What's new

I feel like less of a man (1 Viewer)

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
I moved recently, and I finally got to set up my theater room over the weekend. While paint, shades, sound treatments, etc. are still in the future, the basics are back up and running.

I have enjoyed my SVS PCi 16-46 in my old room (14x16x8), and it will take me a little time to gauge its performance in the new room (17x24x8-20 vaulted).

Visually, the sub pretty much dominated the corner, reaching half way to the ceiling, in the old room. In the new room, because of corner obstructions, I have it placed half way back on of the side walls, where the ceiling is about 14 feet high. The net [visual] impact is less than dramatic, like something experienced after going swimming in very cold water.

So, I figure I need a sub about 8 feet tall, and 3 feet in diameter to achieve the same visual impact.

OK, maybe not, but I am considering a second sub to move air in the increased volume of the new room. I like the SVS sub, but I also like making things, so here I am.

What kind of configuration would I need to compliment the SVS in dedicated HT use? I calibrate at about 70db, if that gives some indication of the volume at which I listen. On the aesthetic side, I'd probably prefer a sonotube design, to match the SVS. Of course, I've got some new cabinet clamps I dieing to use, so a box wouldn't kill me. So, drivers and power?

Thanks,

--Mike

Geno

Supporting Actor
name your budget and im sure you will get many responses.

So if you just want a large tube then I guess an infinite baffle is out of the question?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Build a pair of dual-Shiva water heaters. That will probably get the room going pretty good. Just build a big sonotube and then put a driver and pair of 4" flared ports in each end cap. When yo go into bour box modeling program, just design a bos for two woofers with 4 ports. Or do twin AV-12s and you might even be able to outgun a SVS B4 with your twn water-heaters. There will still be some more elegant aspects of the B4's design as compared to twin water heater-size sonosubs, but the twin sonotubes will be quite imposing.

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the SVS sub is in the 18"x48" range, so something between that and 24"x60" would probably define the size range. Of course, something 8 feet tall would have some comedic value; it would have to have an amp that goes to 11.

In any case, a tube would match the SVS, but I'm not married to that goal.

Budget...kind of undefined. If I spend $600-$800, I won't lose any sleep, but if it only takes $400, then you won't hear my crying, either. I won't need to buy any tools for this, so that's a mitigating factor.

Thanks,

--Mike

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi Michael,

I'm in the area, I live in Auburn. I have a 214L Tempest sub and am in the process of building an AV15 if you are ever interested in hearing either. I know you are going for an impressive look as well as feel though :) My current sub is quite large but not all that tall. Only 34" tall. The AV15 will be a small PR'd enclosure so it won't be impressive in size but will sure sound good :)

Darren

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Holy crap! I have NEVER seen anything like El Pipe-O. *shock-awe-amazement*

I'm reading up on it now. Someday, just for grins....two of those, two 1Kw amps...the amps will double as Shocker Paddles when my heart stops. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks