Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jaws 3D

A year ago I posted this in one of the Jaws 3D threads:

"I did. Terribly uneven presentation. Great 3D but marred but what I can only call extreme electronic grain. Especially in the dark scenes. Almost unwatchable on my setup up. Great pop out moments with great depth but marred by a terrible transfer."

We'll I just watched some of it on my LG OLED and Samsung 4K player and...WOW

I see very little to none of the issues I described above. It looks pretty great now for what it is on my current set up compared to what I thought before.

Insane depth and pop out and little of the "electronic" grain I was whining about.

God I LOVE my OLED. I always use to think the transfer was the culprit when it was actually the equipment I was using.

Last edited:

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Jaws 3D
A year ago I posted this in one of the Jaws 3D threads:
"I did. Terribly uneven presentation. Great 3D but marred but what I can only call extreme electronic grain. Especially in the dark scenes. Almost unwatchable on my setup up. Great pop out moments with great depth but marred by a terrible transfer."
We'll I just watched some of it on my LG OLED and Samsung 4K player and...WOW
I see very little to none of the issues I described above. It looks pretty great now for what it is on my current set up compared to what I thought before.
Insane depth and pop out and little of the "electronic" grain I was whining about.
God I LOVE my OLED. I always use to think the transfer was the culprit when it was actually the equipment I was using.

What did you watch with it with before? It looks terrific on my 940C FALD.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What did you watch with it with before? It looks terrific on my 940C FALD.
Watched it on my older SONY 65" LED 3D set. The 3D was very inconsistent on that set. I just thought that was how 3-D was supposed to look at home.

Looked almost as bad on my Samsung 55"

But on my new OLED...what a difference. Still see some grain issues but much more watchable now.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Watched it on my older SONY 65" LED 3D set. The 3D was very inconsistent on that set. I just thought that was how 3-D was supposed to look at home.

Looked almost as bad on my Samsung 55"

But on my new OLED...what a difference. Still see some grain issues but much more watchable now.
There are many conflicting opinions on numerous 3D movies. A big frustration for opposing views. Many blame 3D inconsistencies on movie production or authoring, as in what they see is how the 3D effects exist, yet changes in technology produce stronger noticeable visual definition levels for 3D, giving many movies the potential for a decent experience that was never a factor when viewed from film-projection.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Great. I wonder how much it's going to cost to ship this back to amazon.fr.

I have the same Blu-ray, watched it on my Oppo, and didn't remember at all that it had non-removable subs. I guess it didn't bother me, as it often does. My recollection is that a good chunk of the movie has little dialogue once it gets going, but I understand your frustration.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, for me, it wasn't the subtitles in and of themselves (if it was a 2D presentation I wouldn't have minded). But the implementation of the subtitles had a detrimental effect on the 3D viewing, almost as if they were both pushing the image back and flattening it out. They were just physically uncomfortable to view in my case.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Almost all 3D problems are display-based, be it sync issues in the glasses, the canceling LCD signal not being dark enough, etc.

Tino:
I have what I consider the ultimate challenge for your OLED display. If you have Hugo, please watch and comment.
I will. I recall there be a lot of ghosting and crosstalk on my old display.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Just ordered my 43rd 3D movie...Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.

There's an image scan of a great article from American Cinematographer about the making of Metalstorm posted in this thread.

img729_zpsumisralf.jpg

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Just ordered my 43rd 3D movie...Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn. Only 7 of the classics left to purchase.

were it not for the unaddressed vertical alignment issues, I'd say this was one of the best transfers of 80s 3-D currently available. It's a real shame, particularly detrimental to early parts of the film. In the sections of the film where the alignment is better, I found the 3-D highly effective. Unfortunately some people will have eye-strain by that point and dismiss the whole thing.

I'd advise resting your eyes where it just isn't working.

Obviously it's not a brilliant film, but it has some fun sequences and impressive 3-D. I hope Shout Factory will do some more 3D releases, but pay more attention to the alignment next time.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
were it not for the unaddressed vertical alignment issues, I'd say this was one of the best transfers of 80s 3-D currently available. It's a real shame, particularly detrimental to early parts of the film. In the sections of the film where the alignment is better, I found the 3-D highly effective. Unfortunately some people will have eye-strain by that point and dismiss the whole thing.

I'd advise resting your eyes where it just isn't working.

Obviously it's not a brilliant film, but it has some fun sequences and impressive 3-D. I hope Shout Factory will do some more 3D releases, but pay more attention to the alignment next time.

Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to watch it this week. :3dglasses:
There's an image scan of a great article from American Cinematographer about the making of Metalstorm posted in this thread.

img729_zpsumisralf.jpg

Great article. Thank you for the read!!! :3dglasses:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Just finished watching 'Sing, what an unexpected surprise :dancing-banana-04:, we really enjoyed the film, a simple but lovely story with some excellent animation. Colours were typical of illuminations productions and the 3D was much better than I thought it was going to be too :3dglasses:, as for the Atmos audio... A nice surprise and sounded amazing !.

Thumbs up from me and the wife.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Amazon had PREDATOR and RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION for less than $10 each...grabbed them up for that price. Won't buy any more post 3D and will concentrate on buying the last of the classics I don't have: THE BUBBLE, INFERNO, THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, SEPTEMBER STORM, A.P.E., STEWARDESSES and THE MASK. :3dglasses:

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Almost all 3D problems are display-based, be it sync issues in the glasses, the canceling LCD signal not being dark enough, etc.

Tino:
I have what I consider the ultimate challenge for your OLED display. If you have Hugo, please watch and comment.
Hugo exhibits rare occasions of minor crosstalk on the 2 to 3 OLEDs I've used to view it.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I have the same Blu-ray, watched it on my Oppo, and didn't remember at all that it had non-removable subs. I guess it didn't bother me, as it often does. My recollection is that a good chunk of the movie has little dialogue once it gets going, but I understand your frustration.

It appears as though we don't have much choice. amazon.fr might be the only location selling Dark Country 3-D especially at a reasonable price (my copy was $23 USD w/shipping I think?). After reading your experience, I'm going to go ahead and give it a try rather than return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks