What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I thought the 3D in Fantastic Beasts was great! The wand effects had some popout, and there was a lot of great separation and depth in the image.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Isn't the Great Wall one of those productions specifically aimed at China, perhaps more than the US?

'The Great Wall': Why the Stakes Are Sky-High for Matt Damon's $150M China Epic

The Great Wall is the largest important release to date for Legendary East, the China subsidiary of Burbank-based Legendary Entertainment, which Chinese billionaire Wang Jianlin’s Dalian Wanda Group bought earlier this year for $3.5 billion. Wanda, which also owns the world's largest collection of cinema chains, including North America's AMC Entertainment, is understood to have bought Legendary in the interest of acquiring Hollywood-level production prowess — and also to get a piece of the international box office, where Chinese films have typically foundered, no matter how big their success in the home market (Stephen Chow's The Mermaid made $526 million in China and about $25 million everywhere else).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
With many new theaters having opened with screens that are natively 1.85 and show scope movies letterboxed without even ANY masking, I've given up on theaters altogether. I'll buy The Great Wall on 3D Blu-Ray if it comes out, but I won't overpay to see it in a glorified home projection setup that isn't mine.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
With many new theaters having opened with screens that are natively 1.85 and show scope movies letterboxed without even ANY masking, I've given up on theaters altogether. I'll buy The Great Wall on 3D Blu-Ray if it comes out, but I won't overpay to see it in a glorified home projection setup that isn't mine.

Sometimes, the masking gets in the way of aggressive 3D effects [Ghostbusters 2016, G-Force]; otherwise, failing to employ/install masking is inexcusable.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Sometimes, the masking gets in the way of aggressive 3D effects [Ghostbusters 2016, G-Force]; otherwise, failing to employ/install masking is inexcusable.
One of the reasons I like direct-view OLED so much is that the non illuminated black masking moves - perfectly fitting the intended visible aspect ratio for each scene.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Those 3D effects were designed for backwards screens- proper screens are natively 2.35. "Die Hard" should never be smaller than "Driving Miss Daisy"!

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I had an idea just from watching 2d clips of the Great Wall on my iPad that the 3D looked strong, hopefully the film itself will be better than what's been mentioned. Passengers clips I've seen almost look a little 'Avatar like' ,

Finally got around to Star Trek beyond yesterday, on my projector a lot of it looked pretty dark especially the first half, we enjoyed the film itself though hitch was a surprise after reading so many did not.

What did you guys think of the 3D ?, some scenes that were bright had some great depth but not a lot of pop in general.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can say the 3D in The Great Wall was one of its strengths. The movie itself was okay. At least, it didn't bore me. The film clipped along at a pretty good pace. There wasn't a lot of chemistry between Damon and the actress that played Commander Lin in the film; however, frankly, that didn't bother me as it avoided a certain tired Hollywood cliche. The film felt a little propagandist to me. Frankly, I wonder if the film is getting panned because it doesn't cast a very good light on Westerners while, at the same time, it bathes the Chinese in a virtuous light.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
The Great Wall is now available for pre-order but apparently no 3-D for the States. I did find this blu-ray.com holder page for a UK 3-D release on amazon. There are also holder pages for 3-D blu-rays for Australia, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. It can now be pre-ordered from zavvi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks