since it's expensive, so I will patiently wait. :angry:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Got my region mod kit for my Oppo. No instructions at all and now I see on their eBay page I was supposed to tell them I wanted instructions. I know how to plug it in, but not the key presses required. I'm sure somebody here knows them.

BTW, this thing has one cable with a tiny plug, bug I imagine it doesn't need plugging in it all, am I correct?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The "tiny plug" is there for installed the kit internally. You can do it either way. I've PMed you with a PDF of the instructions.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There are, but IIRC the external mod can be installed either way. The internal mod, on the other hand, cannot be installed externally because it lacks the RS-232 and USB connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks