What's new

Hurricane Jeanne (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm near Valley Forge, which is in the Phila area; so not that close to Hershey. We got some heavy rain, but nothing off the scale. It got worse as you went west. My wife was driving to Ohio that weekend and she was just ahead of some bad mudslides on the turnpike. Lots more flooding too.

It now looks like I won't be going to Orlando this weekend. The guy we were renting through is leaving due to the huricane. That was enough of a hint for my wife.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am on a supposed "golden" power grid here in Eastern Orlando. Not only are my power lines underground, but I am also connected to a huge shopping mall that is right across the street. So far throughout the storms, I've never lost power *knock on wood*

Anyways, UCF is out on monday and I have a couple friends bunking over tommorrow at my place... my place was built in 2003 and features steel-reinforced hurricane/fire walls and a roof fastened to the foundation, so I am not really worried at all.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Wind is starting to pick up a bit here in Clearwater. Hopefully we won't get worse weather than Francis at my house (mid-range TS winds).

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
We are experiencing some major wind gust now in Boynton Beach.

We still have power so we are watching HBO boxing in HD:D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Crazy.

Have any "experts" given a reason why Floridas been slammed so much in the past 2 months?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'll give you an answer...

Florida has been in the path of the hurricanes. It's surrounded by water that helps hurricanes develop and it sticks out like a not-so-sore thumb. The real issue is the steering currents. They've just been conducive for sending storms into Florida this year. Not enough strong high pressure over Florida.

Meanwhile, we're getting winds in the 50s with sustained gusts into the low 60s. Jeanne's barely a hurricane now.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I just watched what was, for me, the silliest hurricane report on CNN. The reporter was standing knee deep in water, the rain was coming down, and the wind was blowing hard. I was just waiting for some big piece of debris to float down and knock him down. Boy, I felt informed.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I'm in St. Augustine and my power went out yesterday at 5:30 and still out. Hopefully it won't bee long. There was a tornado that touched down 5 miles from my house.

At least I got to watch my Jaguars win before it happened and I got my generator from Frances...
smile.gif

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
quote:I just watched what was, for me, the silliest hurricane report on CNN. The reporter was standing knee deep in water, the rain was coming down, and the wind was blowing hard. I was just waiting for some big piece of debris to float down and knock him down. Boy, I felt informed.

Even better, I was watching Headline News yesterday, and they showed taped footage of a reporter, and at the end of the footage, he got knocked down by the winds.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Here in St Pete, I had the longest sustained "wind event" I can remember. It was windy from about 10pm Sat into the early hours of Mon, really windy from about 4 am to 6 pm Sun.

A good indication of how windy- rain was blowing into my place through a closed, undamaged window. I had towels on the sill to soak it up. About every 90 minutes I had to replace them because they were soaked, as wet as if I had just pulled them out of a swimming pool. I had the dryer running all day so I wouldn't run out of dry towels.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:A good indication of how windy- rain was blowing into my place through a closed, undamaged window. I had towels on the sill to soak it up.

One of the reporters on The Weather Channel said this was happening at their hotel, as well. The wind was so strong and so relentless it was just driving the rain sideways into the walls through every little crack and hole. Just shows how porous even "solid" construction can be.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like we'll have a break in Tropical activity for at least a while.

Other than Jeanne (which is winding down and ready to exit, stage right) and Lisa (which will stay out in the central Atlantic), there really isn't anything out there of interest to possibly become "Matthew" except for a tropical wave just exiting off the African coast.

And as we move into October, the central and eastern Atlantic becomes less favorable for development. Late season hurricanes generally form in the western Atlantic, Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks