What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t know if they’re compatible with what you use, but I keep a few extra Samsung brand glasses around - I think the model number is something like SSG-5100. They’re about $10-20 a pair (depending on how many you get at once) and use a watch battery that’s good for like 100 hours of viewing. Super lightweight. Quality wise I get the same presentation I see with the $150 glasses that came with the projector. I have probably half a dozen spares.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
uh oh.

My favorite active 3D glasses have gone out of production, and now ridiculous prices on E-Bay.
So I went for my original pair of active glasses I had, and they have gone the way of the dinosaur too.

I know I can find another pair, but this is worrisome to me. It starts.
Worrisome to me, too. What are you using for a display?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I had 2 pair of ValueView glasses which were perfect for people that wore glasses, alas they don’t make them anymore. One pair broke and I’m really taking care of my last pair.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had 2 pair of ValueView glasses which were perfect for people that wore glasses, alas they don’t make them anymore. One pair broke and I’m really taking care of my last pair.
I got a couple pairs of clip-on 3D glasses that work pretty well, kind of like clip-on sunglasses. I must have got them on Amazon somewhere, as I think that's where I ordered all my 3D glasses.

Edit: These are the clip-ons (they come with arms and clips so can be used either way; the arms detach and you can attach the clip). But I see they're not available.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
uh oh.

My favorite active 3D glasses have gone out of production, and now ridiculous prices on E-Bay.
So I went for my original pair of active glasses I had, and they have gone the way of the dinosaur too.

This makes me glad I replaced my active Panny 3D with the passive LG 3D.

Every time I go to a Real 3D movie, I get a new pair of glasses that work with my TV! :D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I still have a plasma TV which uses active glasses to achieve 3D, but the quality of the 3D on the OLED with passive glasses is unmatched.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
uh oh.

What brand and model were they ?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This makes me glad I replaced my active Panny 3D with the passive LG 3D.

Every time I go to a Real 3D movie, I get a new pair of glasses that work with my TV! :D

Passive is great. But OLED TV won't last forever either. This 3D hobby is particularly finite. Especially now that more and more projectors are losing that feature.
What brand and model were they ?
dlp.jpg

I started buying them in 2015. At the time they were the best selling 3D glasses for DLP projectors. So my fear is that if one of the best selling brands is dropping out, how long before manufacturers follow?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Just activated today

Jurassic World: Dominion [3D Blu-ray / Blu-ray]

Preorder opens expected 10/4/2022. No release date announced but best guess is lat Nov/early Dec. Probably will be Region Free

With current exchange rate it appears to be around $30USD shipped to US addresses. If it goes like most of the RSM items other than the 1st release these should ship from Amazon US warehouses.

Eventually (1-2 weeks after release depending on stock available) Amazon US will probably have a listing via PRIME DVDS marketplace , but No Way Home was $5-8 more expensive once it went live and shipped from the same place and speed

Preorder is now live for those countries RSM ships to -- they're still working on getting the legal stuff straight for the others
I don't think they've announced an official release date, but unofficially I've read Dec 7, 2022

I am expecting direct orders to ship from US/CA Amazon warehouses like their last couple items
Eventually Amazon will have their own listing up though still through RSM/PrimeDVD marketplace and usually a higher price. Current exchange rate makes the direct price around $30USD delivered

I think RSM has said this is Region Free as would be expected from Universal

There is still some delay after official release date to receive the items outside AUS, but the actually shipping time is much faster after dispatch than if they had to actually post from AUS.

Jurassic World: Dominion [3D Blu-ray / Blu-ray]
List price $39.95AUD
after GST removal $36.32AUD + $9.95 AUD International shipping.

The site says "In Stock" on the preorder page, but that's always been a quirk of RSM

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At this point I'm guessing that sites such as Random Space Media are relying completely on sites like this for the "news" that these titles are even available to purchase.

I'm not sure how this is a viable business model. I really don't understand the logistics of how (my guess is between 1,000-3,000 units sold as this is an increasingly, very niche market) small numbers, on a handful of 3D releases is a great business model. I suppose they sell other items also (sorry, have not checked).

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
At this point I'm guessing that sites such as Random Space Media are relying completely on sites like this for the "news" that these titles are even available to purchase.

I'm not sure how this is a viable business model. I really don't understand the logistics of how (my guess is between 1,000-3,000 units sold as this is an increasingly, very niche market) small numbers, on a handful of 3D releases is a great business model. I suppose they sell other items also (sorry, have not checked).

RSM is a small AUS distributor/wholesaler and obviously does most of their business inside AUS selling some of their stock directly, but supplying discs to JBHifi/Sanity and other various AUS retail sites. The 3D discs are almost certainly a tiny % of their overall sales. I'm sure any international sales are likely driven by sites like this, reddit, Blu-ray.com, theri Social Media sites. The only mention I can find of revenue states around $8M in either 2020 or 2021 and less than 40 employees, but I'm not sure if that's specifically just the RSM segment or if it's part of the company

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
RSM is a small AUS distributor/wholesaler and obviously does most of their business inside AUS selling some of their stock directly, but supplying discs to JBHifi/Sanity and other various AUS retail sites. The 3D discs are almost certainly a tiny % of their overall sales. I'm sure any international sales are likely driven by sites like this, reddit, Blu-ray.com, theri Social Media sites. The only mention I can find of revenue states around $8M in either 2020 or 2021 and less than 40 employees, but I'm not sure if that's specifically just the RSM segment or if it's part of the company
Thanks. I didn't figure 3D exclusive discs are the driving source of income for the company.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
By the way I sold my "Far from Home" 3D sealed copy on E-Bay after I realized I didn't want to go through the hassle of buying yet another player (region free) to watch it.
Sold for $80. I did not set the price, that is what the auction (started at $10) ended at. I felt like telling the guy he could order it directly through RSM for half the price, but it is what it is.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope people realize that, I believe, the flat blu-ray in that package is all-region. It's only the 3D disc that is locked Region B. That's why I went ahead and bought this version from RSM. I figured I'd have the flat version anyway even if I couldn't hack the 3D version.

So even if you're currently unable to play the 3D, you can still watch the included flat version on any player.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hope people realize that, I believe, the flat blu-ray in that package is all-region. It's only the 3D disc that is locked Region B. That's why I went ahead and bought this version from RSM. I figured I'd have the flat version anyway even if I couldn't hack the 3D version.

So even if you're currently unable to play the 3D, you can still watch the included flat version on any player.
The only way I buy, and watch comic book films both DC, and Marvel is 3D. If they are not available in that format, I just rent them digitally to watch in 2D. I learned my lesson with all every single film from Marvel over the years. I'd purchase the 2D disc day one and either not watch them at all or just one time, never to revisit.

I always view the 3D films multiple times as it is a much more engrossing/immersive experience to me.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
In case it hasn’t been mentioned here, the Japanese 4K/3D combo pack of Thor Love & Thunder is now available for preorder from Amazon.co.jp.

Usual caveat that the Japanese disc does not include a dedicated subtitle track for any burnt-in English translation subtitles that appear onscreen during the movie. One must view the entire film with the included English SDH track in order to see any translation subtitles. I do not remember if or how many this film had.

Not much so I'm told and mostly meaningless. Certainly far less than the last couple

Amazon Jp is still have weird shipping rates esp on these Marvel Preorders. I think the Oct std release is around 3500 Y and the Dec Steelbook is 5000+Y for now. The last couple items had a similar inflated shipping which eventually came down the normal 2000-2400 around release. Unlike the item price, the shipping charges don't necessarily update automatically so folks either had to adjust/edit the shipping options, cancel/reorder prior to dispatch, and a few who weren't able/forgot were able to contact AmazonJp afterwards and were refunded

Current exchange rate is around 700Y/USD. My last order in late 2021 is was around 890 which it had settled for about a year.

Preorders should be getting ready to go out very soon.

For those that were waiting for the shipping costs to drop, that happened in the last couple days and shipping is now down to the normal charge. I think it was 3500 yen and now it's approx 2000 std /2500 priority. If you already have a preorder then maybe going to the Change Shipping might help or cancel and reorder is a possibility to save the $7-8 (or you can still wait and hope Amazon will adjust it manually afterwards). Yen exchange continues to fall and is now around 675Y/USD

Downside for US folks that were waiting AND hoping to do multiple of the recent Marvel 3D. For some reason AmazonJp is not allowing shipping of a lot of items to the US for the last week.
Probably good news, this affected almost all countries until the last day or two and now EU, UK, AUS, and Canada can order again, but US addresses are still blocked. Most people think this is some sort
of internal glitch and not a new policy since they're still allowing most preorders and at least some existing items to be ordered.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for the heads up! Changing the shipping speed and reselecting the original method didn’t change the price, so I just canceled and reordered. If that winds up putting me to the back of the line for shipping, no matter. I’ve got a busy review month coming up so this wasn’t likely to be a day one watch for me anyhow.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up! Changing the shipping speed and reselecting the original method didn’t change the price, so I just canceled and reordered. If that winds up putting me to the back of the line for shipping, no matter. I’ve got a busy review month coming up so this wasn’t likely to be a day one watch for me anyhow.

Honestly, judging by my reading of Amazon threads I don't think they really have any sort of FIFO deal. Over the years it seems they throw all the preorders made by a certain date into a box and either randomly ship items as your name gets picked out of the hat or ship bases on some weird algorithm based on shipping speed paid and location. Far too often it seems the 1st day preorders are much later than folks that ordered close to the dispatch dates. The earliest preorders seem often to be the folks left hanging when items get delayed/oversold or flat cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks