What's new

HTF's own Robert A. Fowkes is a media star (1 Viewer)

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
RAF-

congrats!

I usually devour the Friday entertainment section of my WSJ the same day (they've always done a pretty good job promoting DVDs in their movie review section, BTW), but this past week, we were in the mountains, so I didn't look at it until I saw this post.

Typical article for general consumption, citing the extra electricity demands, no time for remodeling other parts of the house because "they're always watching movies", etc., but good publicity, nonetheless.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Scott_C,
You have a very good attitude and approach to your upcoming Home Theater. I predict you will do a great job and reap many benefits from your investment of time and money. When one considers all the money that people throw at assorted "hobbies" then those of us who tend to focus on a couple of hobbies don't seem to be so irrational at all. Of course, some people will never get it, but, hey, that's what choice is all about.
And, while the WSJ web site didn't include the graphics, here's something that should at least get you the body of the article.
Link Removed
Like I said before, I only wish they had included a URL for the HTF. Oh, well, can't have everything, I guess. (I'm working on getting the graphics from the article and putting them up on my HT web-site once it's updated.)
Rob,
You can call me whatever you want, but just don't call me late for dinner! :laugh:
And thanks to everyone else for the kind words. I think we all share the common goal of advancing the cause of Home Theater in all its forms, and that, to me, certainly is a good thing.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
O.K. Here's what I came up with.
The folks at the WSJ were kind enough to give me the PDF file that they use to create the front cover of their WEEKEND JOURNAL, so I'm providing a link to it so that those who are interested can download it.
If you click on the link below, assuming you have Adobe Acrobat on your computer, then you will be able to view it (and save it if you wish). The file is 213K so it will take a little time to download, but nothing excessive as long as you have at least a good dial up connection.
Enjoy.
I've also asked for a PDF of the actual article so if I get anything I'll share it with you.
pdf file of the cover of WSJ Weekend Journal 01/04/02 (213KB)

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Let me add my congrats here also. I've a copy of the WSJ article and it was indeed nicely done.
Good show :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
RAF,
Thanks for the WSJ article and the nice comments! I can only hope I do half as good a job on my HT as you've done on your's. Even now I'm gearing up for it in terms of the learning process; my parents have decided to create a finished room in their basement and a primary use for the room will be movies, so I'm going to help them so I can learn some of the basics, since I'll be doing the work on my HT. Their room won't be truly dedicated and as such should be much simpler, but still, it'll be good to learn how to put up drywall, insulate the room, etc.
The PDF of the WSJ front cover is awesome - I had to laugh when I saw it. Now that you've "made it", do you think this will increase your value/drawing power on the HT lecture circuit? :laugh:
The article was interesting and I'm glad the writer talked to HTF'ers to get the content for it - HTF deserves the positive recognition (even if the URL was left out of the article:frowning: )

Shad R

Supporting Actor
OH....MY....GOD...

And I thought the $2,000+ I spent on my equipment was too much...man.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Now that you've "made it", do you think this will increase your value/drawing power on the HT lecture circuit?
Scott,
I don't know about that, but at least now a couple of people pay a little more attention when I mention I have a Home Theater that was "featured" in the Wall Street Journal. It's almost as though it validates the project, although the HT speaks for itself when people actually see it.
You should be able to get tons of ideas and advice from many of the members of this forum who have "been there and done that." I know that I did (in fact you might say that the HT would never have been tackled without the help of people on this and similar forums).

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've also asked for a PDF of the actual article so if I get anything I'll share it with you.
Unfortunately, the WSJ informs me that they didn't keep a PDF file of the article itself on page W8, so only the text is still available. I think Paul Jenkins scanned the picture of his daughters on his web site.

(I've incorporated what I have into my newly revised HT web site, FYI.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks