What's new

I have a broken 312 and would like to hot rod it maybe? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have a broken 312 that I presume needs a new hard drive. It has no sound and has been troublesome all along. It has had green lines on the pic before, unplugging it solved that. But, now the sound just won't come back. Is the problem likely to be with the drive? How big a drive could I get for it? Thanks for any insight!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thanks for the reply Jeff. It's a Tivo 312 (30 hr.). It's got the subscription paid for the lifetime of the unit, but it's broken. I suppose I need a new hard-drive. I'm curious about putting a larger one in it. Currently, the sound is gone, but it has a pic. Any ideas about some options would be appreciated! Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
hi, Well you have a couple of options. You can pop a 60 or 80 gig HD in which will give you 60 or 80 hours respectively (1 hour per gig) or there are several places in which you can send your machine into and get them to upgrade and test it for you.
Here is one that I know of :
http://www.digitalrecorder.tv/tivo.htm
You find tons of info on how to upgrade units, replace HDs etc...
Good Luck,
Jeff

John Welch

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael you need to remember if the hard drive is toast then there is no way to mirror the operating system to a new hard drive, so just replacing it will not work. Like Jeff said, you hang out at AVS, go check the underground at the TIVO forum there. A lot of people and resources to draw on.......

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Why do you think the drive is bad if the its got video but no sound? Can you still use it? Does it record programs and still pause live TV? If it does any of these, its using the drive. If the sound portion is toast, you'll probably have to send it in for repair, or get a new one.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thanks guys for the advice. I have not been on the Tivo forum at AVS for a long time, over a year. The unit works except for the sound. I've had to unplug it to break it out of various video funks numerous times. It's had the green lines several times. I have an older 112 and it's never so much as hick-up'ed. The 312 has repeatedly misbehaved. I'll try finding some Tivo gurues over there. If I could fix the sound, I'd love to have a bigger hard-drive maybe...? Gracias!
------------------
[Edited last by Rachael B on August 31, 2001 at 02:33 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks