What's new

I hate secretary chairs (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I hate secretary chairs. I suppose the pc term now is task chairs. I own one like this.

399144_p_battista_l_msh_031816

I don't like to dwell on this, but I had 7 operations in 2018-2019 and have been slowly recovering. I've had bad lower back pain and have had to walk mostly with a cane. Physical therapy didn't help much, neither did going to the gym - which COVID prevents anyway. My condition had me sit in front of the computer for too many hours a day.

Finally I noticed the pain was worse standing up from the chair pictured above. As an experiment, I switched out the secretary chair for a regular, 4 legged kitchen table chair without casters.

In less than a week my lower back pain ceased. It has not returned.

It turns out that those swiveling chairs on casters are a known problem for back aches. Numerous medical journal articles testify to this, e.g. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2524705/ . The full article is behind a paywall but the abstract tells the tale.

I'm posting this now as my discovery may help other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks