What's new

I have a Playstation 2 and can't get Dolby Digital Sound on Movies! (1 Viewer)

Brian McL

Auditioning
I have a Denon AVR-1603 that I have been setting up. My main DVD/CD player that I have hooked up to it is the Playstation 2.

I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 to work on games but not on movies! I have no idea why it wont work. All I am getting is Dolby Pro Logic II.

I made sure that I turned on DD in the option menus of the DVD's I tried (LoTR, T2 SE, Apocalypse Now). All are DD 5.1 or DD 5.1 EX.

Any help? It is just not getting the DD signal, but it is getting the digital signal. I know this because the "digital" light comes on.

Brian McL

Auditioning
Here is an update...

I hooked up the other DVD player we have in the house. I hooked up the optical output to the receiver. I played T2 and the receiver still said it was not getting the DD signal! I changed the sound option in the DVD menu to DTS and there was no sound at all! But when I have it set to DD in the menu all I get is PRO Logic II. I am clueless!

Mike Pollmann

Stunt Coordinator
How about the settings in the Playstation 2 setup menu? (Ie- the menu when you turn it on without a disc.) I seem to remember there being a choice there for what type of sound output you want. There might even be a seperate one for movies.

Brian McL

Auditioning
Yes. I tuned on the Optical output in the PS2 menu. I am getting sound out of the optical output. When I play DVD's it is not DD or DTS signal! But when I play video games it is!

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Have you "told" your receiver that you are connecting via optical? Some receivers come with coax as the default and you have to go into a setup menu to tell it that you are using optical. Also, be sure your DVD-Player is set to output bitstream, not PCM.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've edited the title to include a reference to Playstation 2. I've never even seen one of these things, but I know from reading many HTF threads that there are always issues with them when it comes to DVD playback. Lots of people here have wrestled with such problems, and hopefully the revised title will catch their attention.

M.

Brian McL

Auditioning
I fixed it! As it turns out the PS2 has a very unintuitive control interface. Adjustments made to it's setting are not saved when it is turned off. So I had to change the audio setting when you play the DVD, not in the main menu when you start it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks