What's new

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just got my Blu-ray set yesterday. I'm not as upset about the video quality as I am with that annoying audio glitch on the "Shark" episode. How in the hell does that happen??? I've been buying TV on home video for 25 years now and I've never heard/seen such a terrible glitch. I'm ditching this set and going with the DVDs for sure.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Received the set yesterday and will be keeping it. Why not at $0.269/epside. I have the Sony release and the Blu-ray set looks better to me. My system consists of a Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD player, Securo-O-Max UHD HDMI cable, and Sony XBR43X800H TV. The video bit rate ranges from 20-30+ Mbps and the two channel audio is around 900 Kbps. In comparison the DVDs are 5Mbps and 198 Kbps respectively. Motion when the camera pans across a room or when someone moves quickly is stable on the Blu ray set, the depth perspective of the images is very good, and the PQ is as good or better than the DVD depending on the scene. Kudos to everyone that have identified glitches on the release and I look forward to a positive resolution of those issues.

Last edited:

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
After days of internal debate, I returned my set for a refund. I don't really have an issue with the original Sony sets and had just been hoping for a nice video upgrade with this release. But this set sounds like a step backward, and those Sony discs still look better than anything I saw watching reruns as a kid, fiddling with a TV antenna. It's unfortunate, and it'll make me very suspicious of future Mill Creek releases, but they dropped the ball and that's that.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm still struggling over whether or not to return my copy as I really would like to hear from MC what, if anything, they're going to do about the many issues. Even then, I don't know that I'd want to wait an indeterminate length of time to receive a replacement should that be an option.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm still struggling over whether or not to return my copy as I really would like to hear from MC what, if anything, they're going to do about the many issues. Even then, I don't know that I'd want to wait an indeterminate length of time to receive a replacement should that be an option.

So basically, they've got you coming and going, I take it (first a bad release, then having to possibly wait indeterminately for a replacement)?

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Picked up the DVD set yesterday and watched a few episodes. They all look fine and the audio on the "Shark" episode is perfect. I have ZERO problem returning the Blu-ray set and I will also wait for the reviews on ANY future Mill Creek releases.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Picked up the DVD set yesterday and watched a few episodes. They all look fine and the audio on the "Shark" episode is perfect. I have ZERO problem returning the Blu-ray set and I will also wait for the reviews on ANY future Mill Creek releases.

I take it you're pleased w/Mill Creek's Jeannie Blu all-in-one, notwithstanding the flaws.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
This is from Millcreek's website regarding playability issues of their DVDs or Blu-rays:

Please contact [email protected] with additional details including setup of your home entertainment system and proof of purchase, OR You can reach Mill Creek Entertainment Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm CST at [email protected] and 866-410-9000.

They are located in Minneapolis, MN

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Just got my Blu-ray set yesterday. I'm not as upset about the video quality as I am with that annoying audio glitch on the "Shark" episode. How in the hell does that happen??? I've been buying TV on home video for 25 years now and I've never heard/seen such a terrible glitch. I'm ditching this set and going with the DVDs for sure.
Same here. Minus the problems (which is why the set still has to be recalled) the video quality unfortunately is what it is. Slightly better than the Sony DVD set from a 12' viewing distance. The closer I get to the screen the more things fall apart.

If I were a reviewer, I would absolutely not recommend it. But for me, the substandard not ready for primetime HD is still a light uptick (thanks to the color) over the Sony set on DVD....which in no way is a glowing recommendation.

EDIT: I tried getting a hold of Mill Creek, but have been unable too. I'm not putting any more effort into contacting them, and sadly I think they aren't going to put any effort into making things right for the people that bought this set.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Uh, no. You may want to read my post again. I 'm returning the Blu-ray version and will NOT buy another Blu-ray set from Mill Creek again without first checking the reviews!

Totally my mistake! I did not see "DVD" in there. In that case, thanks for calling me out; I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
As I stated earlier, the slight uptick in picture quality (which some others have questioned) simply doesn't make up for that bad audio part. It's not just a blip either, it's an obnoxious buzzing sound that goes on for over a full minute, drowning out the dialogue! I've never heard anything quite like it on a home video release before.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Mill Creek responding to the complaints. I'll be in the Minneapolis area over the holidays, maybe I should stop by and complain in person?!?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As I stated earlier, the slight uptick in picture quality (which some others have questioned) simply doesn't make up for that bad audio part. It's not just a blip either, it's an obnoxious buzzing sound that goes on for over a full minute, drowning out the dialogue! I've never heard anything quite like it on a home video release before.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Mill Creek responding to the complaints. I'll be in the Minneapolis area over the holidays, maybe I should stop by and complain in person?!?
I say go for it! Give 'em an earful!! :laugh:

Furthermore, if you can, maybe record the annoying buzzing sound onto a device and play it back to them to illustrate your complaint! :D

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
After no word from MC about the many issues with this set and that my Sony DVDs look just as good, if not better depending on the episode/glitches present on same, I set up a return. Mine came from Target so I plan to just drop it off at the service desk for a faster refund (they'll credit it back as soon as it's received at the desk).

Should MC fix the issues I may pick it up again - but not until I'm 100% sure it's a quality release that's better than the Sony DVDs.

**EDIT**
And... it's been returned. Since the online return process gave me the option of mailing it back or taking it to a store I opted for store return - it's faster and I had a pickup as well so would be there already. The CS person gave me grief about it being opened saying "If it's open all I can do is exchange." and I insisted "I understand that if I purchased it in store but I purchased it online and did the return online. It's been approved for either mailing it in or taking it to a store." and it was escalated to someone with "more authority" who argued a bit (I played "Mr. Broken Record"), finally looked at the printout I'd brought in, and did the return. ~$38 back - so it was worth the small hassle.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
After no word from MC about the many issues with this set and that my Sony DVDs look just as good, if not better depending on the episode/glitches present on same, I set up a return. Mine came from Target so I plan to just drop it off at the service desk for a faster refund (they'll credit it back as soon as it's received at the desk).

Should MC fix the issues I may pick it up again - but not until I'm 100% sure it's a quality release that's better than the Sony DVDs.
When pigs fly ----this successful release for them is a done deal. Thats the way all companies should handle a problem. Ignore the outcry, and complaints from consumers, collect your money, and move on:angry:

mark27b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Now reduced to $38.39 instead of $47.99 (with a list price of $85.99) if you see the $9.60 coupon

Attachments

• CC296A78-4CD2-4C20-8A2A-9B389F8ABDF1.jpeg
    CC296A78-4CD2-4C20-8A2A-9B389F8ABDF1.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 4B70FCDE-E64E-495C-A579-BAE8FE4EDD7E.jpeg
    4B70FCDE-E64E-495C-A579-BAE8FE4EDD7E.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 7

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I saw that coupon, too. It's a good deal if you don't have the show already, but it's not worth it to me since I already own the DVD sets. There's no reason for me to buy a Blu-ray set if the picture quality is not true HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks