What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
That's Moana watched.. I think what Tino says is about right. The story for me was like a roller coaster, really getting into it at times then suddenly like looking at it from the outside so a bit of a mixed bag, not as good as frozen.

3D was rather good even with the limited seperation, nice depth with occasional pop out. What I thought was quite stunning was the overal PQ and colours!!.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Am I correct in that there is no 3-D release of Ghost in the Shell planned for the States?

No! The 3D presentation was fantastic with lots of depth AND pop-out. It truly enhanced the experience. This really upsets me. :angry:
Ordered the Ghost In The Shell 3D Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook from the UK that has an August 7, 2017 release date.

Just read a post on another thread that a local Target in the U.S. has just "gotten rid of its 4K section" with new releases from the last few weeks. Don't know where this is going.

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey Paul, I picked up the Ghost in the Shell steelbook from the HMV a few hours ago, £15!

Okay, it was the original anime. A double dip. I like steelbooks. :)

The new film isn't a hit and I won't be seeing it at the cinema but it will be a blind buy 3D purchase.

Also bought Rogue One 3D. I watched it in 2D at the cinema.

I still haven't bought Moan-a.

I bought Fantastic Beasts in 3D but have so far only watched it in 2D.

My take on directors of 3D movies is that only a few of them are genuine fans of the format and I have a sneaking suspicion that many of them view their movies in 2D at home.

I'm not even sure they would recommend 3D as the preferred way to watch their movies, simply optional.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
That's correct. It appears that UHD and 2D BD versions are available. A 3D version is currently available for preorder in the UK, but I wonder if it's just a phantom listing that will disappear when the official press release comes out.

I hope not. I pre-ordered it.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I found Rogue One rather dark for the first part and my projector wasn't giving a good 3D experience so swapped to the 2D disc, still found the first part dark but the last 3rd looked fantastic and I can see why it's been said it improves for 3D.
We also watched passengers but the 4K disc as I wanted to try out the new feature on my ub700 Panasonic player which brightens HDR, works very well indeed.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Haven't experienced one 3D title to-date to be too-dark for resolving full HD 3D detail with an OLED display. Hopefully newer projectors will soon follow suit, both in the cinema and at home.

3D director-intended reproduction is closer to perfection today, rivaling ViewMaster quality, than any other time before.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Haven't experienced one 3D title to-date to be too-dark for resolving full HD 3D detail with an OLED display. Hopefully newer projectors will soon follow suit, both in the cinema and at home.

3D director-intended reproduction is closer to perfection today, rivaling ViewMaster quality, than any other time before.

Due to the passive no doubt Paul, active is a lot darker through the glasses as you know and I find a lot of modern films to be just shot to dark not just for 3D. I know it's directors intent but I'm not a fan of it if I'm honest.

My old hat lg 550T I had long ago had bright 3D but poor res as 540 to each eye. All my other displays seemed to have resolved full 3D HD perfectly but I'm still not sure my Epson does, I can't think it doesn't as its against the law to advertise that which they do. I'm maybe being spoilt with the bd upscaling and the 4K UHD discs from the Epson/ub700 combo leaving native 1080 3D looking not quite as crisp..

Unfortunately another issue and a bigger one is ghosting with this Epson, I just pulled out an old favourite Monsters V Aliens and ghosting through out sadly, mainly bright subjects against dark background. I have seen this same disc with same glasses perfectly ghost free on other displays I've had.

I believe Bob Furmanek has some issues to with this model after upgrading from last years Epson. Pretty dissapointing if I'm honest.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Due to the passive no doubt Paul, active is a lot darker through the glasses as you know and I find a lot of modern films to be just shot to dark not just for 3D. I know it's directors intent but I'm not a fan of it if I'm honest.

My old hat lg 550T I had long ago had bright 3D but poor res as 540 to each eye. All my other displays seemed to have resolved full 3D HD perfectly but I'm still not sure my Epson does, I can't think it doesn't as its against the law to advertise that which they do. I'm maybe being spoilt with the bd upscaling and the 4K UHD discs from the Epson/ub700 combo leaving native 1080 3D looking not quite as crisp..

Unfortunately another issue and a bigger one is ghosting with this Epson, I just pulled out an old favourite Monsters V Aliens and ghosting through out sadly, mainly bright subjects against dark background. I have seen this same disc with same glasses perfectly ghost free on other displays I've had.

I believe Bob Furmanek has some issues to with this model after upgrading from last years Epson. Pretty dissapointing if I'm honest.

Sent you a PM.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For those wanting Rogue One in 3D, please note that there is a region-free version available from Amazon.co.uk that is not a limited edition:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rogue-One-...8&qid=1492803569&sr=8-1&keywords=rogue+one+3d

I hate to say it, but I don't think the Rogue One 3D edition sold out in the US because it's in 3D. I think Target and Best Buy to begin with stock extremely limited quantities of their exclusives to begin with. Those exclusives always sell out, regardless of format. The Target packaging with changeable covers and an additional bonus disc, and the Best Buy steelbook packaging, apply to a lot of collectors. I'd love to be wrong about this, but I would guess that the extremely limited supply combined with packaging styles that appeal to collectors probably are more responsible for a sell-out.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Just went to BB and Rogue One is not available. So that exclusive marketing kind of worked. Which I kinda hate. I like that a 3D disc sold well but I hate that exclusive crap.

It wasn't a BB exclusive. I bought my copy from Target where it's apparently also now sold out.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
For those wanting Rogue One in 3D, please note that there is a region-free version available from Amazon.co.uk that is not a limited edition:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rogue-One-...8&qid=1492803569&sr=8-1&keywords=rogue+one+3d

I hate to say it, but I don't think the Rogue One 3D edition sold out in the US because it's in 3D. I think Target and Best Buy to begin with stock extremely limited quantities of their exclusives to begin with. Those exclusives always sell out, regardless of format. The Target packaging with changeable covers and an additional bonus disc, and the Best Buy steelbook packaging, apply to a lot of collectors. I'd love to be wrong about this, but I would guess that the extremely limited supply combined with packaging styles that appeal to collectors probably are more responsible for a sell-out.

That's the copy I have.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It wasn't a BB exclusive. I bought my copy from Target where it's apparently also now sold out.

They each had different exclusives. The Best Buy exclusive featured the 3D disc in BB-exclusive steelbook packaging. The Target exclusive featured the 3D disc, a Target-exclusive additional bonus disc, and Target-exclusive packaging.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We just watched It came from outer space, the first minute or so looked pretty awful and very blurry. I almost pulled it but my wife said give it a while and see.

Turns out looking not to bad at all really and we enjoyed the film, please can somebody confirm a flicker throughout almost like projector lamp flicker ?, I could of paused it to check it was in the video but my wife didn't leave the room !.
Also I took my glasses off at one point and noticed that the 2 images were like shimmering in width, anyone notice or could check that ?.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We just watched It came from outer space, the first minute or so looked pretty awful and very blurry. I almost pulled it but my wife said give it a while and see.

Turns out looking not to bad at all really and we enjoyed the film, please can somebody confirm a flicker throughout almost like projector lamp flicker ?, I could of paused it to check it was in the video but my wife didn't leave the room !.
Also I took my glasses off at one point and noticed that the 2 images were like shimmering in width, anyone notice or could check that ?.
It's been a few months since I watched it, but I'd remember the flicker you describe, and I noticed no flicker. I probably didn't remove my glasses for the movie. If I get time, I will check later tonight.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
It's been a few months since I watched it, but I'd remember the flicker you describe, and I noticed no flicker. I probably didn't remove my glasses for the movie. If I get time, I will check later tonight.

Thanks, it's a kind of background flickering in brighter scenes though out, not constantly but it was there. I've seen it a lot in poor quality movies like the Carry On films on DVD. If you take your glasses off try and find an image that has close seperation (don't pause the video) and they appeared to vary in seperation width.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks