What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
RolandL said:
When I saw this in a movie theatre there was very little depth and no pop-out. Maybe the Blu-ray is better?
Possibly, it certainly wasn't full of pop out, far from it but what there was looked good on my tv. I hope I'm not sticking my neck out here!.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Just taken a quick look through Journey to the centre of the earth, the 3D looks very good indeed, seen a few strong pop out scenes so left it there for the full watch.Something I noticed on one particular dark scene was how poor black levels looked, almost like gamma was not correct, dropping my brightness by some margin made it look much better but this must be on the disc itself. Does anyone know anything about gamma or brightness shifts on this title ?.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
Possibly, it certainly wasn't full of pop out, far from it but what there was looked good on my tv. I hope I'm not sticking my neck out here!.
As long as the sky isn't falling your neck is safe. :P :lol: ;)

I would leave your brightness/gamma controls alone for Journey, it's as it's meant to be, i will say that Journey on the TV was good, on the projector this particular title improves by a country mile, it really was made for projection screens.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
As long as the sky isn't falling your neck is safe. :P :lol: ;) I would leave your brightness/gamma controls alone for Journey, it's as it's meant to be, i will say that Journey on the TV was good, on the projector this particular title improves by a country mile, it really was made for projection screens.
Did you notice any misty murky blacks ?, I didn't take notice of where it was so can't tell you offhand. A lot of the scenes I saw looked excellent, infact a few reminded me of T.S. I hope its as good throughout, the flying fish I thought were great!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
Did you notice any misty murky blacks ?, I didn't take notice of where it was so can't tell you offhand. A lot of the scenes I saw looked excellent, infact a few reminded me of T.S. I hope its as good throughout, the flying fish I thought were great!
Possible but it's been a while since i saw it, i thought the 3D was excellent on the projector and just good on the television, i know you hate it when i say that but, some scenes worked less well on TV, for example the minecart scene has something they use to slow down the cart, i forget what exactly, it's metal, it comes flying out of the screen, on the projector i ducked, on the tv i didn't.

Put it this way, if you were to award Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3/5 for it's 3D on a TV and then view it again via projection, you would change your mind on the scoring and what you watched previously, this is a 5/5 when viewed via projection.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
Possible but it's been a while since i saw it, i thought the 3D was excellent on the projector and just good on the television, i know you hate it when i say that but, some scenes worked less well on TV, for example the minecart scene has something they use to slow down the cart, i forget what exactly, it's metal, it comes flying out of the screen, on the projector i ducked, on the tv i didn't. Put it this way, if you were to award Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3/5 for it's 3D on a TV and then view it again via projection, you would change your mind on the scoring and what you watched previously, this is a 5/5 when viewed via projection.
FoxyMulder said:
Possible but it's been a while since i saw it, i thought the 3D was excellent on the projector and just good on the television, i know you hate it when i say that but, some scenes worked less well on TV, for example the minecart scene has something they use to slow down the cart, i forget what exactly, it's metal, it comes flying out of the screen, on the projector i ducked, on the tv i didn't. Put it this way, if you were to award Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3/5 for it's 3D on a TV and then view it again via projection, you would change your mind on the scoring and what you watched previously, this is a 5/5 when viewed via projection.
I think your maybe forgetting that size of screen has a lot to do with 3D to Malcolm, the bigger the screen the more effect and immersive ness as long as your seated at the optimum distance, I saw plenty poking out the screen as I skipped through.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
I think your maybe forgetting that size of screen has a lot to do with 3D to Malcolm, the bigger the screen the more effect and immersive ness as long as your seated at the optimum distance, I saw plenty poking out the screen as I skipped through.
Of course and that's probably why projection seems to work better with some titles, i guarantee you that Journey works better via projection than television, trust me on that, i find the same is true of some other titles, not all, but some seem to lose a little effectiveness when displayed via a television, at least up to 60 inches odd, the difference can be quite astonishing too.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
Of course and that's probably why projection seems to work better with some titles, i guarantee you that Journey works better via projection than television, trust me on that, i find the same is true of some other titles, not all, but some seem to lose a little effectiveness when displayed via a television, at least up to 60 inches odd, the difference can be quite astonishing too.
Ok I believe you!, can you do me a favour, next time your on the PJ pop it up close to give a 55" diagonal and tell me how it then compares with the tv.If the optoma hd131 had a zoom so I could put it either behind my head or in front on a coffee table I would buy one along with a 72" portable or homemade screen. 72" is small for projector standards I know but its a lot bigger than 55" at the same seating distance, What's the next DLP with a zoom ?.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
Ok I believe you!, can you do me a favour, next time your on the PJ pop it up close to give a 55" diagonal and tell me how it then compares with the tv.If the optoma hd131 had a zoom so I could put it either behind my head or in front on a coffee table I would buy one along with a 72" portable or homemade screen. 72" is small for projector standards I know but its a lot bigger than 55" at the same seating distance,What's the next DLP with a zoom ?.
That's my point Martin, at 55 inches, even at 60 or 65 you lose effectiveness with several of the 3D scenes on Journey, that's why viewing it via projection is wonderful for me, we are on the same page here. 3D improves with the size of the image, as does 2D.

It does have a zoom, but according to the projector calculator you would need it ceiling mounted in front of you due to the size of the screen, probably a little over 7 foot from the screen, now if you went for a larger screen it can go behind your head.

Now there is also the Benq W1080 short throw, it might do the job, i think it's IR glasses and not DLP link, DLP link suck, that one would go 4 foot from the screen for a 72 inch picture, remember possible light leakage and noise is a factor with projection, that's why i like them behind me and not in front, of course Optoma has it's new projectors coming out soon to replace the H131Xe and by all accounts it could be an improvement with limited lens shift, an RGBRGB colour wheel as opposed to an RGBCMY one.

The lamp dimming tech may be worse, the H131Xe lamp dimming tech works very well, i can't see it in operation, i believe Optoma have taken a backwards step with the latest implementation, mind you with 3D you can keep that switched off.

I'd go for homemade over those portable ones with the crinkles and creases everywhere.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
That's my point Martin, at 55 inches, even at 60 or 65 you lose effectiveness with several of the 3D scenes on Journey, that's why viewing it via projection is wonderful for me, we are on the same page here. 3D improves with the size of the image, as does 2D. It does have a zoom, but according to the projector calculator you would need it ceiling mounted in front of you due to the size of the screen, probably a little over 7 foot from the screen, now if you went for a larger screen it can go behind your head. Now there is also the Benq W1080 short throw, it might do the job, i think it's IR glasses and not DLP link, DLP link suck, that one would go 4 foot from the screen for a 72 inch picture, remember possible light leakage and noise is a factor with projection, that's why i like them behind me and not in front, of course Optoma has it's new projectors coming out soon to replace the H131Xe and by all accounts it could be an improvement with limited lens shift, an RGBRGB colour wheel as opposed to an RGBCMY one. The lamp dimming tech may be worse, the H131Xe lamp dimming tech works very well, i can't see it in operation, i believe Optoma have taken a backwards step with the latest implementation, mind you with 3D you can keep that switched off. I'd go for homemade over those portable ones with the crinkles and creases everywhere.
That's all I needed to know, So what's DLP link glasses ?, can the Benq run the same glasses you have ?. I found IR glasses lose sync easily but RF doesn't.That's a short distance for sure at 4 ft for 72", what's the other end of the scale, I mean could I mount it behind and above say 12 feet from the screen and make a 72" picture ?.Sorry this is off topic for others so will pm.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
That's all I needed to know,So what's DLP link glasses ?, can the Benq run the same glasses you have ?. I found IR glasses lose sync easily but RF doesn't.That's a short distance for sure at 4 ft for 72", what's the other end of the scale, I mean could I mount it behind and above say 12 feet from the screen and make a 72" picture ?.Sorry this is off topic for others so will pm.
This guide below helps a lot, with projectors you don't want to use the entire zoom as it can affect sharpness coming from the lens, i don't think you can get these projectors behind your head for that size of image, of course there are other projectors but for 3D i'd go DLP. http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

DLP link flashes a white timing signal or a red timing signal onto the screen, many complaints out there of this affecting black levels with red leaking into the image, very hard to calibrate something like that out, they also lose sync easier than RF or IR.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Here's a perfect example of the proper use of 3D "pop out". And why the larger the screen, the better.

A friend and I were watching Pompeii a few nights ago. A very nice real 3D production.

Throughout the first 2/3 of the film, there was some very nice depth, and forward projection, but no real demo quality "pop out" effects.

Then, during one of the more intense eruptions during the last 3rd of the film, several large flaming chunks of rock are spewed forth from the volcano. One of them landed right in my lap!! Believe me, you'll know this scene when you come to it.

We both almost jumped out of our seats attempting to duck and cover! "Whew!" I said. "That one nearly got me!"

This effect would surely have been somewhat diminished had we been watching it on a smaller screen. But when you experience it on a 135" diagonal screen, and you're not expecting it, it can be a real jolt!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Reed Grele said:
Then, during one of the more intense eruptions during the last 3rd of the film, several large flaming chunks of rock are spewed forth from the volcano. One of them landed right in my lap!! Believe me, you'll know this scene when you come to it.
Part of the 3D effect is how far from the screen you are sitting. My Pannasonic AE8000 produces a 11.5 ft wide image. I sit about 15 ft from the screen so, 1.3 times the image width. To get the same 3D effect on a 55 inch LED TV, you would have to sit about 6ft from the set. Most people don't have their seating that close.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
RolandL said:
Part of the 3D effect is how far from the screen you are sitting. My Pannasonic AE8000 produces a 11.5 ft wide image. I sit about 15 ft from the screen so, 1.3 times the image width. To get the same 3D effect on a 55 inch LED TV, you would have to sit about 6ft from the set. Most people don't have their seating that close.
I'm at 10 feet from my 55" tv, I can't pull in closer as my surround speakers would become my rear surrounds, this is my dilemma for position gamma projector as it needs to be in my seat really.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Panman40 said:
I'm at 10 feet from my 55" tv, I can't pull in closer as my surround speakers would become my rear surrounds, this is my dilemma for position gamma projector as it needs to be in my seat really.
Before I purchased my 3D projector, Ron did a review of a 3D blu-ray and mentioned in one scene an object was inches from his face. I was looking at the same scene on my 55" tv and could not touch it with my hand. So, I moved closer to the tv till the object was inches from my face. At that point I was about 6 feet from the TV.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
RolandL said:
Before I purchased my 3D projector, Ron did a review of a 3D blu-ray and mentioned in one scene an object was inches from his face. I was looking at the same scene on my 55" tv and could not touch it with my hand. So, I moved closer to the tv till the object was inches from my face. At that point I was about 6 feet from the TV.
I will always remember Avatar back in 2008 when I went to the cinema, it was only out a few days so was on the biggest screen in our cinema and was packed, It was the first time I have seen modern 3D and I wasn't expecting much... I was totally blown away and clearly remember objects floating right out into the audience. This was the start of my 3D fettish.If only my wife would let me re arrange the room, I could accommodate 120" screen I think, trouble is its both or home so I'm not going to push matters to hard. Maybe I should forego speaker placement and sit 6 feet away from my tv, resoloution is certainly good enough in 3D mode .

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Before my current house was built, you could leave the room over the garage unfinished or come up with your own design. I decided on two rooms, one a bedroom and the other my home theatre room. I could only fit an L-shaped couch in the home theatre room, so maybe four or five people can sit in the room to watch movies. But with an image as wide as 138 inches its just wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks