What's new

I guess this is a sign that I need time off... (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, while typing up a reply to a thread here on the HTF- I heard a loud hissing noise in my office. At first it sounded like I has sprung an air leak somewhere. My computer shut off- and I noticed a puff of white smoke flowing out of the back of the computer case!
Appearantly my Power Supply burst into flames. So, I guess I'll be going shopping to see where I can find an ATX supply locally. Guess I'm stuck driving 45 minutes to Comp USA.
Thankfully I have an army of computers in the house- but all are kind of a pain to use for websurfing- so I guess I'll be in partial capacity here on the forum for a couple days.
Ugh. All kind words and generous donations can be fwd'd c/o the HTF. ;)
-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
So it's true, smoke is what makes electronics work!
Indeed- once again I have personally proved the "compressed smoke theory". Everything is actually made of compressed smoke. When you release the smoke from a part of an electronic device- it no longer functions.

This is appoximately my 20th experiment which proved the compressed smoke theory-- I wonder when my research will finally be published.

-V

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And the cause? Anything specific, or just "typing too fast"?

Cees

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The furious level at which I dispense knowledge around here could certainly have been the cause. However, more likely it was the el-cheapo power supply that was packaged with the case I bought at the asian importing computer shop that is in the local strip mall.

Again- certainly my dizzying array of endless knowledge could have been at fault-- certainly too early to rule that out completely.

-V

Steven K

Supporting Actor
local asian importing computer shop that is in the local strip mall.
In before the lock :D
Before I go, let me just add this: a UPS can be a life saver. As someone who spends 10+ hours a day on a computer, I can definitely recommend having one of these. Some of my co-workers dont use them, because they "take up too much space" or are "too heavy," but I always have the last laugh when the power goes out and they lose all of their unsaved work :)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I usually leave my two home systems humming all the time and just power off the monitors.

Power supplies causing a fire... That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
One of my coworkers needed a power supply for a P4 motherboard (with that new power connector that a P4 needs), and he found one at Best Buy. I wouldn't have guessed that Best Buy would have it. So maybe your nearest Best Buy is closer than CompUSA?

Capacitors work using compressed stink. If the stink is released (and just one little capacitor has enough compressed stink to fill a building), it stops working.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Man I have had this happen before but are you sure that it wasnt a darker color smoke? I mean I know that the white smoke must have been the Drugs you were hiding inside your case, right? ;)
If you are unable to find one I have a couple of Enlight 300 watt power supplies that I would be willing to let go of cheap. Let me know Vince.
KyleS

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Same exact thing happened to my PIII setup in November. Bad thing is that it left my motherboard and everything else attached to it (Save my Soundblaster PCI) dead. The smoke produced by the power supply stank up the corner of my basment for awhile.

Michael.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Vince, before you go to a lot of expense, check your computer's clock. In Boulder, it's now April 9th... are you sure your clock isn't 8 days slow?

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I would try to cheer you up, but everyone needs to go through the "raging pissed off" stage. This stage may be extended if you find that any of your components are toast due to the combustable PS.

If it makes you feel any better, I somehow managed to kill every single audio and video codec on my system. I am currently feeling the rage....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's true Jason. Some machines, including my car, are glad I never learned karate. I would possibly have divided some of them already with one blow of my hand, on occasion.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks