What's new

HTPC video card (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
I am going to use one of my PC's as a HTPC and need to get a good video card in it. My Hitachi 51F500 supports DVI in so I'll want a vid card that supports that. I hear everyone recommending ATI, can you give a an exact model? I would like something in the ~$100. I was thinking of getting this card, anyone heard anything about these? I would prefer something that still works for playing games(something not more than a generation or so old), but also want the best picture quality for the tv.

Thanks for any help

Nick

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Pikc your direction and go with it- Usually the best cards for gaming are shit for DVD playback (esp if you're not looking to spend much money). Many guys who are serious about both build seperate machines (and at the price of computing these days why not)-- or at the very least have dual booth with different cards.

-vince

Nick L

Second Unit
Do I need to get an All-In-Wonder card? Or is there a different option I need to be looking for.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

All in wonder- the appeal is TV output- which, IMHO, is pointless. If you're going to build a PC to output TV signal you're wasting your time- you could buy a standalone DVD player that does a better job for 1/4 the price.

The point of HTPC, and the true power, is outputting higher resolutions (I use mine to output 720p dvd to my HD projector).

You can do so directly on RGBHV if your set has that ability (Nicer HD sets and most projectors will have this- either as DB15 or 5 BNC connectors). If notyou can pass highdef component using an ATI dongle connector on some cards or gettign a $100 transcoder which will take DB15 VGA signal and make it HD component.

You can also check and see if your set will take PC format DVI- but chances are slim.

-Vince

Nick L

Second Unit
Is there an HTPC primer or noob area?

Has anyone tried a Matrox video card? Aren't they supposed to have the best video quality?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There is an entry in the forum's PRIMER AND FAQ (link in my sig) which gives a basic overview of HTPC. It has some links to some other meta FAQs, like on AVS- which might help.

I have a Matrox in my desktop PC- mostly for good multiple monitor support-- I have never heard them touted for video quality... everyone over at AVS (which, you'll find, is one of the major centers for cutting edge PC use in HT) lean towards ATI.

-V

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well then, it is also a waste of time, IMHO- as better cards exist- and the AIW won't work with Dscaler, the open source deinterlacing software that offers excellent cadence detection and a million other bells a whistles.

-Vince

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Well then, it is also a waste of time, IMHO- as better cards exist- and the AIW won't work with Dscaler, the open source deinterlacing software that offers excellent cadence detection and a million other bells a whistles.
Good point Vince, but I dont think that the users of Dscaler or other open source Video software are ATI's prime market. IMHO they are targeting the masses (I.E. The Windows users found on every street corner around the world.)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I think the important question is does your HDTV support DVI-I or DVI-D (digital for computers). Hitachi's site seems to be down aty the moment but searching around it looks liek that set is indeed digital. If it does accept DVI-D consider getting a MyHD card with the DVI daughter board. Get over the air HD signals onto your set via straight DVI.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro.../mdp120_pb.asp

Just ordered mine without the DVI since my TV doesn't have that input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks