What's new

Pre-Order I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There is a small bit missing in a couple of shows. Meet My Master's Mother is missing the drum bit, for example. Three shows have different soundtracks.
I just watched that one (thanks a lot it's pretty awful). You see the drum there and there's a quick shot of Jeannie putting the tom toms down directly after the bugle bit but there is no cut in the soundtrack. Music and laugh track never jumps.

I don't have an older print to compare it to. But it looks like a pre-broadcast edit. I think I have it on the Columbia House VHS tape but no vcr at the moment to check

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The drum bit (if it existed) is also missing on the Sony DVDs, so its not Millcreek's fault. I personally don't remember the drum bit, so I can't confirm or deny it. I checked my videotapes that I recorded from TV years ago but its not there either. I can only speculate that maybe Jeannie was playing a piece of music that Sony couldn't get the clearance rights to it so they removed it.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The drum bit (if it existed) is also missing on the Sony DVDs, so its not Millcreek's fault. I personally don't remember the drum bit, so I can't confirm or deny it. I checked my videotapes that I recorded from TV years ago but its not there either. I can only speculate that maybe Jeannie was playing a piece of music that Sony couldn't get the clearance rights to it so they removed it.
The edit is too good. I feel it was an edit done prior to original broadcast, probably for time. The bit was going on too long as it was. The fact that the tom toms are there and she's putting them down next to the drums makes it look like a missing scene.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There is a small bit missing in a couple of shows. Meet My Master's Mother is missing the drum bit, for example. Three shows have different soundtracks.
A publicity pic from that episode appears in the book "The Complete Encyclopedia of Television Programs 1947-1976" by Vincent Terrace [1976] one of the first "all past TV shows"-type books. Always thought it was funny Larry Hagman was
blocking the ear opposite the bugle.
IDOJ2.jpg

Due to Equal Time Rules I am compelled to include the Bewitched listing:
BEW.jpg

How many omissions, mistakes, typos can anyone find in this one (although useful, the book is full of them).

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
A publicity pic from that episode appears in the book "The Complete Encyclopedia of Television Programs 1947-1976" by Vincent Terrace [1976] one of the first "all past TV shows"-type books. Always thought it was funny Larry Hagman was
blocking the ear opposite the bugle.
View attachment 174159

Due to Equal Time Rules I am compelled to include the Bewitched listing:
View attachment 174158
How many omissions, mistakes, typos can anyone find in this one (although useful, the book is full of them).
This brings back memories. I remember that book very well. Back in the olden days pre-home computers, my local library had that book in the reference only section, and I browsed through it all the time when I was there, and I even made photocopies of a few sections.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This brings back memories. I remember that book very well. Back in the olden days pre-home computers, my local library had that book in the reference only section, and I browsed through it all the time when I was there, and I even made photocopies of a few sections.
Isn't it interesting to see how we used to revisit our favorite shows long before the convenience of home video? Reference books like this were a godsend.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
See, this is the sort of thing that should be on the IDOJ blu ray releases. These are lost to time and their absence can sometimes create oddities with no explanations.

Examples: The Girl Who Never Had a Birthday (2 parts). Jeannie starts to disappear because she's depressed she doesn't know her birthday. Roger leaves on a mission but knows the date. The two parter ended and we still aren't told. We learn it a few episodes later. Why the delay? Because there was a write in contest and the audience member whose date was picked won some sort of prize. But without that info, the show just weirdly delayed the resolution. And God forbid your local syndicated station didn't run that episode or you missed it.

Genie, Genie, Who's Got the Genie (4 parts). Jeanne is locked in a safe and nobody has the combination. By the end of the final episode of this achingly long saga, we learn it. Larry Hagman's badly dubbed "That's it. Four-nine-seven! That must be the combination! Four-Nine-Seven!" was again part of a contest. And again, without that info, it's just a weird audio bit that as kids my sister and I always questioned.

The clip here is from The Case of My Vanishing Master where people were asked to guess Tony's location. But since it wasn't integral to the story, they didn't need the response by the airdate of the conclusion.

I would love to see the other contest clips. This would be a huge part of a holy grail special edition of this show.

Attachments

• Promo Contest Vanishing Master (Part 1).mp4
    12.2 MB

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The edit is too good. I feel it was an edit done prior to original broadcast, probably for time. The bit was going on too long as it was. The fact that the tom toms are there and she's putting them down next to the drums makes it look like a missing scene.
I'm not positive but I seem to recall watching a rerun of the episode on TV years ago and the drum bit was intact. I had assumed the bit is cut from the DVD due to a music edit.

There's an episode from season 3, I think it's the Bootsie Nightingale episode, where the video gets jittery for several minutes on the DVD.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm not positive but I seem to recall watching a rerun of the episode on TV years ago and the drum bit was intact. I had assumed the bit is cut from the DVD due to a music edit.

There's an episode from season 3, I think it's the Bootsie Nightingale episode, where the video gets jittery for several minutes on the DVD.
That was an error on the original individual season dvd release. When they re-released the series in a complete set, the Bootsie Nightingale episode was fixed.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Some interesting fun differences between the colorized pilot and the b&w (from the Sony DVDs).

The colorized has the 2000 CPT Holding copyright notices while the b&w doesn't.

Snapshot000011.png
Snapshot000013.png

Also, the colorized credits are the actual pilot prints with the unique cards for supporting cast not seen in any other episode. The b&w is the standard first season.

Snapshot000012.png

This is from the same time stamp

Snapshot000014.png

Would these be different if they were the same prints but the b&w was just "de-colorized"?

Unfortunately, the Mili Creek Blu Rays don't use the pilot credits. For my digital version (where I restored all of the Screen Gems logos and second season main theme), I de-colorized the pilot theme. They actually made the print a little darker for colorization, so it looks different than the b&w version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks