What's new

HTIB Upgrade Question (1 Viewer)

chaselo19

Auditioning
Real Name
Chase
Hello everyone, I am currently researching HT equipment and I have been blown away about how much I did not know. I always thought my HTIB was just fine, boy have I learned. I will be upgrading my equipment soon but I have some questions that I just cannot find simple answers to. So you all will be a great help. This is a nice website. Questions. Will my current HT speakers sound better when I buy a Receiver and upgrade the wiring to 14GA?? (I'm still using wire it came with) My HTIB http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-TWZ412-5-Disc-1000-Watt-Theater/dp/B0019BCF6G The receiver I will be buying. Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black) I will also be purchasing the BIC America F12 475-Watt Front Firing Sub. My room is about 17X15. Hardwood floors. However, the dining room is right off the living room. I will be watching Blu-Rays 90% of the time, But I love to crank up some R&B and Hip-Hop, along with Old School Hip-Hop. I want to achieve the "WOW" affect when I turn on movies and music! My budget is around 600$ Advice?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No, a new receiver will not make your speakers sound better, They are what they are... Do not use the speakers from your Samsung with any new receiver. Since (according the the manual I found online) they are 3ohm, they will damage the new receiver. I suggest you skip the sub and instead buy the Onkyo and some new speakers. $600 will not give you a big 'wow' effect in your large(ish) room. It will take that much plus some just for a sub. Add the hardwood floors to the mix and your environment is not ideal. There are some things you can do to help (rugs and furniture are big ones). I suggest getting the 508 and a set of these (or similar). If you need cables check out monoprice.com or get some from your local Lowes or Home Depot. Then save up for a good sub. Maybe put the Samsung on E-Bay or Craigslist. Good luck.

chaselo19

Auditioning
Real Name
Chase
Well aren't you a life saver. I have read a few things about the "ohm" on speakers, but had no idea what mine were, and wasn't to sure on how to find out. I can raise my budget, I am also upgrading my PC with about 600$, but I am starting to learn more towards the HT, now that I realized that I'm not experiencing nothing like what I could. My PC is already legit, i just have the "want the best" syndrome.

I will definitely go for getting new speakers, and the ones you showed were very nice, i prefer black instead of the wood though. Any other good speaker brands/website you know of that I can go for?

THANK you so much for saving me a headache!! Let's say our budget is now 1,200$....=)

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Chase

With a $1,200 budget you will have many speaker systems to choose from. Your task is to find the one that suits your ears better than the others in that price point. Get out into the market and take some of your favorite R&B music with you when you go to listen.

chaselo19

Auditioning
Real Name
Chase
Awesome, well check this out now guys. I appreciate the feedback so far....

Front Speakers

Fluance ES1 High Fidelity Floor Standing Speakers

Center

Polk Audio CS10 Center Speaker

Sub

BIC America F12 12-Inch Front Firing Subwoofer

Reciever

Onkyo TX-SR508

I am having trouble finding some rear channel speakers. I only want a pair right now to make a 5.1 setup, and in the future i will buy another pair for 7.1. I keep reading reviews about how high and low the frequency should be between the front speakers and sub....What does this mean? In layman terms.

Is there anything in the specifications of speakers that I should be looking for? So that all my speakers in my 5.1 setup will fit perfectly together.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't mix and match brands (the sub is okay). You need your speakers 'timbre matched'. In other words, the speakers should all sound the same (when voice pans from left to right it should not sound different as it hits the center speaker). Don't go crazy with the left/right speaker since you are getting a sub. I have not heard any of the other Fluance speakers except the ones I linked to, so I can't vouch for the quality. Plus, you really should go listen for yourself (since you budget is higher, you have many more options). I would suggest getting bookshelf speakers for the left and right, a matching center, surrounds, and a better sub. BTW - With 5.1 there's no such thing as 'rear surrounds'. The proper placement is to the left and right of your listening area. Checkout this guide from Dolby for more tips.

chaselo19

Auditioning
Real Name
Chase
Thanks for the input Bill and David. I actually read the dolby setup guide a few hours ago....so I am going in the right direction. I will be going to the few electronic places we have around here this weekend to sound test, but i feel i will probably only find the good stuff online. I want to stick with floor standing speakers, but not to bulky. And it seems very hard to find floor standing speakers i like, with centers and surrounds that i like as well. Let's put it this way, if u had my exact budget....what would you all go and purchase...this will give me some good perspective on what you all look for in HT. Once again, I really appreciate you all putting up with my lack of knowledge.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Newegg.com has good prices on Polk Monitor speakers, Ac4l.com on Onkyo factory refurbished receivers. TigerDirect.com Vanns.com OneCall.com Crutchfield.com (lots of good info too), Partsexpress.com Monoprice.com Bluejeancables.com jr.com wwstereo.com all good places to wander around in. Avoid Polk subs BIC is pretty good in your price range. My brother has the V-1220.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks