What's new

I forgot how fantastic Superman was. (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I tried a search and didn't find too many topics. I'm watching it on Encore Action channel, and it's just fabulous. I completely forgot how much I loved this film. I haven't purchased the DVD yet. What are some of your thoughts on this film? When I heard they were gonna do it again with another actor, I thought "NOOOOOO!!!" I thought the cinematography was excellent. I thought the performances were fitting for each part. The film was perfectly cast. And Christopher Reeve was perfect. Hackman was brilliant as Luthor. And the score by Williams was incredible.

It pains me to see this movie though, seeing the condition he's now in. Remembering the way he used to be.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite movies of all time. I remember seeing this one as a kid and just being blown away. It's up there with Star Wars in my eyes. Chris Reeve is the only Superman. Attempting a remake will be ridiculous. Besides, nobody could ever top the scene where Clark Kent goes through the spinning door, comes out as Superman, and flies into the night sky to the sound of, "Woooo! That is one BAD outfit!" :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I like the part where he flies through the concrete roof after miss Tessmacher saves him. Also, the part where he screams after Lois dies. He plays that part perfectly as well. In my opinion, Richard Donner's best film.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Definitely a good superhero film. On the flipside, I forgot how bad Superman II is compared to the first one.
The Superman DVD looks and sounds great, but it isn't the original theatrical version. You should be able to pick the DVD up for $20 or less, so what are you waiting for, Terell! :)

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I also love the interplay between Luthor and Otis. Those two had great comedic timing. :) Superman is definitely Donner's best film, though I think he would have topped himself with Superman II had it not been yanked from him during filming. That is the real tragedy of the Superman series.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I liked the second film, but not as much as the first. However, Superman II obliterates the travesties that were III and IV. As for not having purchased it yet, I tried the other day and Best Buy was out. They're getting another shipment in Saturday.

It's hard to believe that after 101 DVDs, I'm just scratching the surface of what I want to buy.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I still remember the first time I saw the first Superman movie. It was at the Tacoma Mall Twin (when the theater was brand new). The movie blew me away and you MUST get the DVD. It's a must-have for any DVD owner.
John Williams put together what is easily among his best scores for that movie (I still think it should've won the Oscar). A great movie with an even greater score.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Superman II" was good, but nowhere near as epic as the first one. "Superman: The Movie" still represents, for me anyway, the best superhero/comic book flick I've ever seen. Some have been close, but none have matched the coolness of Richard Donner's accomplishment.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Terrell;
Your experience with the film mirrors my own when I first watched the DVD last year. The only difference is that I never realized how good the movie was in the first place! I don't know why I never cared for it to be honest. When I was a kid, we had a taped copy of Superman II on Beta (!) and I used to watch that a lot. I also always considered it to be the better film of the two.
Once I saw the DVD of the first though, that completely changed. I loved the way the film effortlessly flowed from Kal-El's beginnings on Krypton ("That's 'Krypton' with a C-R-I-...?") to his childhood in Smallville, to his discovery of who he really is. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when he "breaks the bonds of his earthly confinement" and spends 12 years learning about life, the universe, and himself. Although the images at this point in the film are abstract, we can still see the physical representation of the human heart, watch it shattered and explode, and then travel through it as if indeed were the firey edge of our own galaxy. The fact that Donner chose the starry backdrop of space for this scene illustrates the endless possibilites of what can be discovered.
Of course, the real fun begins once we get to Metropolis. I never get tired of seeing Lois Lane getting rescued from that helicopter accident. Speaking of which, how can anyone not laugh when Clark Kent looks at little phone booth?
Anyway, enough of my ramblings! Get the DVD as soon as you can. You won't regret it. It looks and sounds great. The commentary is fun and informative, and the extras on the other side (especially the documentaries) will give you a good look at the making of the film. If you're interested in knowing a little bit more about the Superman films, be sure to check out this site. By the time you're done reading, you'll be mad as hell at the Salkinds for hijacking Donner's vision and essentially ruining Superman II.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I loved the way Donner was able to mesh the "realness" of big city hustle bustle with the fantastical that was Superman. The tone of the film was just right (well, until the very end of the film, when it sort of violates the space-time continuum and basically makes Superman a god in some respects). :)
Christopher Reeve succeeded in creating two utterly believable personas in Clark Kent and Superman.
I still laugh about how they had to make Valerie Perrine wear a rubber white top underneath her outfit when she went to rescue Superman in the pool in Lex's place (her nipples were just too much for a PG rated movie). :)
I do find myself rolling my eyes when Superman grabs a hold of the helicopter at its bottom landing ledge because the physics of that shot is utterly incorrect (the helicopter would have rotated back into the building as it fell earthwards when Superman grab it). In the comics, they explain that Superman has a form of tactile telekinesis that prevents falling objects under the force of gravity to rotate around a pivot point (where moments are created due to position or applied force to the object). The real way to save the helipcopter is for Superman to fly above the helicopter and then downwards, match speeds with it, and pull up on some strategic part of the helicopter so that it doesn't rotate when he grabs it.
But all in all, it was wonderful to see a film adaptation to Superman, even with the cartoon physics.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I watched this film a few months ago. The prior time I watched it was many many years ago. I preferred the first half of the film (before he learns to fly). I felt that was better than I had remembered (great plot). However, the second half of the film was not as good as I had remembered and I can't explain it. Somehow it is anticlimatic.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
When I was a kid, I liked SUPERMAN better than STAR WARS and I still consider it to be a great movie, definitely the best comic book film ever made(perhaps SPIDEY will come close). I think the reason this film has been somewhat neglected compared to other blockbusters from the same era is because of the sequels, each one worse than the next. The STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchise has stayed uppermost in people's minds because each film was well made and could stand on it's own next to it's original source. If Richard Donner had been able to complete SUPERMAN II then I think that would have made all the difference and the SUPERMAN series would be held in almost the same esteem as the other great fantasy franchises.

Grant Degs

Agent
I do find myself rolling my eyes when Superman grabs a hold of the helicopter at its bottom landing ledge

because the physics of that shot is utterly incorrect (the helicopter would have rotated back into the

building as it fell earthwards when Superman grab it). In the comics, they explain that Superman has a form

of tactile telekinesis that prevents falling objects under the force of gravity to rotate around a pivot point

(where moments are created due to position or applied force to the object). The real way to save the

helipcopter is for Superman to fly above the helicopter and then downwards, match speeds with it, and pull

up on some strategic part of the helicopter so that it doesn't rotate when he grabs it.
If Superman was strong enough (which he is) he could easily stop the rotation of the object about its pivot point. If

the part of the helicppter which he grabs stays fixed in space completely, then the helicopter will not move at all.

Superman could easily do this by countering the torque with

his wrist

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I also think this is a timeless epic.

IMHO it belongs up there with Gone With The Wind, Wizard Of Oz,Psycho,Casablanca etc (Actually I prefer Superman 1000 times more than any of those).

It really is a fantastic film. One of my alltime favorites.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Definite classic! I posted this thread mainly because the film is appearing on !Encore this month, and last night I watched it fully for the first time in 5 years. I always loved it, but just forgot how great it was. Reeves was brilliant, and virtually an unknown in the movie world back then. He was in soap operas, but that was his big break. All in all a terrific film, and one of William's best scores.

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
"Otisburg? Otisburg?!":D
Ahhh....Superman....The movie that so strongly captured my imagination when I was a kid. Christopher Reeve shall always be the definitive Superman for me and not some dopey Dean Cain whom I must say, nearly ruined the image of such an important iconic superhero in cinema. I was so glad when they decided to release the DVD last year and boy was it good! The DVD is a fine example of how all classics should be treated. The picture transfer and sound were top notch and Williams' rich, fabulous score finally gets the much deserved breathing space in 5.1. Ahhhh..the power and miracles that DVDs give.
The miracle of DVD allows the planet Krypton to look more cold and realistic while on a TV broadcast, they look old and grainy.
The miracle of DVD lends a subtle echo to Jor-El's voice as he speaks to his young son in the Fortress of Solitude. The echoes emanate gently from the surrounds, inducing a sense of spaciousness.
:emoji_thumbsup:
"I never drink when I fly."
:D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I finally got the DVD today. It is a great DVD. The best the film has ever looked and sounded. I like the additions to the film as well. But I always prefer to have the theatrical cut too.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I just watched the documentaries on the Superman DVDs. Absolutely awesome. I also had no idea that John Barry of Star Wars fame was the production designer on the film. You learn something every day. No wonder the design was brilliant.:D As for the Salkind's, they ought to have their ass kicked for firing Donner after Superman was a huge success. He was largely responsible for it being treated seriously and with respect. And Lee made the characters of Kent and Superman. Shame on you Salkinds.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks