What's new

HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME from Image (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Any updates on this?

This is supposed to be released tomorrow, but I don't see it on Amazon, and the Image site contains no details except for the cover. Wasn't there supposed to be some nice extras? This title seems to be completely under the radar even to silent movie buffs.

What's going on?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok i looked at the image site nothing there, and i had the impression that this was due out tomorrow, odd it does have cover art for one of their earlier releases, now that image is distributing CC, i wonder, also the UE of Phantom of the Opera doesnt show on the Image site, and for some reason i cant get to Milestone film and video to see if it is being released through them.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Jack has posted elsewhere (the classic horror film board, if I remember aright) that this disc is essentially complete and now it's up to Image as to when they release it. But I don't think it's coming in the immediate future.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
1) Yes, each DVD will come with a set of some glasses. I think we're going to do four or so.

2) Image is pushing back a lot of their releases this year, as they are putting out less DVDs now. This includes HUNCHBACK, as well as FPA/Blackhawk's other releases. Originally, I was told we would be released sometime this summer, I believe we're pushed to October now.

However, the entire DVD is produced at this point, and Image will NOT cancel the release, and in the impossible case that they do, there are other outlets that we can take.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Out of curiosity, will the old Blackhawk presentation with the music and effects track be an extra on this disc. I used to have it on tape a long time ago

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Caught that showing last night. I'm quite surprised at how (comparatively) good this version looked. It was screened at (approx) 20 fps, the presentation coming in at just under 119 minutes, including "restoration" video credits. As a result, I wouldn't expect the DVD to include the old Blackhawk soundtrack.

As a caveat, Robert Osborne's prologue was surprisingly uninformative, but probably enough for the newbie. He did allude to Chaney's use of a stunt double, specifically for the early scenes as Quasimodo decends from the tower by rope.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Jack , i am still wondering if this is still coming , it seems like it has been a year since the info leaked on here. and it like two weeks till that date you said, that they were looking for a release date, i am looking forward of making a drink coster out of the PD copy that i have.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
From Images site..... 10/09/2007
oh this is turning out to be a great year!

Lon Chaney stars as the gentle outcast Quasimodo in the first film version of Victor Hugo's classic novel, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Paris of 1482 was meticulously recreated on the back lot of Universal Studios for this powerful drama that turned Chaney into a screen legend -- now presented in the ultimate special edition of this timeless classic.
Mastered in high definition from an original multi-tinted print.
New symphonic score compiled by Donald Hunsberger, adapted and conducted by Robert Israel. Recorded in Europe in digital stereo.
Insert essay and optional audio essay through the film, both by Michael F. Blake, author of two books on Lon Chaney.
Facsimile reproduction of original souvenir program.
Gallery of Original 3-D stills (3-D viewing glasses are included with this DVD).
Extensive gallery of 2-D stills including production shots, scenes and advertising materials.
Behind-the-scenes footage of Lon Chaney out of makeup on the set.

and the cover art

http://www.image-entertainment.com/i.../454750.19.jpg

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
FINALLY - jeepers, been waiting (seems like) forever for word on this!

I'm wondering though, if that's really the cover. Looks a little... un-DVDish (not that that's necessarily bad).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This will be mine.

That cover art is a bit weak though. Is that some original poster artwork? I'm fairly sure that this film had a better poster than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I do belive it has elements from original poster art work, much like phantom had great art work, the other poster that i have seen has Esmerelda dancing with the little goat, movie goods has both styles, maybe Image figured that poster was more in line, just showing the Cathedral to represent the movie?
Honestly i have been waiting on this since i got my two disc phantom some years ago. and the fact that they are using poster art work only makes this better

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'll be adding this to my already expensive October buying list. I've never seen a good print of this movie, I'm really looking forward to it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Did the "never before seen Chaney short" get canceled from the extras? That was my only reason for buying so hopefully Image just forgot to list it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks