I am embarassed I don't know about this software question, Why is the TDTESS 1.85:1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Vet, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

I watched the Day earth stood still with some friends, one of which said I don't see any stretched faces. Oh Boy neither did I and it's a 1.33:1 industry standard. Jack, Ron I am going to need professional feedback on this one.

I am using a Progressive Scan Sony CX-875 changer. I have my RCA F38310 always in the full not fill format. I am out of ideas why none of the faces even *close* were stretched. The field of view was really, really *wide* like I was watching First Knight which is 1.85:1.

I was at a loss of words when my neifghbor Steve dropped in. Steve knew what he was talking about for both of us had simular HDTV wide screen 16 x 9 formats. My discs have absolutely NO text unlike other discs have, just some around the center to indicate side A or B. I could mistake it for a mirror, What kind of software OAR am I watching? Anyone?

How could they make a 1.85:1 out of a industry standard 1.33:1? We are absolutely delighted at seeing this, afterwords steve and I just threw up our hands. Neither one had any answers towards why this had happened, we put it on 3 more times and each time is shown as a wide no stretch screen. I feel like the doctor to give up on what OAR is or to get drunk!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You just put the 1.33:1 image in the middle of a 16:9 rectangle. If the deck is set to 4:3, you command a center zoom(just like is done for menus) and voila

3. Tom Vet

Jeff you want to run that by me again Steve knew his stuff where did you get that type of info? I never heard of it all my other 1.33:1 you can see fat faces, but not this one.

How can I perform this miracle again and again for most of my concerts are 1.33:1

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have no idea what you're asking from the actual text of your post- but I assume what you're saying is this:

You watched a film with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio in "full" mode- and it filled the screen. This should create a "stretched" look as a result of pushing the 4:3 image out to 16:9... however it didn't appear stretched to you?

Well, I'm not sure why it didn't look stretched, but might have just been the specific visuals didn't make it particularly obvious. It is also possible you were in a zoom mode, which would not stretch the 4:3 image, rather would crop the top and bottom and leave the geometry in tact.

For 4:3 programming, your TV should have a 4:3 mode that places black or grey bars on the side, and formats the picture correctly.

-Vince

5. Tom Vet

Yeah Vince but I always keep in the full not fill mode to avoid screen burn in. This HDTV is on about 16 hours a day with my internet image. Almost filling the whole evelope 7/365. I only get out about 3 times a year, the rest is spent in my wheelchair apartment.

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Hi Tom,
    Good luck with your 'miracle on screen'!

Say, are you a "Vet"eran?

All the best,
    E.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If your contrast and brightness are set at reasonable levels, then windowboxing the image won't present a problem. And unless you're windowboxing the image on a 16:9 display, then you're not going to see a 1.33:1 film properly scaled.

Also, letting the set run sixteen hours a day every day of the week is kind of severe.

8. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    If the faces aren't stretched, then you are in some sort of zoom mode where you are cropping off the top and bottom of the picture. Obviously, this shouldn't be done for films that are in the Academy (1.33) aspect ratio, such as Day the Earth Stood Still.

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i was going to say the same as peter. i bet the dvd is in zoom mode.

10. Tom Vet

Guys I have said it all and properly, I have a RCA F38310 in full (stretch). I have TDTESS in my Sony CX-875 Changer that's Progressive Scan
    Using Progressive Scan and component input that locks the pic in and changers component cable (3) from www.bettercables.com is in a home converted high end component switcher.

www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm

I have the IN3504, I converted the RGBS BNC to phono connecters that are 24K gold plated. It isn't actually home made, but a work around to get 500MHz of Video bandwidth!

I have the TDTESS in the changers EZE slot which is next to discs 300 and 1, I turn on the switcher by an X-10 remote, I change HDTV input to component. I turn on 'CD/neato' Dolby Surround headphone system by X-10 different channel.

I push play abracadabara I get a *no* stretch picture of a industry standard disc. I play Disc # D112660 from Silva Screen Records of NYC, NY to hear Bernard Herrmans score re-recorded by the London Philharmonic in Dolby Surround to listen to first piece, then change over to disc's lousy Stereo sound to hear english language of disc.

When I know music is coming up I change my Denon headphones (1/8-jack) input to CD/neato to hear the piece again in Dolby Surround. I have 7 of the Sennheiser 5 sounds into low impedence headphone *processors* to my left and use Denon AHD-750 ...30 Ohm low impedance PQ headphones, then back to lousy stereo sound of movie.

You all with me or ?

P.S. Devices in audio Sennheiser DSP-PRO, Radio Shack OOP #42-2108 Stereo Reverberation unit with microphone. All cables used are from our sponser, bought over their W.A.T.S. line for safety with Credit Card (5 component), 2.. 1 meter S-Video for Sony INT-250 WebTV "plus" unit, latest upgrade 2.7. 1..1 meter composite for JVC VCR input into HDTV and I don't have the model number of the kitchen sink! [​IMG]

11. Tom Vet

Tony my Toshiba SD-4800 and my JVC XVS500BK mod have a zoom mode, but the Sony Progressuve Changer doesn't, check it out! I love to stay at the keyboard for hours looking up sources and proof usally asked for, if you don't volunteer it right?

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I checked out my copy of this disc. I don't know exactly what is going on with your setup but on mine, Toshiba HX81 TV and Toshiba SD-3109, the image is stretched when in full mode. The disc is 1.33:1 not 1.85:1.

13. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I've had something like this happen. Usually when I watch a 4x3 DVD I set my Toshiba TV to the "FULL" setting, which is appropriate for 16x9 movies. My DVD player (which I believe is a JVC) has two settings for a 16x9 TV: "16x9 Normal" and "16x9 Automatic." If the player is set on "automatic" then it's up to me to choose the correct zoom/stretch setting on the TV. However, the "normal" mode adjusts 4x3 images to 16x9 by adding black bars to the side. I use this mode because I prefer the black bars over the TV's gray bars. This is a problem when I watch a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD, because I get black bars on every side of the picture. In this case I would change the DVD player setting to "automatic" and zoom in with the TV. However, I've noticed that some DVDs must have some kind of flag built in, because the DVD player automatically zooms in on the non-anamorphic letterboxed image. (Though it sounds like a nice feature, the TV's zoom does a better job so I still change the settings.) This is related to Tom's predicament because of the problem I encountered when I tried to watch Paths of Glory with black bars on the sides. That particular title must have the same "zoom" flag as some letterboxed DVDs, because the player automatically zoomed the image to fill the 16x9 frame, with no stretching of the image. I think this is likely the case with the new DVD of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

14. Tom Vet

Gabe on my Progressive changer I have options full frame, letterbox, or 16 X 9. I alway have it set for 16 X 9. You see I had a friend on another forum who said I was right to keep in full all the time because my/his HDTV burned a 4:3 image into the non warranted screen.

Gabe I keep this HDTV on about 16 hours a day. While on line I am listening to the CD/neato jack with my Denon headphones, I have over 455 movie soundtracks to listen while surfing or on this formum. Steve and I were without words, it was Steve that noticed it. Steve said are you sure we are viewing a industry standard disc, I said yes the movie was made in 1951. The 2nd CD/neato has 2 outputs for 2 headphones like the 6 others.

I live in a low rent housing for Elderly and Disabled over age 50 I am 56. The elederly are into the 1940s music not 'evil' rock and roll. I have no choice but to use a headphone system
    but if you read what my system does, than you know it's the biggest treat for a disabled audiophile. Gabe I was red as a tomato, I didn't want to lie to steve, yet I had absolutely no answers for the wide view filling the the 16 x 9 envelope. It was like watching "First Knight" which is 1.85:1

I have 2 DVD changers, 1 Toshiba SD-4800, 1 JVC XVS500BK mod for world region viewing. those two have zoom, the Toshiba zoom icon's can disapeer the JVC does not. I would like to know why the 1.33:1 acted like a 1.85:1, so would Steve. I have a lot of Evil rock and roll concerts which are for the most part 1.33:1. We would like to know how that miracle can be performed again and again. [​IMG]

15. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Tom,

It's an illusion. The composition of The Day The Earth Stood Still shows almost everything right in the center, faces, etc.

When you stretch the image, the center is stretched the least, the sides stretched the most.

Many films I own in the Academy ratio look just great stretched.

Others don't look good. Notably, The Wizard of Oz doesn't look good stretched.

Enjoy your movies.

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey all,

Dee, the "stretch" that his player does should apply to the whole image equally (ie, not stretching the sides more than the center) unless there's some unusal stretch mode on this progressive-scan player or his TV.

17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dee, the "stretch" that his player does should apply to the whole image equally (ie, not stretching the sides more than the center) unless there's some unusal stretch mode on this progressive-scan player or his TV.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know whether his player would have a stretch mode that stretches the centre less than the edges, but this type of mode is not unusual....at least on Toshiba sets. Toshiba's theatrewide 1 setting uses exactly the type of stretch that Dee described.

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

True, but I also thought he mentioned that his TV locks into 16x9 mode with progressive-input (may have misunderstood this...it's not dramatically clear)...which should stretch the whole picture evenly (as should any zoom performed by his DVD player)...if that's the case...

but you're absolutely right that some TV manufacturers have various zoom/aspect ratio modes that cause uneven stretching to the sides vs the center of the image to try to mitigate the problems of filling a 16x9 screen with a 1.33:1 image.

-dave

19. Tom Vet

I know you guys mean well but I have 4:3 Digital Choice CableTV from www.sectv.com that the stretch is quite noticeable. These disc's OTOH are doing something I have never before encountered, that's what all the fuss is about.

I have the TDTESS DVD menu in MY Home Theater in my sig underneath URL, with your wide screens on 'full', look how thin Michael Rennies face is or Gort on the right side of Rennie and this is a 1.33:1 DVD disc menu!

I would love to know how this software 1.85:1
    can be done for all my 4:3 Concerts, or movies like "Jade","The Bodyguard", "Nighthawks",
    "Breakheart Pass", "Black Moon Rising", THEM,
    and "Laura" industry standard releasing in November, I have waited several years for "Laura" 1944 a favorite on AMC, that are all 1.33:1

Men if you can educate me, I/You would in turn educate others how to get a 1.85:1 view out of a 1.33:1 industry standard, ain't that a dandy idea? What are the instructions, I just can't believe it's one disc, the Bee-Gees:One Night Only is behaving like TDTESS, I had it on while HTF was offline for almost 3 hours last night. The concert didn't look stretched at all it looked huge and wide, not small and narrow like a 4:3. Let's figure this one out
    is it my Progressive Changer, NO because I used the Sony CX-860 300 + 1 that's IL last night for the 1.33:1 concert. I am ruling out the players for I had them *set* for 16 X 9, not Letterbox or Full Frame!

Could it be the RCA F38310 received May 1st 2001, let me check the hours used. There is 16,321 hours on service counter odometer. On top "Date of Activation: Unit not activated" (cute, then why is it working and counting hours used?) All tests were performed and they all came back 'OK' in caps. So why is the F38310 performing wide screen 1.33:1, with both Interlaced and Progressive Scan DVD players?

One thing more I measured the the viewing demensions and the HDTV is not a 38 inch diaginol! The true demensions is inside viewing area glass 19 9/16 inches high, and 34 1/8 inches wide. Someone once told me to go by 50% of the diaginol for your height, that would be 19 inches, not 19 9/16 inches. He also told me to go by 7/8 of diaginol would be your width, if it was a 38 it would be a 33.25 inch wide view. I ask you do I have a 39 inch inch diaginol, is this a RCA trial model? There was a fiasco RCA had with the first models that were full of bugs.

My faithful friend of 17 years Wayne Snover of Parkway Appliances on Memorial Parkway in Philipsburg N.J. who goes to factory school tweaked or ISF calibrated this for showroom use, I bought it after it had been running for 2 weeks. I know I have bought a sensational product that turns 1.33:1 into 1.85:1 anamorphics with no blackness *seen* on all 4 sides of the Super Silver Serpent Component cable from our sponser. www.bettercables.com

InlineInc converted switcher with 500 MHz of video bandwidth available. Maybe I ought to send a tachion signal to Professor Scott if he is not working with his transparent aluminum. Ask him what RCA did to their early JX4 models in year 2001, to create 1.85:1 OAR out of 1.33:1 OAR industry standard disc's for a real treat for this guy, this guys in love with the pics he is seeing and so is Steve. Steve is ready to sell his Toshiba and buy this model. I have I told him to take his tape measure along to see which 39 inch units are still available. Or do I have the only one? [​IMG]

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese