What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
One of the most recognizable names of silent cinema, Lon Chaney is still renowned today for his mastery of playing tortured (and somewhat grotesque) characters as well as his mastery of makeup in portraying them. This special ability earned him the nickname “The Man of a Thousand Faces”, one which started as a character actor following his breakthrough performance in the now unfortunately lost film The Miracle Man (1919). One of his most recognizable “faces” appears in Universal’s “Super Jewel” adaptation of Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Released several times over the years on DVD and Blu-ray (the most recent release coming from Flicker Alley), Kino has licensed the movie for its latest Blu-ray release.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)

Released: 06 Sep 1923
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 133 min

Director: Wallace Worsley
Genre: Drama, Horror, Romance...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Claude Frollo’s brother is actually in the novel, but is more of a juvenile delinquent there. The Charles Laughton version does the same thing with the two Frollos by giving the more sinister aspects of Claude Frollo to the younger brother (where his name is Anglicized as Jean) to appease the censors.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I don't understand the distinction you're making in the parenthetical statement here:
The restoration team at Universal should be highly commended for their work here, as this film is likely the best the movie will ever look on home video (Flicker Alley’s previous Blu-ray release is the lone exception for that distinction)
Are you saying that the Flicker Alley is better than the Kino? Or that the Kino is “likely” better? Have you compared the two?

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I don't understand the distinction you're making in the parenthetical statement here:

Are you saying that the Flicker Alley is better than the Kino? Or that the Kino is “likely” better? Have you compared the two?

What I meant was that the Flicker Alley Blu-ray could rival Kino's release in terms of visual quality, as both were working with the best available elements at the time. That being said, I believe Kino has the edge here after comparing the two.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My copy is on it's way...I have Flicker Alley so head to head it will be!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, this is a title I’ve been curious about for a long time. And I think I get confused by the later version with Charles Laughton. However I know that the Chaney version is the original and had been highly praised. That said I’ve never seen either and I was curious to see this Chaney version first.

The reason I am posting is that on the midday news today, there was a segment about a screening of this blu ray at the San Francisco Grace Cathedral tonight. And the soundtrack will be performed live by renowned organist Dorothy Papadakos on the cathedral’s famous pipe organ. Plus a performer will play the bells.

I missed part of the interview with her and it gave the impression she provided the soundtrack on the blu ray, but I don’t see any documentation to corroborate that. So I think she just meant the blu ray is what is being used for the visuals and she will provide the audio. Sounds like it will be quite a show.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hey guys, this is a title I’ve been curious about for a long time. And I think I get confused by the later version with Charles Laughton. However I know that the Chaney version is the original and had been highly praised. That said I’ve never seen either and I was curious to see this Chaney version first.

The reason I am posting is that on the midday news today, there was a segment about a screening of this blu ray at the San Francisco Grace Cathedral tonight. And the soundtrack will be performed live by renowned organist Dorothy Papadakos on the cathedral’s famous pipe organ. Plus a performer will play the bells.

I missed part of the interview with her and it gave the impression she provided the soundtrack on the blu ray, but I don’t see any documentation to corroborate that. So I think she just meant the blu ray is what is being used for the visuals and she will provide the audio. Sounds like it will be quite a show.

is it from the Fliker Alley or newer Kino Source?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks