What's new

I am embarassed I don't know about this software question, Why is the TDTESS 1.85:1? (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
The DVD may be tagged incorrectly, but I still think Tom is looking at an unequal stretch that his television is providing.

On my Fujitsu plasma, the stretch and zoom modes override any DVD ratio settings. The DVD player (RP82) is permanently set to 16x9 progressive output.

Older Academy ratio movies, I use Normal mode on the monitor, and I watch with black areas left and right. Anamorphic DVDs of any ratio, I watch with Wide 2 mode, which properly squeezes the image in the center of my monitor. Widescreen DVDs which are not anamorphic (plain old letterboxed) I watch with the Zoom1 mode, which fills the screen. I also use this mode for movies in 1.37:1 but meant to be seen widescreen, like Titanic and The Shining. This is an approximation of their original aspect ratios, basically cutting off the top and bottom of the picture.

There's one more. The mode is called Wide 1, and it is for stretching of 4:3 sources, which I use for all television programming. The center of the picture is stretched the least, the sides are stretched the most, and a slight bit is cut off, top and bottom. This mode is very natural, perfectly fine for most things. I like to watch movies in their original aspect ratios, using the Normal mode, but this stretch mode is fine for Friends and Joe Millionaire.

Some movies don't look good stretched, but many look fine.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Watching one 4x3 movie in its correct aspect ratio on your widescreen set will *not* cause burn-in
:emoji_thumbsup:

I watched Citizen Kane in the "Windowboxed" method to preserve OAR, but I'll watch regular tv broadcasts in Full mode to save on 'uneven burn-in'.

Frankly, my DVD movies are much more important than broadcast tv and I highly doubt that I'm doing much damage (burn-in wise) by watching a few windowboxed movies from time to time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some DVD players will perform the windowboxing for 1.33:1 material on a 16x9 monitor -- I am not familiar with your Sony model and its capabilities though.

My Panasonic RP-91 does automatic windowboxing for all 1.33:1 material, allowing me to leave my 16x9 monitor in FULL mode at all times, yet preserve the proper aspect ratio and proportions (i.e. so strectching) of the film. The added benefit is the player uses black bars for windowboxing, instead of the gray bars that my Toshiba 56H80 uses to display 4x3 material. The gray bars are distracting, especially when viewing a black & white film, while black bars disappear from view with the lights off.

My old Toshiba 6200 progressive player had a similar feature, but it had to be activated manually. I think Toshiba called the setting "4x3 progressive", or something like that.

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
You have read that I am using a interlaced player CX-860 300 + 1, besides the CX-875 Progressive Scan changer. You did read that I used the CX-860 for the Bee-Gees concert, while HTF was off line fixing things last night didn't you?

You did read all that from my last post right, if so, why are you all 'still' saying the TDTESS disc *only* ? ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have the TDTESS DVD menu in MY Home Theater in my sig underneath URL, with your wide screens on 'full', look how thin Michael Rennies face is or Gort on the right side of Rennie and this is a 1.33:1 DVD disc menu!
The menu doesn't tell us anything. Discs of 1.33:1 films often have 16:9 anamorphic menus.

Try posting an image from the film itself.

M.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
George C. Scott's "A Christmas Carol" which is 4x3, is flagged like this. My JVC player scales it to 16x9. REALLY threw me the 1st time. Perhaps it was done purposefully? There is ALOT of headroom. Maybe this was going to be shown in theaters overseas.

:) D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:confused: I don't get this? If this disc is flagged to scale a 4x3 picture to 16x9, then any player set to 16x9 and any TV set set on "Full mode" would result in the picture being presented sans "stretching". Right? If that is the case then this disc is not flagged to display this picture in 16x9 mode. When I put my set on "Full" mode and played this disc, the picture was stretched horizontally. The stretch effect was more subtle than some discs I have seen but it was definitely there.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I think it depends on if your player does scaling. Many don't. Just selecting 16x9, Full vs. Normal etc... won't necessarily show this.
Pop in Towering Inferno, The Thing or some other non-annie titles to check.

:) D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
tom [post an image from the movie as it appears on your tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks