What's new

HTF's own Robert A. Fowkes is a media star (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So I'm reading the Wall Street Journal's Weekend section for Friday, 1/4/02, and there's an article about home theaters entitiled "Now Playing -- In the Basement". And suddenly I hit this paragraph:
Bob Fowkes said:
The rest of the article is pretty interesting, but unfortunately I can't provide a link. AFAIK, online access to WSJ stories is limited to subscribers.
M.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
$35,000 home movie theater
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
If RAF's home theater setup "only" cost $35K then my home theater only cost me one dollar! :)
$35K wouldn't cover the cost of his software, let alone the equipment and the room!
Me thinks someone left a "1" off before that 3! :)
Mark

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
How many movies is there in Robert´s collection?

I think I saw a post a couple of years ago were he said he had several thousand movies..

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The article focuses on basic hardware setups, so I'm sure the figure wasn't meant to include software.

M.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
RAF's home theater is WAY over $35,000...
here is his HT website... take a peek...
Link Removed

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
This guy is my HERO!!! ANYONE who would bang a hole in their house for an HT is a God!!!! I am really pleased he got this recognition!!!!!
So...now you have to put up "The Altar of RAF" like "The Altar of Scoot"! ;)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Robert gets a little ink and everyone gets excited. My name is printed in the paper 2-3 times a month and noone cares. Obviously you guys don't read the Police Briefs section. ;)
Regards,

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
you can easily spend that much on an SUV, "and the minute you drive it off the lot, it's devalued." The best part? "At home, I don't have someone behind me yelling, 'Watch this part, this is where he gets killed!'"
Robert, my wife, who wants an SUV, now officially hates you!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
RAF, if you are looking for an usher, and you pay over $50,000 a year for that job, give me a holler.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Some comments from the "media star:" :laugh:
Peter said:
Ryan,
Sorry, but that's why I have grandchildren! :laugh: And now with five grandkids, I'm set for quite a number of years.
Thanks for all the kind words. I think that the article has to help spread the word about HT. Packy has already informed my that there seems to be a bit of increased activity here due to it, and that's a good thing.
Keep those cards and letters coming.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Nope..no call. But if you sent her to my website..only on friday did I update the email button there to my new email.
Que sera! BUT...I would like some day to see your article upfront and personal! DAMN..front page even!!!!!! :D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That's too bad, Scooter. I thought she had your phone number. Whatever. The Scooterplex would have been another nice angle to the story.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
RAF, Simple, all you have to do is make a plaque on the door,

BEFORE YOU ASK, THIS THEATER COST $$$$$$$$$$$

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Anyone have the text to the article? I didn't get a chance to see it but would like to read it.

It's all a matter of priorities.
Excellent point! I think this holds true for almost anything in which you're extensively interested. I plan to build a dedicated HT in my next home (right now I'm in a townhouse - not worth it to build a dedicated HT as we'll be out of here in the next year or two) and have already come up with a figure in my head for room renovation, equipment, etc. When I tell some people the figure, they look at me like I'm crazy. But then I tell them that I'm not out there buying stuff for 25 other hobbies like some are. Not that there's anything wrong with that (there isn't), but that's not where my priorities lie. I watch a lot of movies and derive tremendous enjoyment from the experience, and like many of you am looking for ways to maximize the enjoyment while not going (too) crazy on costs. Performance:price is a good way to look at it; I want my future dedicated HT to look very nice, but I don't require some of the things that may jack up the costs (i.e. Roman columns lining the sides of the theater, etc.).

Just wanted to add my perspective, for what (little) it's worth.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
My God, it's beautiful. That's all I can say right now, it's absolutely beautiful.
I now have a new goal in life. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks