What's new

I have my OPPO UDP-203 (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I forgot to mention that I finally tested my region-free mod with Ratatouille and it worked fine.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got my Oppo UPD-203 on Saturday. This is my first Oppo and is by far the most responsive disc player I have ever had. Last night I used the zoom on my "Bonus Disc" version of Star Wars and it was actually decent looking on my 55" television.

One strange thing is that my Harmony remote software insists that this is an Oppo Entertainment System. The first time I saw this I thought I made a mistake so I deleted it from my devices, then I added it again and it does work well with my Harmony.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is my first Oppo and is by far the most responsive disc player I have ever had.

'Responsive" is a good word, Wayne. I'm with you. I got the 203 earlier this year as I wanted a single player for all my disc needs (including the high-rez audio needs) and I've been reading on these pages about how great the Oppo players are for so many years.

I don't even have a 4k display...yet. But I still LOVE this player.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
'Responsive" is a good word, Wayne. I'm with you. I got the 203 earlier this year as I wanted a single player for all my disc needs (including the high-rez audio needs) and I've been reading on these pages about how great the Oppo players are for so many years.

I don't even have a 4k display...yet. But I still LOVE this player.
No 4K display? And I thought I was all alone, on that front.
Question. With just the Oppo and a BD, have you noticed PQ improvements?

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Honestly can't say that I have noticed any difference.

My display is a 55" Panasonic Plasma which just turned five last week. I absolutely love it. And don't wish it any ill will. (But I DO have to wonder what a good 65" 4k set might look like when that day arrives... :D ).

I buy the occasional 4k disc for when that day arrives (discs I know I will enjoy seeing in a superior visual presentation). My receiver (a Denon X2000) is ready for 4k passthrough. It's just the display that's holding me back.

The Denon won't, however, give me Atmos audio which is disappointing to me (although I'd have some definite WAF issues if I proposed more speakers in the LR!).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Honestly can't say that I have noticed any difference.

My display is a 55" Panasonic Plasma which just turned five last week. I absolutely love it. And don't wish it any ill will. (But I DO have to wonder what a good 65" 4k set might look like when that day arrives... :D ).

I buy the occasional 4k disc for when that day arrives (discs I know I will enjoy seeing in a superior visual presentation). My receiver (a Denon X2000) is ready for 4k passthrough. It's just the display that's holding me back.

The Denon won't, however, give me Atmos audio which is disappointing to me (although I'd have some definite WAF issues if I proposed more speakers in the LR!).
Don't wonder how 4K will look. My LG 65UH8500 (might have model wrong-the 65 is the size) is fantastic. I have a samsung 56" (?) LED previously and the step up in quality if very significant. My blu rays look great, UHD discs are fantastic, the passive 3D is love, live tv looks great. If you can squeeze it into the budget, go OLED, that's even better.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's all about the budget and practicality, Johnny...

Like anything else.

Frankly, I'm stunned I've got some of the pieces in my system that I do.

I never thought that I'd have a Panasonic plasma, an SVS sub or an Oppo player. I thought all those things would forever remain out of my reach. But I've learned never to say never and I figure a 4k display is just a matter of time.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mike, I went from a 55" Panny VT series plasma to a 2016 65" LG OLED. The upgrade was *stunning*. I've been systematically watching by entire Blu-ray collection all over again simply because they look so phenomenal, inherent source quality allowing of course. I haven't regretted retiring the Panny for a single solitary second. If your budget allows...

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mike, I went from a 55" Panny VT series plasma to a 2016 65" LG OLED. The upgrade was *stunning*. I've been systematically watching by entire Blu-ray collection all over again simply because they look so phenomenal, inherent source quality allowing of course. I haven't regretted retiring the Panny for a single solitary second. If your budget allows...
I wish I could have worked an OLED into the budget.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]
I DO have to wonder what a good 65" 4k set might look like when that day arrives... :D ).
[...]
Whereas, in my case, this may be the ONLY thing in life that I never had to wonder about; but, rather, only dream of.:3dglasses:

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wish I could have worked an OLED into the budget.

Even a normal LED 4K set can be a significant upgrade. An OLED set was out of my budget, too, since I did not want to go any smaller than my old 67-inch Samsung DLP, and 70+ inch OLED sets are very expensive. I went with a Vizio 70-inch LED which had both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, and have been very pleased with the picture quality for all my sources compared with the old Samsung.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Oh, frabjous day! My UDP-203 arrived last night. Updated the firmware, connected to TV, watched a bit of BR2049. NICE! Audio was the nasty sort passed through the TV and out the optical port...Main reason for getting this particular player is the analog audio out, which I need for my HTR. Should have time this weekend to make it all right!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
But of course I have! Picked up a Samsung UN65MU8000 as a Black Friday special.

Today I sat straight through BR2049. Fantastic!
(every time I see that, I think of the old HeeHaw phone number BR549....ugh!)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Even a normal LED 4K set can be a significant upgrade. An OLED set was out of my budget, too, since I did not want to go any smaller than my old 67-inch Samsung DLP, and 70+ inch OLED sets are very expensive. I went with a Vizio 70-inch LED which had both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, and have been very pleased with the picture quality for all my sources compared with the old Samsung.
So how do you like the Vizio 70"?

Is it a M Series Vizio or a more expensive P Series?

For the coming Fall, I'm targeting a Vizio 75" M Series XLED (whatever improvement XLED gives). It will replace my 2013 vintage Vizio 70.

Oh and it will be paired with an Oppo UDP-203.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So how do you like the Vizio 70"?

Is it a M Series Vizio or a more expensive P Series?

For the coming Fall, I'm targeting a Vizio 75" M Series XLED (whatever improvement XLED gives). It will replace my 2013 vintage Vizio 70.

Oh and it will be paired with an Oppo UDP-203.
I have an M-Series -- the M70-D3. It's been a great display. The separate calibrations for SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision really make the display shine for the price I paid. Vizio's support has been impressive, as well. They introduced a new version of firmware with added functionality which required a new remote control to access that functionality, and they provided that new remote free of charge --including shipping -- to anyone requesting one online. I know it wasn't an expensive remote, but I appreciated that Vizio was taking care of its customers.

I found the Vizio much easier to make basic calibration adjustments using a calibration disc than the Samsung MU8000 we purchased later for our master bedroom, too. I have since used ISF calibration settings for the Vizio to really get every ounce of picture quality out of the display, but I really struggled getting even the basic settings correct with the Samsung. I ended up using settings I found on rtings.com for the Samsung, and was much happier with the results than I could get myself. It's the first time I couldn't get a decent basic calibration myself with a display -- don't know if it was the display or if I'm just getting dumber as I get older. :rolling-smiley:

JaykohZ51

Grip
Real Name
Jake Lewis
I have an Oppo 203 on the way. First one ever for me. It’ll be connected to a Sony 65” 4K 930E. Marantz 7012.

Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable.

Am I okay with just the single cable or is using 2 cables THAT much better or necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks