I feel like less of a man

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael Merrell, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

I moved recently, and I finally got to set up my theater room over the weekend. While paint, shades, sound treatments, etc. are still in the future, the basics are back up and running.

I have enjoyed my SVS PCi 16-46 in my old room (14x16x8), and it will take me a little time to gauge its performance in the new room (17x24x8-20 vaulted).

Visually, the sub pretty much dominated the corner, reaching half way to the ceiling, in the old room. In the new room, because of corner obstructions, I have it placed half way back on of the side walls, where the ceiling is about 14 feet high. The net [visual] impact is less than dramatic, like something experienced after going swimming in very cold water.

So, I figure I need a sub about 8 feet tall, and 3 feet in diameter to achieve the same visual impact.

OK, maybe not, but I am considering a second sub to move air in the increased volume of the new room. I like the SVS sub, but I also like making things, so here I am.

What kind of configuration would I need to compliment the SVS in dedicated HT use? I calibrate at about 70db, if that gives some indication of the volume at which I listen. On the aesthetic side, I'd probably prefer a sonotube design, to match the SVS. Of course, I've got some new cabinet clamps I dieing to use, so a box wouldn't kill me. So, drivers and power?

Thanks,

--Mike

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

name your budget and im sure you will get many responses.

So if you just want a large tube then I guess an infinite baffle is out of the question?

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Build a pair of dual-Shiva water heaters. That will probably get the room going pretty good. Just build a big sonotube and then put a driver and pair of 4" flared ports in each end cap. When yo go into bour box modeling program, just design a bos for two woofers with 4 ports. Or do twin AV-12s and you might even be able to outgun a SVS B4 with your twn water-heaters. There will still be some more elegant aspects of the B4's design as compared to twin water heater-size sonosubs, but the twin sonotubes will be quite imposing.

4. Michael Merrell

I believe the SVS sub is in the 18"x48" range, so something between that and 24"x60" would probably define the size range. Of course, something 8 feet tall would have some comedic value; it would have to have an amp that goes to 11.

In any case, a tube would match the SVS, but I'm not married to that goal.

Budget...kind of undefined. If I spend $600-$800, I won't lose any sleep, but if it only takes $400, then you won't hear my crying, either. I won't need to buy any tools for this, so that's a mitigating factor.

Thanks,

--Mike

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

6. Michael Merrell

You know, I might have to do something like that, just to see the look on my wife's face...

7. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi Michael,

I'm in the area, I live in Auburn. I have a 214L Tempest sub and am in the process of building an AV15 if you are ever interested in hearing either. I know you are going for an impressive look as well as feel though [​IMG] My current sub is quite large but not all that tall. Only 34" tall. The AV15 will be a small PR'd enclosure so it won't be impressive in size but will sure sound good [​IMG]

Darren

8. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    [​IMG] Holy crap! I have NEVER seen anything like El Pipe-O. *shock-awe-amazement*

I'm reading up on it now. Someday, just for grins....two of those, two 1Kw amps...the amps will double as Shocker Paddles when my heart stops. [​IMG]