What's new

I Hate Rebates (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
I send in EVERY rebate that comes with stuff I buy. I do it because most times I wouldn't have bought the item at the 'full' price. I also hate the theory behind them, where the company figures it will make money due to people not sending them in, or fouling up the sometimes complex requirements.
Here in N.Y. we have a 5 cent deposit on all soda/beer cans, plastic containers and glass. I return EVERY bottle because I know that the big companies keep whatever deposit money they don't return. I just read an article saying that the bottlers are lobbying the N.Y. state legislature to keep them from changing the law and re-directing the unclaimed deposits :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Update:

After faxing copies of all my documentation to D-Link (rebate center) I have received both of my $10 rebates and the last $20 check is being mailed out today. Looking forward to getting that and being done.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Update:

After faxing copies of all my documentation to D-Link (rebate center) I have received both of my $10 rebates and the last $20 check is being mailed out today. Looking forward to getting that and being done.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I used to hate rebates because I wouldn't get around to sending them in until it was too late. I like them ever since I developed a new methodology.

Whatever it is, I have to fill out the rebate and put it in the mailbox before I can play with it.

I broke this rule over the weekend with a stick of RAM I got from Staples. Hope I can still find the paperwork/receipt. That's what I get for breaking my own rule.

And I like the surprise windfall - good on weeks that I am poor, to buy gas money, pizza, or movie tickets. :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I used to hate rebates because I wouldn't get around to sending them in until it was too late. I like them ever since I developed a new methodology.

Whatever it is, I have to fill out the rebate and put it in the mailbox before I can play with it.

I broke this rule over the weekend with a stick of RAM I got from Staples. Hope I can still find the paperwork/receipt. That's what I get for breaking my own rule.

And I like the surprise windfall - good on weeks that I am poor, to buy gas money, pizza, or movie tickets. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I would. But I doubt that McAfee will start selling their newest software for $6 incl tax soon. Or that Belkin will start selling their surge protectors for $1 incl tax. Or that Western Digital will sell their 160GB drive for $70 incl tax (well, that will happen soon of course, but you get my point ;)). I only do substantial rebates that either give me the item for free (excl tax) or at a substantially reduced cost not matched by any online retailer. Unless it's something I would have bought anyway, then I do the smaller ones too.

Let's hope this didn't jinx me, I have 3 outstanding rebates now, one of which was sent in 3 months ago... hmmm... ;)

/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I would. But I doubt that McAfee will start selling their newest software for $6 incl tax soon. Or that Belkin will start selling their surge protectors for $1 incl tax. Or that Western Digital will sell their 160GB drive for $70 incl tax (well, that will happen soon of course, but you get my point ;)). I only do substantial rebates that either give me the item for free (excl tax) or at a substantially reduced cost not matched by any online retailer. Unless it's something I would have bought anyway, then I do the smaller ones too.

Let's hope this didn't jinx me, I have 3 outstanding rebates now, one of which was sent in 3 months ago... hmmm... ;)

/Mike

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'm the same way. I will definitely do an online order before an after-rebate item.

But $20 AR for an 80GB, 8MB cache drive? (now that was a killer deal - I got 2 of them)
$10 AR for Master & Commander, & Kill Bill (new, release week)?
$30 AR for 256MB PC2700? (Online rate is about $40+ for a decent brand)

It's worth the hassle, sometimes.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'm the same way. I will definitely do an online order before an after-rebate item.

But $20 AR for an 80GB, 8MB cache drive? (now that was a killer deal - I got 2 of them)
$10 AR for Master & Commander, & Kill Bill (new, release week)?
$30 AR for 256MB PC2700? (Online rate is about $40+ for a decent brand)

It's worth the hassle, sometimes.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
$20 check arrived today. Done with the D-Link rebate. BTW, I have been very happy with my D-Link wireless router and wireless desktop and laptop cards.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
$20 check arrived today. Done with the D-Link rebate. BTW, I have been very happy with my D-Link wireless router and wireless desktop and laptop cards.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I LOVE rebates. I LOVE the fact that a lot of people don't send them in. This allows merchants to often offer post-rebate pricing that they would otherwise not be able to offer. So far this year, I've submitted $1075 worth of rebates. I've received over $900 back and should receive the rest within 4 weeks. I keep track of them and have only had to resubmit one rebate so far this year (which I then received). Rebates have allowed me to get a lot of software for free (paid tax), as well as a $450 digital camera for $104 after rebates and discounts. This has been the year of the "deal" for me.

Stew

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
While I despise rebates also, Dell has the smoothest rebate process I have experienced. Always prompt (and usually substantial). I just never understood a mail-in rebate on a company that deals direct to consumer.....

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
I hate this new trend in rebates where you can fill out your information on-line, but still have to print the form and mail it - without even needing to include anything else. How completely absurd. Maybe it's easier to fil out than those little forms, and maybe it speeds things up in terms of processing because they already have your information electronically, but all they're trying to do is add one extra step (mailing) to try and slip you up so you don't get your money. Just let people fill out their info on-line and be done with it.

That said, I was happy to have received an unexpected confirmation e-mail from Canon (via RebateHQ.com) last night for a rebate I sent in completely by mail. That was a nice bit of extra effort on their part.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I'm back in the rebate business. Just bought a Western Digital 80 gig HDD with 8 meg cache, 7200 RPM. Very nice and very quiet. $95 with a $20 BB rebate and $30 WD rebate so final cost will be $45. A great drive and a sweet deal except for the rebate process. Oh well, here we go again........

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I got a $20.00 Cdn. rebate on the iRiver I picked up. But knowing me, I won't bother filling out the info and mailing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks