What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Josh Steinberg said:
Forgot to mention earlier, but I watched a new (to me) 3D movie last night -- Disney's "Tangled". Compared to how Disney uses 3D nowadays, this was really well done. Lots of great depth, and while it didn't have a ton of popout compared to something like "Turtle's Tale", I thought it had a good amount that, at least as importantly, was motivated by the story and looked beautiful onscreen. There's one scene that involves floating lanterns at about the hour mark that was just gorgeous, it reminded me a little bit of the scene in Avatar when Jake is out on his own at night for the first time and everything starts glowing all around him. It had a similar sense of wonder and beauty.

The story itself was a bit formulaic and missing some of the magic from the earlier Disney princess classics like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, but it was still entertaining.

Got the disc for free from Disney Movie Rewards with points, all in all I'm pleased with the choice. My copy unfortunately skipped for a couple minutes in the middle, I'm gonna see if I can get them to exchange it, I know it was free but that shouldn't mean "defective".
Hey Josh, go through the chapters of House Of Wax and find the one where they are in the museum and looking at the waxwork policeman, the buttons on his uniform in particular, there was one which always ghosted on my plasma, on my DLP it's perfect.

That scene is at the beginning of a chapter, literally about one minute or so in, they come through a door and get their tickets i think from a person and then talk standing next to the waxwork, well at least i think that's what happens just before the scene.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reed Grele said:
Sounds good. We can coordinate a future get together via the PM route.
You certainly can. Or, there is always the HTF "Meet" sub-forum. Start a thread there and you guys can all subscribe to it. You might even pick up some others!

I've always entertained the idea of getting any Albany-area HTF folks together sometime. I really need to get serious about that. Life goes by so quickly...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FoxyMulder said:
Hey Josh, go through the chapters of House Of Wax and find the one where they are in the museum and looking at the waxwork policeman, the buttons on his uniform in particular, there was one which always ghosted on my plasma, on my DLP it's perfect.

That scene is at the beginning of a chapter, literally about one minute or so in, they come through a door and get their tickets i think from a person and then talk standing next to the waxwork, well at least i think that's what happens just before the scene.
I'll keep an eye out for it -- may not get around to this for a few days. I think what's likely to happen is that "Inferno" will arrive, and that will set off me binging on my classic 3D titles all in a couple days.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Furmanek said:
Josh, how is the Epson on vintage 3-D that generally has a wider parallax, such as DIAL M FOR MURDER or CREATURE?
My apartment is still kind of a disaster at the moment, but if we ever get unpacked, you're absolutely welcome to come by and check out a demo of the Epson 5030 on these titles!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Mike Frezon said:
You certainly can. Or, there is always the HTF "Meet" sub-forum. Start a thread there and you guys can all subscribe to it. You might even pick up some others!

I've always entertained the idea of getting any Albany-area HTF folks together sometime. I really need to get serious about that. Life goes by so quickly...
Whatever happened to the link to our last HTF meet in LA in 2012?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Josh Steinberg said:
Forgot to mention earlier, but I watched a new (to me) 3D movie last night -- Disney's "Tangled". Compared to how Disney uses 3D nowadays, this was really well done. Lots of great depth, and while it didn't have a ton of popout compared to something like "Turtle's Tale", I thought it had a good amount that, at least as importantly, was motivated by the story and looked beautiful onscreen. There's one scene that involves floating lanterns at about the hour mark that was just gorgeous, it reminded me a little bit of the scene in Avatar when Jake is out on his own at night for the first time and everything starts glowing all around him. It had a similar sense of wonder and beauty.

The story itself was a bit formulaic and missing some of the magic from the earlier Disney princess classics like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, but it was still entertaining.

Got the disc for free from Disney Movie Rewards with points, all in all I'm pleased with the choice. My copy unfortunately skipped for a couple minutes in the middle, I'm gonna see if I can get them to exchange it, I know it was free but that shouldn't mean "defective".
G-Force is another Disney title that has lots of depth and out-of-the-screen effects. This was before they decided to do only depth.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Furmanek said:
I'd love to. Of course, I'm in the eye of the storm now with our three releases in the final stages. But if I can make it, that would be great!
I hate to admit it, but I think there's a better chance of your releases hitting their street date before the last of my boxes are unpacked. :)

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Josh Steinberg said:
Do you know anyone who can loan you one, or anywhere you could rent one for cheap for a night? Just so you can actually test it out and make sure that it'll work for your space? I think it will, but it never hurts to actually try it out if you can. My feeling for my own home theater setup, is "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I'm sure a lot of people who have much higher end setups than I do might take one look at the room I'm all set up in, or my combination of gear, and say, "no way, not for me." It's probably technically "wrong" that my projector sits on top of a table against the back wall instead of being mounted, or technically "wrong" that the room has so many light walls. I also spent way more on my projector than my speakers and receiver, and I imagine a lot of people might have gone for a closer to even split, but I've always cared more about the picture than the sound so that's what I did. So I dunno, I don't have any great advice except to say, have fun with it! I've had my Epson 5030UB for about three weeks now, and I'm still blown away every time I turn it on. The 3D quality on it is incredible. My girlfriend likes 3D but gets eyestrain and notices crosstalk very easily. She will go to see a 3D movie in theaters with me, and would watch 3D movies on my LG Plasma TV, but I don't think 3D on the TV ever wowed her and I think she got some eyestrain and mild headaches occasionally. The first thing she said after watching a 3D movie on the Epson was how much easier it was on her eyes. And last week, when we went to see "Guardians Of The Galaxy" in IMAX 3D, during the trailers, she turned to me and remarked that the 3D we had at home was better. (For once in my life, I just took the compliment instead of pointing out that I thought it was just a crosstalky trailer.) Anyway, I waited years to get this projector, and it was worth the wait, and I'm a super-satisfied customer. Whether you make the plunge next week, next year or even further down the line, I think you'll enjoy it. And I think there's a way to set everything up, especially if you don't mind if things aren't 100% technically perfect, that makes for a nice compromise between a dedicated home theater room and an all-purpose living room.
Hi Josh,No I don't have anyone I can borrow one from but I'm planning on a visit to a small store to demo the particular Projector I'm thinking of buying, the Optoma HD131x, I need to check that a projector image is right for me and I don't see these 'Rainbows with DLP.I only have a budget 7.1 audio system and speakers but I think its quite good, My wife has agreed to letting me do the changes so I can put my 55" tv on the end wall then mount a ceiling drop down screen so it comes down in front, also some new front speakers!. Its going to cost more than I thought and be quite a project , as I am really very happy with my tv's performance I need to be sure I'm doing the right thing,I thought I would take T.S Spivet, the Croods and Turtles tale with me when I go to demo it. Maybe some familiar 2D films to.Exciting times ahead!.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Josh Steinberg said:
Forgot to mention earlier, but I watched a new (to me) 3D movie last night -- Disney's "Tangled". Compared to how Disney uses 3D nowadays, this was really well done. Lots of great depth, and while it didn't have a ton of popout compared to something like "Turtle's Tale", I thought it had a good amount that, at least as importantly, was motivated by the story and looked beautiful onscreen. There's one scene that involves floating lanterns at about the hour mark that was just gorgeous, it reminded me a little bit of the scene in Avatar when Jake is out on his own at night for the first time and everything starts glowing all around him. It had a similar sense of wonder and beauty. The story itself was a bit formulaic and missing some of the magic from the earlier Disney princess classics like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, but it was still entertaining. Got the disc for free from Disney Movie Rewards with points, all in all I'm pleased with the choice. My copy unfortunately skipped for a couple minutes in the middle, I'm gonna see if I can get them to exchange it, I know it was free but that shouldn't mean "defective".
I agree, Tangled looks beautiful especially those very black scenes, well they did on my plasma but not so black on my LCD tv, definitely one of Disney's best 3D efforts.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Panman40 said:
Hi Josh,No I don't have anyone I can borrow one from but I'm planning on a visit to a small store to demo the particular Projector I'm thinking of buying, the Optoma HD131x, I need to check that a projector image is right for me and I don't see these 'Rainbows with DLP.I only have a budget 7.1 audio system and speakers but I think its quite good,My wife has agreed to letting me do the changes so I can put my 55" tv on the end wall then mount a ceiling drop down screen so it comes down in front, also some new front speakers!. Its going to cost more than I thought and be quite a project , as I am really very happy with my tv's performance I need to be sure I'm doing the right thing,I thought I would take T.S Spivet, the Croods and Turtles tale with me when I go to demo it. Maybe some familiar 2D films to.Exciting times ahead!.
Nice, that sounds great.

I only have a 5.1 system, supposedly they're some of the very best speakers you can get in the price range, but it was still a budget set and I'm quite pleased with it. I spent way more on the projector because I tend to care more about picture quality than audio (plus I'm limited in how loud I can get my speakers in an apartment, but I think most people probably split their money more equally between visual and audio than I did.

I have my TV behind my screen the way you describe, and it's worked perfectly for me so far. I really like having the dual displays, never really had that before where they both occupied the same space so the seating was the same. When I used to have an SD projector years ago, I had the TV on one side of the room and the projector screen on the other, so I'd have to turn my chair depending on what I was watching. The pull down screen is much more convenient!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ronald Epstein said:
Looking forward to The House of Magic. Someone please remind us about
it when it's ready for release. Hopefully it will have a lot of "In Yo' Face" projection.
Ron, Couldn't wait. Bought the French version.

Very happy to report that this is a 3D tour de force! "In Yo' Face" in spades! You HAVE to get this!

Directed by renowned 3D filmmaker Ben Stassen (A Turtle's Tale) and Jeremy Degruson. Need I say more?

The U.K. version will be one to get though. It's "B" locked, but has English audio.

There's a YouTube trailer (In 3D)!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"So I think that in the future, the current form of 3D will probably die and there will be a few, much fewer 3D films, but films that are truly designed for 3D. And there will not be three per weekend, but maybe ten per year. Films like The Hobbit, Avatar and hopefully a few animated films and hopefully ours will be among them."

This I can actually deal with, ten or so 3D titles a year that the directors actually want to do in 3D. I would rather the number of 3D films be cut down than having the studios forcing film makers to convert their designed for 2D movies to 3D.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reed Grele said:
From that article.
You’re also one of the pioneers of 3D, of course, not only because of your theme park background. The way I see it, at the moment is that it gets tacked on to every summer blockbuster, whether it works or not – and then you have movies like Gravity last year, where it’s really put to the test and audiences like it. So, where do you see 3D going in the future, in maybe the next five to ten years?

It’s going nowhere. 3D, I’m afraid to say, is going to die. Because you have one Gravity, which is absolutely fantastic, for a hundred other films. 99,9 Percent of the films coming out of Hollywood are not 3D. They are, at best, 2.5 D; 2.25 D. The evolution is such that, as we speak today, there is not a single US film shooting in 3D. We started by converting them from 2D to 3D, then a few films were shot in 3D, and now they’re all converted again, because 3D does not work. Well, 3D works fantastically well in films like Gravity and I think we pay a lot of attention to 3D in our films, but most people don’t. Even great films like the Pixar films. I heard an interview with a Pixar director, saying he doesn’t handle the 3D, it’s done in post-production. Not converted – they do render both eyes, but if it’s not part of the storytelling then why do 3D?

“3D is finished
in two or three years”

Audiences have come to realize that. They don’t want to pay extra money anymore to see 3D. The kids don’t want to wear glasses. You can see it in a film like The House of Magic, which has already been released in a few territories: the little kids don’t mind wearing 3D glasses, if they have a sense that it makes a difference. So I’m extremely frustrated, because I truly believe that 3D as we know it today is going to be finished within two or three years
Note his quote about Pixar, i really agree with him here, okay I need to sign off before i throw up over the laptop screen, got a bad stomach bug today. I hope you enjoy your new purchase Martin, looks like it will be up and running before i get mine going again.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
From that article. Note his quote about Pixar, i really agree with him here, okay I need to sign off before i throw up over the laptop screen, got a bad stomach bug today. I hope you enjoy your new purchase Martin, looks like it will be up and running before i get mine going again.
I hope your feeling better soon Malcolm, I doubt I will be up and running before you though, lots of major work to do first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks