What's new

I did it finally. Got my B&K !!! (1 Viewer)

Kenny C

Agent
Hello everyone. I finally make the plunge today and picked up a Ref 30 and i went with the Ref 7270. It sounds great so far, but no really sure if i hooked up everything correctly :frowning: The sound that comes out of my speakers seem much cripser. Haven't played a DVD yet, still trying to make sure all my components are hooked in correctly.
If anyone have any recommendations on how things should be hook up rigt and how the B&k shoud be setup please replay back.
Thanks eveyone for the help before.
Here is my current configuration
B&K Ref 30
B&K REf 7270
Denon 3000 DVD
Sony 61" RPTV
Sony DBS System
Philips Tivo Unit
Marantz 4000cse CD player
NHT 2.5i Fronts
NHT VS1.2 Center
NHT Super Ones Rears
HSU Research TN1220 Sub

Erik J

Grip
Hi Kenny,
Congrats on the new setup :) After you get things dialed in can you post on how the B&K sounds with the NHT speakers? I have a similar setup:
NHT 2.5i - Fronts
NHT Super One - Center
NHT Super Two - Surrounds
NHT Super Ones - Rears (In the bedroom until I go 7.1)
M&K sub
I have an aging Pioneer Elite DD 5.1 receiver I bought cheap off of a friend (to eventually be replaced with a Denon 3802/Onk 898/or Outlaw 950) and am looking for a good 5ch amp to start with. I've read that Rotel sounds really good with NHT and was wondering how the B&K sounds with them. The Pioneer is a tad bright with the 2.5i fronts, so I'm looking for a slightly warmer sound.
What did you have before the B&K and how does it compare?

Kenny C

Agent
Erik

I had the Denon 3200 Receiver. I always wanted to go seperates and now i have. So far I did noticed the sound more discrete and crisper. I have to play some DVDs soon as to see how things really sound.

Thanks

Kenny

Tom_Sm

Auditioning
Erik - If you're looking for a warm sound with the 2.5i's, try to arrange a demo with the Sunfire Cinema Grand 5ch amp. It's the setup I have, and I'm very pleased.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Kenny- Nice system. I'm personally glad to see another informed HT owner who *doesn't* have "Sony-on-the-brain" in terms of their component mix. :)
Gots a Q for ya: Does the B&K Ref 30 have any DSP modes that support a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system for std 5.1 DD/DTS discs, and especially DPL-only discs?
My impression is "no"...
(Requirement of mine for my next pre/pro or receiver-as-a-pre/pro.)

Kenny C

Agent
Kevin, Thanks for the compliments. I wish i can answer your question. Not really sure. Still trying to figure out everything.
If you want a correct answer, I suggest maybe calling B&K.
I played one of my favorite music DVD, Fleetwood Mac, and all i can say is WOW.
So far i am very happy.
I just hope i stay that way for my wife's sake.
;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Kenny- Shoot... I actually would expect to get a better answer from a real user than the company itself! :D
I.e., I have heard that B&K isn't known for it's robust customer service...
Great products, sure, but...

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Another NHT/big amps fan here:
NHT 3.3, AC2, 1.5, one VS1.2a rear center
2 NHT SW3P subs
Onkyo 989
Two citation 5.1 amps bridged to 300x3 for front 3 and 100x2 for subs
You guys should both get the AC2 to go with your 2.5i mains, it will blend very well. HK amps sound great with NHTs, and are cheap! The HK signature 2.1 100x5 can be had for ~ $400 (www.jandr.com onecall.com HK direct) and can be used to biamp 2.5s and drive the AC2. Two 2.1 amps and the Outlaw prepro would be a great $1800 combo....

Erik J

Grip
You guys should both get the AC2 to go with your 2.5i mains, it will blend very well. HK amps sound great with NHTs, and are cheap! The HK signature 2.1 100x5 can be had for ~ $400 (www.jandr.com onecall.com HK direct) and can be used to biamp 2.5s and drive the AC2. Two 2.1 amps and the Outlaw prepro would be a great $1800 combo....
Thanks for the info Ricky. It looks like the Signature 2.1 amps are hard to come by now, couldn't find them anywhere except one referb up for bid on ebay.
I've got until April to decide on something. The Pioneer was fine as a cheap upgrade to dolby digital but just doesn't have the juice needed to bring out what these speakers have to offer. Receivers don't have much appeal after running around town with my friend while he eventually settled on a Krell/Thiel/dual SVS setup.
I'd like to make the jump to separates for

george king

Supporting Actor
I have had the Rotel 1075 for about a month, and absolutely love it. I now have a completely "new" system. The detail is amazing and the soundstage widened and deepend (using a Yamaha 995 as a preamp). This amp was also just given a Gold award for amps by SGHT.

Hope this helps.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Just wish B&K would get on the ball with software upgrades for the Ref. 30. They promise, promise, promise but then seem to say "here's your upgrade: a Ref. 40. Buy the new model." At least that's how they've handled stuff in the past.

Dan

Ron Hanson

Agent
"They promise, promise, promise but then seem to say "here's your upgrade: a Ref. 40. Buy the new model." At least that's how they've handled stuff in the past. "

Not entirely true. It took a while but the upgrade for the REF20/AVR202 is out. For $1000 you literally get Ref30/305 internals. (no upgrades to the amp section on the 202 or any component video switching)

Chris White

Second Unit
Does the B&K Ref 30 have any DSP modes that support a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system for std 5.1 DD/DTS discs, and especially DPL-only discs?

Sure. If you have one rear center, just enter "Surround 6" on your remote. If you have two rear speakers, enter "Surround 7" on your remote. Note: For THX-EX processing, you must select "Surround 6."

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Erik,

A Sig 2.1 amp direct from HK should be fine as a refurb, as it carries the original 2 year warranty (and $20 shipping is cheap). Other 5 channel amps under $1k like parasound 1205, marantz mm9000, etc should work fine too. However, the AC2 for ~ $500 plus a $500 amp IMO is better overall than a $1k amp and no AC2.

Erik J

Grip
Ricky,

Thanks again for the info. I'll keep checking HK direct for a referb. They don't list any on their website right now. The one I saw on ebay was being sold by them so they might be taking advantage of the amp's popularity and using ebay to get a higher price for them. They've got 12 bidders on the one unit. My friend wants to buy the Pioneer back to use with his xbox, so I think I'll just get an Outlaw 1050 for now while I shop around for a used amp. With my gf moving in now and a backyard to finish this spring, the pre/pro is going to have to wait.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chris:
THX-EX processing, you must select "Surround 6."
But that would imply that "Surround 6" is doing genuine THX EX decoding? If you tried to do genuine THX EX decoding on a Dolby (2 channel) Stereo soundtrack, which is really meant for Dolby Pro Logic decoding, what can happen is that because the surround L + R channels only have shared mono info, the genuine THX EX decoding would remove *all* that mono info from those 2 channels, and send it exclusively to the rear center channel. (Kind of a convoluted sentence there.)
Have you ever tried it? :)
Thanks!

Chris White

Second Unit
But that would imply that "Surround 6" is doing genuine THX EX decoding?
Right, selecting "Surround 6" will give you THX EX decoding, assuming you have EX source material. I'm not sure what it does with stereo material. I use an outboard dac and "Direct" for all stereo source material.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Erik,

I have owned several prepros, several power amps, and several receivers used as prepros. IMO, the main advantage of separates over receivers is the amplication (especially for lower sensitivity, full-range speakers like your NHTs). Differences between prepros and the prepro section of receivers is smaller.

I think the best bang for the buck setup is: receiver as semi-prepro (drives rears and rear centers) and outboard amps for front 3 speakers (either 3 channel amp, or 5 channel amp and biamp mains).

You should upgrade as good deals for the following become available:

1) $500-600 receiver (outlaw 1050, Denon 2802, 3802, Onkyo 797, etc)

2) AC2

3) $500-600 bigger 3 (ie, Adcom 5503, Rotel 993, parasound 1203A) or smaller 5 channel amp

Hope this helps,

Ricky

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chris- Don't get me wrong, I'm like you for 2 channel meant-to-be-stereo music CDs, lps, concert videos, etc. No DSP, stereo only.
But older Dolby Pro Logic soundtracks are really encoded as Dolby Stereo, or more commonly now, Dolby Digital 2.0.
Just that a "stereo" source is the worst case test for a 6.1/7.1 soundfield.
I.e., a really "smart" DSP algorythm would do proper THX EX decoding on a DD EX soundtrack. But if it *wasn't* a DD EX soundtrack, it would spot that, and just *add* info to the rear 6th and, if present, 7th channel.
I'm getting curious enough about this to maybe head down to my neighborhood AV store with some example DVDs and try to find a salesperson who knows more than just what the model numbers are, and try it. Of course, their system would have to be set up correctly too. I wonder what the chances of that are... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks