What's new

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Some interesting reading of late..

Anyway I watched a 3D film tonight I’ve had for a very long time sat on the shelf, ‘The Darkest Hour’. It’s so easy to spot native shot 3D. Knowing nothing about this film it was very different from what I thought it would be, not the greatest ever but we both enjoyed it but what brought it to life was the 3D which was so natural and easy on the eye with fantastic layering and depths through most scenes.
Highly recommended from me but I’m guessing most of you will already have watched it. Fantastic on my projector to a 106” screen.
Is this the movie about an alien attack in Moscow? The other Darkest Hour is the Churchill movie.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Gauging interest in a couple Brazilian 3D discs. Since ordering direct has been difficult to succeed and Ebay prices are rather exorbitant ($45-70ea) even when Ebay has anything. If I order a batch, how many HTF members would be interesting in buying them at basically cost+shipping (approx $18-20ea plus $3-4 bucks shipping/fees). I don;t know how many items Livraria has or would be willing to ship to the US, but they have worked well for me in the past. I do know they won't ship a ton in one order at sales prices or more than a handful of a single title in a single order.

1) Son of Bigfoot 3D (Bigfoot, JR in some countries) has a couple of reviews here in the thread and is from mWave the company responsible for The Wild Life (Robinson Crusoe) and several other films that have rather impressive 3D scores. There are a couple EU release, but none of the 3D discs have English Audio tracks other than the Brazilian Disc.

2) Gnome Alone -- a cute little film with average to very good 3D and I think a pretty nice (if not totally done before) story line. It's got 3D and Gnomes so what's not to like. The only 3D release I can find anywhere in the world is from Brazil. Just like Bigfoot - - English Audio, 2D/3D single disc, Portuguese and one other non English Subtitles

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'd be interested. This was just done on the other forum but I missed out.

If you're talking about bluray.com -- not so much missed out as the waiting list which now seems mostly cleared out. Just to be sure -- you are interested in Both Items, not just one of them?

I'm considering putting an order with 5 of each (actually 2 orders with 5 each it appears from the way they take orders and ship) and taking a wild guess at numbers. At the absolute worst, I can likely sell them on Ebay at half the going rate and still at least more than break even. It sounds like Gnome Alone stock numbers may be a bit on the low side

I;ll put you on the list here along with one other HTF member who I already know wants both

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My Amazon Alita shipped on Sunday via usps and will arrive Tuesday.
It's not going to arrive today, via usps. It's been delayed in transit. Now it's supposed to arrive on Wed or Thur. The online notice says to contact them on Friday if I don't have it. I guess the days of complaining when an item is late are over. The order details don't show if I chose prime of the slow shipping, which I've been doing a lot lately. However today's the release date isn't it? Kinda makes me think I chose Prime.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Alita arrived with me in the uk yesterday from Amazon as expected, it seems only Zoom deliver ahead of schedule here but they were not Sellng this title.

What a shame it’s just the UHD that has Atmos audio, saying that I watched Disney’s A bugs life 2D Blu ray on Sunday and the 5.1 DTS hd unmixed by my AVR sounded fantastic!. Most modern soundtracks seem to have issues I find like poor dialogue or very low volume.

It won’t be until Sunday I watch Alita but looking forward to it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What a shame it’s just the UHD that has Atmos audio, saying that I watched Disney’s A bugs life 2D Blu ray on Sunday and the 5.1 DTS hd unmixed by my AVR sounded fantastic!. Most modern soundtracks seem to have issues I find like poor dialogue or very low volume.
Fox seems to believe that only their UHD titles deserve Atmos, and that the rest of us plebes will get by just fine with a vanilla DTS HD MA track.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Picked up my copy of Alita last night and put it through its paces. It's refreshing to watch a film from a director who actually knows how 3D works, layering his shots in such a way to enhance not only depth, but pop-out [there are a handful of really good projectile shots into the camera]. The DTS HD MA was room-filling with Neural:X applied. This is a release that 3D fans should get. When 3D is the biggest item promoted on the outer sticker, you know which version is the filmmakers' preferred version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks