What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
OMG. Can we stop this talk about glasses free 3D? It's been going on for years with none of these TV's were ever produced for us to buy. If the TV manufacturers aren't interested in 3D, why would they come out with a glasses free TV? They would definitely be more expensive than the current TV's so why would they make them? Even less people would be interested in them than when 3D TV's were produced years ago. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of people thinking these TV's will bring back interest in 3D.
And what if they do? What’s the harm? If it means more 3D of any kind, you should support it. If it’s not for you just don’t buy it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It’s a shame about Disney, they muck up and dumb down their audio on discs and now they ditch 3D on their worldwide releases, soon they are going to try and make some films exclusive to their new Disney channel, the world has gone mad, most don’t want quality anymore, it’s all convenience, or maybe it was always that way and I just never saw it.
DIsney is also all about big profits. They're not interested in breaking even or small profits. 3D on blu-ray might still have been selling in decent numbers, but likely the numbers are not big enough for a corporate behemoth like Disney to bother with, even if they're still making some profit.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
This arrived with me yesterday, hopefully Sunday’s watch.

B9CF610A-5266-468D-82A5-A723F6697B08.jpeg

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
OMG. Can we stop this talk about glasses free 3D? It's been going on for years with none of these TV's were ever produced for us to buy. If the TV manufacturers aren't interested in 3D, why would they come out with a glasses free TV? They would definitely be more expensive than the current TV's so why would they make them? Even less people would be interested in them than when 3D TV's were produced years ago. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of people thinking these TV's will bring back interest in 3D.

I’ve no idea if it will bring back interest in 3D, I do know a lot of people who couldn’t be bothered with 3D was the fact they had to wear 3D glasses yet this included those who wore prescription glasses... I have no trouble wearing both pairs for the duration of a movie, possibly not 2 back to back.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I’ve no idea if it will bring back interest in 3D, I do know a lot of people who couldn’t be bothered with 3D was the fact they had to wear 3D glasses yet this included those who wore prescription glasses... I have no trouble wearing both pairs for the duration of a movie, possibly not 2 back to back.

...do you mean you wore one pair on the front of your head, and the other pair on the back of your head...I'm so confused! ;) :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Glasses free tech unfortunately will only offer depth and very mild pop out, I do not want to invest in that but if it helps get more classic 3D releases then good as long as those 3D releases are not substantially altered to

It’s a shame about Disney, they muck up and dumb down their audio on discs and now they ditch 3D on their worldwide releases, soon they are going to try and make some films exclusive to their new Disney channel, the world has gone mad, most don’t want quality anymore, it’s all convenience, or maybe it was always that way and I just never saw it.

We are still to hear what James Cameron is doing with Avatar 2, he said he was too conservative with the first Avatar, I agree, since then 3D has declined in disc sales, I hope he is more aggressive with his use of 3D, that is assuming he cares at this point, I got loads of discs i need to watch.

Depth and pop out, that’s king for me when it comes to 3D.

There was a TV show last year about how the Titanic sunk. It was shown through old pictures that came alive and shown in 3D. Of course no pop outs, but the depth was there. Did anyone see it?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
After having cataract surgery a couple of years ago, I only need glasses to read. This made 3D viewing much more comfortable. I do remember it being awkward with my glasses. Aren’t there clip ons available for passive 3D in the theatre and at home?

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if there's any chance of the studios licensing the 3D versions of current films to any of the smaller boutique labels for release on 3D blu? Seems like they might be a nice seller for some of these smaller labels, even if the sales numbers are not big enough for the majors to bother.

Kino and Twilight Time have both released classic films on 3D. Seems like that would be a good outlet for the majors to satisfy 3D fans if they're not interested in releasing 3D themselves.

Is it possible to offer 3D through streaming? Seems like that would be another option, though I don't think I've ever seen that offered anywhere.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Is it possible to offer 3D through streaming? Seems like that would be another option, though I don't think I've ever seen that offered anywhere.
Both Oppo 103 and LG's 2015 and 2016 OLEDs have a VUDU App which carries a 3D section of titles to rent or own.
Tried a couple of Disney CGI 3D titles that were never released on Blu-ray 3D.
"The Pirate Fairy 3D" (2010), and "Tinkerbell and the Legend of the NeverBeast 3D". Both in 1080P quality resolution.

IMG_1328.JPG

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Something that’s increasingly on my mind is those of you with 3D TVs like passive OLED. What will you do if your set ever fails ?. Move to projection ?.
Hopefully 3D will return to tvs in the future.

Probably; however, that assumes that 3D will still be available o future home projectors given that every studio is pretty well refusing to put out 3D versions of films even though almost every major tent pole movie has a 3D theatrical release.

The lack of 3D copies in 4K releases is one reason I haven't been buying them. If studios are going to charge premium prices for 4K discs, supposedly because they are a niche product for collectors, then they can damn well give me what I want in the package to attract me as a collector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks